PDA

View Full Version : How does everyone here clean there stuff????

burge19
03-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Just wondering how everyone here cleans there mowers and handhelds? Do you powerwash them, just blow them off, light garden hose??? I always blow off my equipment after each use but as far as actually cleaning it, will a power washer be to much for the mower and handhelds?

KensLawnCare
03-25-2009, 02:44 PM
run it threw the carwash, just kidding i blow them off soap and water not good for equipment,weedeaters and stuff ill degrease every 6 months or so, actually time for me to do it again just thinking about it

KensLawnCare
03-25-2009, 02:45 PM
im not saying i never wash the mowers but limit to it

kaferhaus
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
We power wash under the decks and blow/hose off the top sides. Even our older mowers are often mistaken for being only a few months old... and keeping them clean cuts down on maintenance and makes maintenance and daily checkouts easier.

Plus it just looks more professional to not be showing up with equipment tht looks like it's due to be scrapped.

JB1
03-25-2009, 03:47 PM
hot water pressure washer.

Cheyney'sChoppers
03-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I will powerwash the decks through out the year. Then take them apart during the off season once a year at the moment to wire wheel everything out and paint the underside of everydeck

mississippiturf
03-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Powerwash 4-5 times per year being very careful to avoid flywheels and air intake. Small equipment gets wiped down after every use and engine gunk applied once per year.

burge19
03-25-2009, 04:29 PM
thanks for all the help

Toy2
03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
I used to wash mine every week, until one day I got water in my 36'' Toro and it ran like crap......now I just spray the deck, and blow everything else.......

GracesLandscaping
03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
other than a frequent "blow off" every now and then when i have time ill go to the carwash and powerwash mine

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Blow off and occasionally wipe off grease, oil, and fuel overspill with mineral spirits or diesel fuel

joshco84
03-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I get home, blow all the grass off of everything and put it up. Power wash the mower a couple of times a year with it RUNNING. DONT SHUT IT OFF. It wont start again if the wrong parts are wet. Also, we use a soap called purple power. Spray it on with a regular little hand sprayer, let it soak 15 or 20 minutes and pressure wash it off. Makes dingy old mowers look brand new again. Takes that scum off of grey exmark gas tanks too.

IRRITECH
03-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Do what???

ed2hess
03-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Well if you keep washing them long enough you will get water in the electric connections and have problem. Never seen a need to wash mowers just too risky. The on/off switches will bind up from just a little rain on them.

Mike Blevins
03-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I spent the last few weeks getting everything "cleaned" and ready for the upcoming season. Now that mowing season has started I don't have to worry about cleaning for awhile. All handhelds are sprayed with degreaser and rinsed with water hose. Honda push mower done same way, It really does clean it up very well. As stated in other cleaning post I am very particular about my equipment. I hand wash and wax my Scag turf tiger. Its the life of a mower period. My mower looks just like the day I bought it. It has 5 coats of wax on it right now setting in the garage just waiting to be let loose when the rain clears up. With the wax "barrier" on it all you have to do daily is just blow it off after each use. After awhile it will start to get grass stain on it and then just rinse it off. I have included a pic of my mower. See for yourself.

Mike Blevins
03-25-2009, 07:44 PM
And no that is not me in the stylish pants and boots. LOL God Bless the old people that are our neighbors and come out to "talk" everytime we come outside. :waving:

IRRITECH
03-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Well if you keep washing them long enough you will get water in the electric connections and have problem. Never seen a need to wash mowers just too risky. The on/off switches will bind up from just a little rain on them.

Golf courses wash there equipment every day, and their equipment is alot nore sophisticated and precise than ours.

Washing your equipment daily is not going to hurt it a bit.

TimsLawnCareVA
03-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I hand wash mine every weekend during the summer. I have never had a problem from washing them. Plus it looks good with clean equipment on the trailer.

Grits
03-25-2009, 11:25 PM
I blow mine off everyday. And carefully pressure wash it. I actually plan on detailing all my equipment within the next few days, cause we are supposed to have lots of rain coming this way. Gotta have something to do when it rains.

tyler_mott85
03-25-2009, 11:42 PM
other than a frequent "blow off" every now and then when i have time ill go to the carwash and powerwash mine

You mean all the car washes that say "no landscape equipment, please."? :laugh:

I powerwash everything except the engine area. Handhelds and mowers alike. On the mower engines i'll use engine-brite or something like that once a year and rinse with low-pressure water.

Green Machine Mowing
03-25-2009, 11:56 PM
I spent the last few weeks getting everything "cleaned" and ready for the upcoming season. Now that mowing season has started I don't have to worry about cleaning for awhile. All handhelds are sprayed with degreaser and rinsed with water hose. Honda push mower done same way, It really does clean it up very well. As stated in other cleaning post I am very particular about my equipment. I hand wash and wax my Scag turf tiger. Its the life of a mower period. My mower looks just like the day I bought it. It has 5 coats of wax on it right now setting in the garage just waiting to be let loose when the rain clears up. With the wax "barrier" on it all you have to do daily is just blow it off after each use. After awhile it will start to get grass stain on it and then just rinse it off. I have included a pic of my mower. See for yourself.

ive heard you talk about this before, allthough it seems anal i think its a good idea. what wax do you use? i dont want to get something that promotes sticking

Mike Blevins
03-26-2009, 07:09 PM
ive heard you talk about this before, allthough it seems anal i think its a good idea. what wax do you use? i dont want to get something that promotes sticking

I used Meguires past wax this time. I know alot of lawn companies around my area and some of these guys never clean their mowers. They don't clean there trucks for that matter. My equipment get dirty of course while usung it. My mowers,truck,handhelds,etc. But bet your ass if I have have time to clean it, it will be cleaned. I know from experience that clean equipment and a good appearance does make a difference in this business or any other. :waving: