PDA

View Full Version : still have mixed feelings on what to buy =(

GracesLandscaping
03-25-2009, 03:50 PM
ok i have asked many many questions over the past 3-4 months about which mower to buy. i had my heart set on a hustler, then changed since there isn't a local dealer and i really like my dealer. then i was set back on exmark because my dealer has always had them and i have ran many of them and like them alot. now im considering gravely because my dealer carries them and says they are the closest thing to an exmarks "cut quality" that im going to find. (he carries exmark, gravely, ferris, and cub cadet) demod a ferris and loved the ride but it doesn't have that exmark cut! never been on a cub and dont really plan on pursuing that one. ahhhh any of you that are familiar with Gravely and Exmark please PLEASE please chime in and help me out i have to do something soon! I currently have a Dixie Chopper but im getting rid of it. I know some of you will say Scag and maybe even toro but those are out of the question because i do not care for the local scag/toro/echo dealer and i have seen way too many people complain about their toros. anyways enough of my rambling any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also i will be buying a 60".... the exmark is a 08 60" Ultra Cut with 28 kawi... the gravely will be similar but with upgrades such as the deluxe seat....

GracesLandscaping
03-25-2009, 04:31 PM
ok i just talked to the hustler dealer just for curiosity about pricing and i can get a hustler z 60" with a 26hp kawi (or 24 honda) for 7595 out the door... the left over08 exmark is 8000 plus tax... the hustler super z with a 31 kawi susp. seat and flex forks would be 8895 out the door... ahhhhh confusion!!!! and the gravely with a 3xhp and 60 inch is something like 8600.... Please help!!!!! lol

the hustler dealer also carries bobcat and he said i could get a predator pro with a 27 hp for 7995 out the door and says the cut quality on the hustler and bobcat is a coin toss. i know nothing about bobcat and really dont need to add anything to my confusion lol but any help from all you guys that might have a little more knowledge on these machines than i do would be awesome!

mississippiturf
03-25-2009, 04:32 PM
You pretty much answered your own question! While every one on this site has their opinions about "best brands", almost all will agree that dealer support, reputation, and location plays a vital role in the decision-making process. Exmark leads the industry. They are a subsiderary of Toro, Inc. The 60" Ultra-Cut with 28 Kawi will serve you well if your dealer is local.

GracesLandscaping
03-25-2009, 04:40 PM
You pretty much answered your own question! While every one on this site has their opinions about "best brands", almost all will agree that dealer support, reputation, and location plays a vital role in the decision-making process. Exmark leads the industry. They are a subsiderary of Toro, Inc. The 60" Ultra-Cut with 28 Kawi will serve you well if your dealer is local.

yes, i realize the exmark will serve my needs well as i have ran many of them over the years for friends or whatnot. im actually currently helping a friend out by mowing for him while he is doing taxes and hes allowing me to use his mower which is an 08 exmark 35 vanguard (overkill) 60" Triton. I do not mow "all day every day" but i do have several residentials and a church with cemetary. I have just heard alot about the Hustlers and im almost tired of seeing everyone using exmarks in the area (4 out of 5 have exmarks, and then a few John deeres or kubotas, and every now and then a scag or toro) ann i would kind of like a change... but im unsure... just wanting a little help on deciding and thanks for your input!!!!:usflag:

delphied
03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Dont try to save what amounts to less than a thousand bucks. You will kick yourself later for not buying what you really want.

mdawson
03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
yes, i realize the exmark will serve my needs well as i have ran many of them over the years for friends or whatnot. im actually currently helping a friend out by mowing for him while he is doing taxes and hes allowing me to use his mower which is an 08 exmark 35 vanguard (overkill) 60" Triton. I do not mow "all day every day" but i do have several residentials and a church with cemetary. I have just heard alot about the Hustlers and im almost tired of seeing everyone using exmarks in the area (4 out of 5 have exmarks, and then a few John deeres or kubotas, and every now and then a scag or toro) ann i would kind of like a change... but im unsure... just wanting a little help on deciding and thanks for your input!!!!:usflag:

There is likely a reason all the others are using Exmark, don't you think? Don't buy something else just to be different, set yourself apart in another way. Do a better job than they do, drive a cleaner truck, wear a uniform, save a little kitten stuck in a tree, but don't skimp on the mower to "show them"!

