PDA

View Full Version : Residential Walk Behind Suggestions

Pool Boy
03-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Hello and this is my first post on this site. I'm looking into getting a 32"-34" cut walk behind mower. Strictly for my own personal use on about 1/3 of an acre. I need to mow about every 3-4 days in the spring and am looking to cut down on the time it takes with my 21" Troy Bilt.
I would like to keep it under $2000. Had my eyes on a Billy Goat 33" but they are no longer in production. The 32" or 36" better quick has my eye now, but not quite sure about the online only thing. The yard is basically flat with some trees, landscaping, and a little wooden fence. Thanks

THC
03-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I hated the quick for the first couple years because I was dead set on TORO but now with Better's duel hydro I think I would give them a shot if I need to buy another wb. Especially considering the price difference.

mdawson
03-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Hello and this is my first post on this site. I'm looking into getting a 32"-34" cut walk behind mower. Strictly for my own personal use on about 1/3 of an acre. I need to mow about every 3-4 days in the spring and am looking to cut down on the time it takes with my 21" Troy Bilt.
I would like to keep it under $2000. Had my eyes on a Billy Goat 33" but they are no longer in production. The 32" or 36" better quick has my eye now, but not quite sure about the online only thing. The yard is basically flat with some trees, landscaping, and a little wooden fence. Thanks

I feel your pain! I am in the exact same scenario. Here is my thread from a couple of days ago:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=267591

I have settled on the Quick 36 with the Kawasaki engine. Now I just have to find time to go get it.

Pool Boy
03-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys and I read your whole thread mdawson. I'm in the exact same spot as you. I'm currently laid off by a company that blanks out a lot of the parts for MTD (Cub Cadet). My experience with them is always looking for ways to cut costs and product quality. Troy Bilt being a perfect example of that.
If I land the job that I'm in the process of trying to get, I think the Quick 36" with the manual start Kawasaki could definitely work. Do you think it is worth $300 more over the cost of the Briggs?

touhey33
03-25-2009, 03:25 PM

Save your money and hire someone like us to cut it.:laugh: Just kidding, I'd go with the quick and get it now while its on sale. If your are only cutting your own yard you should be good to go with no major problems to worry about for years.

mdawson
03-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the replies guys and I read your whole thread mdawson. I'm in the exact same spot as you. I'm currently laid off by a company that blanks out a lot of the parts for MTD (Cub Cadet). My experience with them is always looking for ways to cut costs and product quality. Troy Bilt being a perfect example of that.
If I land the job that I'm in the process of trying to get, I think the Quick 36" with the manual start Kawasaki could definitely work. Do you think it is worth $300 more over the cost of the Briggs?
I think the Kawasaki is definitely worth it. From everything I have read here and from a friend in the lawn care industry that uses all Exmark with Kawasaki engines the Briggs should be avoided if possible. I am also planning on the manual start model.

Good luck on the job search, BTW!

scagdude
03-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey. I am in the business and you definitely want to stay away from the briggs. those engines are crap. on both of my walkbehinds i have kawasakis. they are extremely reliable. i would go with the quick 36 if you are just doing your own lawn and want to spend under $2000. but definitely get the kawasaki engine.

Please_Be_Green
03-25-2009, 08:47 PM
I need a couple of weeks and I'll be able to comment on the cut quality...

I'm dying to try out my Quick 36....

lifetree
03-25-2009, 09:56 PM
... I have settled on the Quick 36 with the Kawasaki engine. Now I just have to find time to go get it.

Well, hurry up and get it ... the Spring sale ends in just a few days !!

... I think the Quick 36" with the manual start Kawasaki could definitely work. Do you think it is worth $300 more over the cost of the Briggs?

Absolutely, it's worth the difference in the price ... spend the $ 300 and don't look back !!

mdawson
03-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Well, hurry up and get it ... the Spring sale ends in just a few days !!

If it were solely up to me I would have bought it already. My "CFO" is having trouble stomaching the price tag. She understands the need for a good mower (and knows that the Quick is a great buy), after all, our Honda commercial is about 17 years old and we got it for free about 7 years ago. When exactly does the sale end, end of March? We were hoping to discuss it some more this weekend.

Pool Boy
03-26-2009, 08:17 PM
I got a price today at the dealer for a Simplicity Pacer 32" with a 17.5 HP Briggs. They wanted $2300.00. For a tad more I think the Quick Ninja 36" looks like a better machine.

ed2hess
03-26-2009, 09:38 PM
WorldLawn mowers is a a mower that is cheap and some professional companies is using it in our area with fairly good results.

mdawson
03-26-2009, 09:39 PM
I got a price today at the dealer for a Simplicity Pacer 32" with a 17.5 HP Briggs. They wanted $2300.00. For a tad more I think the Quick Ninja 36" looks like a better machine.

I can get that same mower here for $1800, brand new! That seems crazy!

Pool Boy
03-27-2009, 07:57 AM
I can get that same mower here for $1800, brand new! That seems crazy!

I agree. The list price is $2500. For that kind of money I'll but the Quick 36" Ninja.

Happy Frog
03-27-2009, 02:45 PM
+1 for the Quick 36 with Kaw engine... :weightlifter:

andubailey
03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
I have a belt drive 36' snapper pro with a 15 horse Kaw, two wheel velkie, and mulch plate. Roughly 80 hours.

lifetree
03-27-2009, 09:32 PM
... When exactly does the sale end, end of March ? ...

I think the end of March ... however, you can call Tommy at BOP and find out for sure !!