PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat question

hawkeye
03-25-2009, 02:17 PM
can any of you guys tell me why Bobcat offsets one of the front wheels on there ztr's. Also I am considering the Procat 52 model and I believe they offer it with a 19 Kawi, 21 Kawi and a 25 Kawi- all of these are the v twin air cooled models. Which would be the best engine choice? Thanks for the input.

kaferhaus
03-25-2009, 02:36 PM
We use 19s on the 52s and 25s on the 61s. Plenty of power.

The offset helps in avoiding scalping.

pugs
03-25-2009, 02:43 PM
The front arms are different depending on which deck you get. Basically trying to keep the tires as close to the deck as possible is what they are going for I think.

Watch out. They do have a new model with a 19HP engine...but its not the FH601V, its the smaller KAI series 19HP FH581V. I believe it also has different pumps so its a bit slower. Just something to watch out for...its made to hit a certain price. So if you find a really good deal, just be aware it might be one of these newer models.

Not really bad or anything, just confusing:confused:

hawkeye
03-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks so far for the input guys but definitely want the bigger 12cc pumps so I need to probably look at the 21 or 25- for thick wet grass will the 25 outperform the 21 in overall quality of cut?

hawkeye
03-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Is the extra 4 horsepower noticeable?

mowerbrad
03-26-2009, 09:06 PM
I would definately go with the 25hp. I've got a 22hp on my bob-cat and it does a nice job with it but I would definately not go any smaller.

The wheel is offset to align with the rear wheel.

hawkeye
03-26-2009, 09:10 PM
thanks for the input mowerbrad- how big is the deck on your Bobcat? Are you happy with the cut and ride quality?

mowerbrad
03-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I've got a 52" deck and the ride is pretty good. I would have liked to get the suspension seat but just haven't gotten around to putting one on there. It stripes amazingly and the cut is good, you just have to make sure the blades are sharp.

TomberLawn
03-26-2009, 09:19 PM
My Woods is built by Bobcat and it cuts and rides great. I've got a suspension seat and really big tires. It's got a 33hp Generac with a 61" deck.

I would recommend the 25hp engine. My 48" Ferris has a 21hp engine and it is adequate most of the time. Probably would be a little weak with a 52" though.

hawkeye
03-26-2009, 09:26 PM
when do you notice the extra difference in horsepower- is it mostly evident in wet grass, thick grass, or just hilly terrain?

tarheel01
03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
I got a 52 in bobcat with a 25 hp kaw. plenty of power. i dont have a air cooled and have had no problems

TomberLawn
03-26-2009, 10:05 PM
All of those places. Anywhere you need a shot, it's good to have that extra power. I was amazed the first time I drove my Woods. I took it around behind the dealer and mowed the dealer owner's yard. He had a steep hill and tall grass that I went up full speed without even lugging at all. That's when power is handy. You won't regret getting a little bigger engine. It will probably get better fuel economy because it isn't working as hard.

puppypaws
03-27-2009, 03:21 AM
when do you notice the extra difference in horsepower- is it mostly evident in wet grass, thick grass, or just hilly terrain?

All of the above, if you could run the 33 Generac "Tomberlawn" has it would blow your mind. Most people have no idea of what real power is and how much difference it makes in every aspect of a mowers capability.

You can actually own a mower lacking in power and think it is not a mower you would purchase again. Take the same mower and put more than adequate power to the blades and I promise your whole outlook will change. It will be a totally different machine that will perform at a much higher level in all categories.

puppypaws
03-27-2009, 03:30 AM
All of those places. Anywhere you need a shot, it's good to have that extra power. I was amazed the first time I drove my Woods. I took it around behind the dealer and mowed the dealer owner's yard. He had a steep hill and tall grass that I went up full speed without even lugging at all. That's when power is handy. You won't regret getting a little bigger engine. It will probably get better fuel economy because it isn't working as hard.

If you are wondering why I'm up so late, chickens are going tonight, so I'm playing on the computer to pass the time.

I got my Super Z back and it is performing so well I actually have a hard time myself believing it can cut grass at the speed it does and ride so smooth. The mower actually feels as though it picked up a little speed, the thing will fly.

JimQ
03-27-2009, 09:41 AM
can any of you guys tell me why Bobcat offsets one of the front wheels on there ztr's.....

I can think of two reasons to offset one or both of the casters.

If you move the left caster closer to the center of the machine, it improves the machines ability to trim.

Another reason you might offset a caster is to improve a cut quality issue. When the front caster tire rolls over the grass, it lays it down before it's cut. If the path of the caster happens to line up with an area of the deck that has less lift (generally where the blades overlap), it can lead to uncut stringers or a strip of grass that pops up hours later after the grass stands back up on it's own.

Q