GracesLandscaping
03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
so are you saying the exmark is more than likely my best bet?

also i just spent about 25 mins on the phone with the hustler dealer, he is an extremely nice person and doesnt mind spending time answering ?'s (that is the only thing my dealer lacks he isnt very personable ive just grown to understand how he is over the past 6 years) and this hustler dealer must be good because he says he moved over 200 units last year alone... thats what he says anyways but i have been to his shop and he did probably have at least 50 of them in the shop still in crates :/

KEEP EM COMING!!!!! =)

mdawson
03-25-2009, 05:19 PM

I think you could do much worse!

also i just spent about 25 mins on the phone with the hustler dealer, he is an extremely nice person and doesnt mind spending time answering ?'s (that is the only thing my dealer lacks he isnt very personable ive just grown to understand how he is over the past 6 years) and this hustler dealer must be good because he says he moved over 200 units last year alone... thats what he says anyways but i have been to his shop and he did probably have at least 50 of them in the shop still in crates :/

KEEP EM COMING!!!!! =)

This is typical. The Hustler guy is trying to gain your business so he will do "everything right". "Your dealer" already has your business so he might be a little more passive with you. Ultimately you just have to go with your gut. Which one do you keep going back to? You know, first you think that Mower A is the best because..., but Mower B has this. If you keep coming back to the same mower you might already know which one you want.

delphied
03-25-2009, 05:40 PM

KEEP EM COMING!!!!! =)

Yes the Exmark is the best. Everybody compares their cut to the Exmark cut. There is a reason for that. I have a 66 and a 48 TTHP. Chances are as a solo, you wont even have a problem that needs fixing for several years unless you beat it to death. Ive never had a regret with my Exmarks and I looked at Hustler, Grasshopper, Wright, JD, Skag. Hustler didnt even make the short list with me. All of this is as always, MHO.

RonAyersMotorsports
03-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Hustler is the best and sounds like you got a dealer trying to look out for you. Sounds like a dealer worth investing in you is a dealer you should stick with. He's working hard to get your business and will work even harder to keep it! Pm with any questions on comparing I sold Exmark and Hustler!

And a Super Z at those prices w/ flex forks and taxes. You'd just be silly to turn those offers down. Don't miss out on those opportunities.

Hustler Super Z 21cc pump vs Gravely 16cc pump. Hustler stainless hydralic lines w/ lifetime warranty vs Gravely rubber lines 2 year at best warranty. Triple plated deck w/ lifetime warranty vs Gravely not triple plated and no lifetime warranty. No comparison.

LexingtonKYcutter
03-25-2009, 07:18 PM
I met Jeff from Hopkinsville Outdoor Equipment at a Stihl party during the GIE expo. Guy was a trip and seemed like good people. He was talking up the Ferris when I was around him.

GracesLandscaping
03-25-2009, 07:25 PM
I met Jeff from Hopkinsville Outdoor Equipment at a Stihl party during the GIE expo. Guy was a trip and seemed like good people. He was talking up the Ferris when I was around him.

haha yea thats my dealer he is a pretty cool guy... and he talks up everything... ferris is the ride... exmark is the cut... gravely is the price lol. but he does seem to like the ferris alot!

LexingtonKYcutter
03-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Well I only met the Jeff once, but like I said, Hes good people. Hes good buddies with the Stihl rep for that area who started out up here in Lexington at the dealership I do business with.

Now off to the catspause.com to do some UK message board stuff before the big game with Notre Dame.

Go Cats!:drinkup:

RonAyersMotorsports
03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Check your PMs see if they help!

GracesLandscaping
03-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Check your PMs see if they help!

