PDA

View Full Version : Grate for 6" corrugated pipe

Stonewall
03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
A customer wants a 6" corrugate pipe that drains out the side of a small hill to be closed off with a grate. I haven't been able to find one or come up with a better idea.

Any suggestions?

Stonewall
03-25-2009, 05:10 PM
I found a 6" pop-up from John Deere they said will work.

White Gardens
03-25-2009, 11:44 PM
When I bought materials for a drain at Lowe's, I noticed that they had some grates that would fit for 4 or 6 inch drains.

The problem with your grate idea is that if any debris happens to enter the pipe the grate won't allow it to get out of there. By the time you figure out there is a problem, it would have already backed up.

Keeping it open would be optimal.

Dreams To Designs
03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
The 6" Pop-up should work, as it won't allow critters in, but allow most debris out. In a case like that, it's best to make the grate secure, but still removable, for ease of maintenance. I've used sheet metal screws to secure a grate or Pop-up into the pipe.

Kirk

PSUturf
03-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Is the pipe going to be connected to a gutter downspout? If leaves will be a problem have the gutter spill onto a catch basin with grate to filter out the leaves. Just leave a gap of a few inches between the downspout and the grate. This should keep out any large debris that might get stuck on a grate attached to the end of the pipe. I also attach the grate with sheet metal screws.

PSUturf
04-01-2009, 11:07 PM
I believe Carson Products or NDS has a grate that is hinged on one side. It is installed with the hinged side down to keep critters out.