PM's ya back thanks alot for the help!!!!! :usflag:

bowhunter74
03-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I have a Hustler 60" Z and have been happy with it, but you have to buy something with a close dealer or you will be p***ed off and unproductive making a run to the dealer for any parts so I would go with the exmark. The only reason I didn't get the exmark is because my local exmark dealer is an A hole and I won't step foot in his shop.

GracesLandscaping
03-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I have a Hustler 60" Z and have been happy with it, but you have to buy something with a close dealer or you will be p***ed off and unproductive making a run to the dealer for any parts so I would go with the exmark. The only reason I didn't get the exmark is because my local exmark dealer is an A hole and I won't step foot in his shop.

so im assuming your hustler breaks down alot?

LexingtonKYcutter
03-26-2009, 09:55 PM

:laugh:

Now thats funny.

:laugh:

MJB
03-26-2009, 10:59 PM
I would think twice before buying the Hustler or Gravely I bought both still have the Hustler. It a smooth ride but it breaks down 10 times to 1 on the Exmark. I have 2 Exmarks also. Buy Exmark for cut quality and dependability.

The new Bad Boy would be worth looking into also if you have a dealer. But if you want to buy anything other than Exmark demo, in your conditions. The Gravely and Hustler both lacked a lot in the cut quality department Especially if your cutting Kentucky Blue Grass. I ran them all side by side and sent my Gravely 260 back. My customers noticed a difference while mulching with it.

GracesLandscaping
03-27-2009, 12:17 AM
the nearest badboy dealer is the same dealer that deals the hustler... he also deals bobcat. my local dealer dealt with badboy but dropped them after about 6 months...

MJB
03-27-2009, 01:53 AM
the nearest badboy dealer is the same dealer that deals the hustler... he also deals bobcat. my local dealer dealt with badboy but dropped them after about 6 months...

You know before I bought my last Exmark last summer I demoed the new commercial Cub Cadet Tank and that deck performed as well as my Exmark. The suction was great even better than Exmark at lifting the grass. It has a new adjustable lip on the front that is a big improvement over the old Tank.

I also went to the Fairgrounds and asked them about there Tank. They cut 30 acres per week of heavy grass and abuse their equipment, and they spoke very highly of it. In the past they used Grasshoppers etc. So I would only recommend that Cub Cadet if you have dealer support. I would of bought the Cub Cadet if I they could of delivered it to me, but they were swamped and 70 miles away, so I called Exmark. Very simular machines and beleive me I used to trash talk the Tanks but the new version is a big improvement. Unless you've heard something negative by someone who has used them I would look into them too as a very close 2nd to Exmark.

GracesLandscaping
03-27-2009, 04:12 AM
You know before I bought my last Exmark last summer I demoed the new commercial Cub Cadet Tank and that deck performed as well as my Exmark. The suction was great even better than Exmark at lifting the grass. It has a new adjustable lip on the front that is a big improvement over the old Tank.

I also went to the Fairgrounds and asked them about there Tank. They cut 30 acres per week of heavy grass and abuse their equipment, and they spoke very highly of it. In the past they used Grasshoppers etc. So I would only recommend that Cub Cadet if you have dealer support. I would of bought the Cub Cadet if I they could of delivered it to me, but they were swamped and 70 miles away, so I called Exmark. Very simular machines and beleive me I used to trash talk the Tanks but the new version is a big improvement. Unless you've heard something negative by someone who has used them I would look into them too as a very close 2nd to Exmark.

ill be sure to ask my local dealer about that, as he deals cubs too

RonAyersMotorsports
03-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Don't let guys tell you the quality of cut is bad when their dealers probably never knew about the blade adapter kit and low sail fusion blades that make all the difference. Quality of cut with this I would still put up against any Exmark, Toro, And definately a Tank any day!

MJB
03-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Don't let guys tell you the quality of cut is bad when their dealers probably never knew about the blade adapter kit and low sail fusion blades that make all the difference. Quality of cut with this I would still put up against any Exmark, Toro, And definately a Tank any day!

My Super Z would leave trails everywhere in KBGrass. I have put on everything the factory rep has sent and then some. Now I use it with the mulching kit as it works ok, but I still have to double mow everything out here. I put on the air control lip don't remember the name, they sent me stuff for free, but in the end I don't want a mower that has issues and needs adaptors to make it cut better, this shows that all the issues have not been fixed on the XR7 deck for every application. I would say my Hustler spent about 4 weeks per yr in the shop, with multiple problems, now some have been worked out, but several are on going issues that I will have to pay for now that the warranty is up. Hustler has great service I would always get a loaner of some kind, but that only slowed things down I mulch they loaned me side disharge mowers, all with cutting issues. In 18 yrs Hustler has been my 2nd to the worse machine I've ever purchased and I've had 2 G Hopper, 2 Walkers, Toro the worse, and Gravely, Scag, & 2 Exmark Lazer Z's by far the best of the ones I own.

Quality of cut is a major issue and I put my Hustler up everyday and see how poor the cut is compared to Exmark and yes the dreaded TANK. The Tank has always been ahead of the curve in cut quality issues.

bowhunter74
03-27-2009, 06:49 PM

Did I say I had problems? I'm just saying if I bought a mower with the closest dealer 60 miles away then going after a belt would be unproductive.

GracesLandscaping
03-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Did I say I had problems? I'm just saying if I bought a mower with the closest dealer 60 miles away then going after a belt would be unproductive.

sorry when you said making frequent trips to the dealer for parts i assumed you meant it broke down. belts and allt hat arent such a big deal.... i could always keep a spare and the closest hustler dealer is 27 miles in clarksville tenn. im in clarksville about 15 mins away from the dealer about twice a month anyways so thats not my concern... biggest concern would be major problems such as ones the dealer has to fix

RonAyersMotorsports
03-31-2009, 03:16 PM
My Super Z would leave trails everywhere in KBGrass. I have put on everything the factory rep has sent and then some. Now I use it with the mulching kit as it works ok, but I still have to double mow everything out here. I put on the air control lip don't remember the name, they sent me stuff for free, but in the end I don't want a mower that has issues and needs adaptors to make it cut better, this shows that all the issues have not been fixed on the XR7 deck for every application. I would say my Hustler spent about 4 weeks per yr in the shop, with multiple problems, now some have been worked out, but several are on going issues that I will have to pay for now that the warranty is up. Hustler has great service I would always get a loaner of some kind, but that only slowed things down I mulch they loaned me side disharge mowers, all with cutting issues. In 18 yrs Hustler has been my 2nd to the worse machine I've ever purchased and I've had 2 G Hopper, 2 Walkers, Toro the worse, and Gravely, Scag, & 2 Exmark Lazer Z's by far the best of the ones I own.

Quality of cut is a major issue and I put my Hustler up everyday and see how poor the cut is compared to Exmark and yes the dreaded TANK. The Tank has always been ahead of the curve in cut quality issues.

Sorry about your issues. But you can change the baffles and mulch kits all day long. But if a blade adapter kit was never installed the problem would continue. Maybe you have installed these and are still seeing issues, but for 9 out of 10 cutting conditions the adapter kit not baffles solves the problem.

Good to hear about your excellent service. Service makes a big difference!

GracesLandscaping
03-31-2009, 04:51 PM
well yesterday i drove up to the dealer to demo a hustler for the first time. he said that he had never heard of that blade adaptor kit nor anyone ever having a cutting issue in any type of grass. he didn't have a new one for me to demo so i demod a used 06 super z with a 27 kohler... it was killer fast, but he told me to cut on 3.5 and it did great (i was cutting in a field with crappy grass, but it was appz 6" tall) i raised the deck up to about 4.5 and going anything above probably 7mph it didn't cut it hardly at all, just layed it over for the most part. i loved the mower but im still not so sure about the cutting quality and also not so gunhole on leaving my exmark dealer :/

The dealer said by the end of last week he had moved 63 hustlers already and we have only been mowing for 2 and a half weeks now!!! but to add to some of my confusion between hustler and exmark, he now carries badboy and i reallllly like the looks of the lightning series.... im thinking about just playing eenie meanie mighty moe for which mower!!!!! lol

RonAyersMotorsports
03-31-2009, 04:55 PM
I never understand why dealers carry so many mower brands of mowers? Silly to me. How can you say one brand is better than another and sell all three. Silly silly.

GracesLandscaping
03-31-2009, 04:56 PM
also the mower i demod was a homeowner that lives in my town and has a pretty good sized lawn.... it has 6xx hours on it... 06 super z 27 kohler 60" deck. the dealer is wanting 4500 for it but the deck bearings are going bad in it and im not sure if he will fix that before the sale or not... i was kinda thinking of buying a used one for this season and seeing how i liked it does this sound like a good price?? and other than the deck bearings the mower is in great shape (used by a homeowner thats pretty picky about his autos, lawn, etc.) it has the susp seat that i THINK is on all super z's (black seat) and flex forks. also has gator blades but those would have to go!

GracesLandscaping
03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
I never understand why dealers carry so many mower brands of mowers? Silly to me. How can you say one brand is better than another and sell all three. Silly silly.

haha yea i think its kinda to beat competition... my dealer at one time had dixie, exmark, ferris, badboy, cub, and ariens. now he has ferris gravely exmark cub and ariens. The hustler dealer has hustler, bobcat, and badboy. he said he has badboy to try to save a few people a little money, and says the bobcat and hustler are a cointoss on which is better. he also used to carry that steiner brand

RonAyersMotorsports
03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah I think its because they need a better salesman! Lol. I used to be at a dealer ship that we sold Toro, Snapper, and Husqvarna. And we sold more Toro's in one year than all mowers combined the first year I was there. Salesman and Service make all the difference.

GracesLandscaping
03-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah I think its because they need a better salesman! Lol. I used to be at a dealer ship that we sold Toro, Snapper, and Husqvarna. And we sold more Toro's in one year than all mowers combined the first year I was there. Salesman and Service make all the difference.

my dealer sells more exmarks than others combined, and the hustler guy sells wayyyyy more hustlers than bobcats.... like he said last year was appx 195 hustlers to 65 bobcats

mdawson
03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
my dealer sells more exmarks than others combined, and the hustler guy sells wayyyyy more hustlers than bobcats.... like he said last year was appx 195 hustlers to 65 bobcats

So the question then becomes, "If he didn't sell Bobcat would those 65 sales switch to Hustler"? Hard to say for sure, but you will always have brand loyalty, probably moreso than dealer loyalty unfortunately. So dealers try to carry what people are after. If a dealer has customers asking for a particular brand they may pick it up to see if they can increase sales. And why not, most of the parts are the same right? At least that is what I keep reading. So why not sell more than one brand if it could lead to more sales. It is no different than walking into an audio/video store and wondering why they carry Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Pioneer, Vizio, etc. They are all similar products, but each has their own following.

RonAyersMotorsports
03-31-2009, 05:27 PM
I'd rather be the only Hustler dealer in town and have loyal customers and more product knowledge and parts and excellent service. Than three brands and the second Bobcat, toro, or ect. dealer within 20 miles, not enough parts, and a confused salesman and slow turn around in my shop!

mdawson
03-31-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd rather be the only Hustler dealer in town and have loyal customers and more product knowledge and parts and excellent service. Than three brands and the second Bobcat, toro, or ect. dealer within 20 miles, not enough parts, and a confused salesman and slow turn around in my shop!

And there is nothing wrong with that. But I ask you this, are you a dealer?

ALC-GregH
03-31-2009, 05:56 PM
matter of fact he is..... :)

mookie309
03-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Has anyone used the Vulcher II for leaves in the Northeast? I am thinking of using this versus a lawn vacuum on my 60" Ex mark Lazer Z. Any suggestions?
Here is the web site http://www.vulcher.com/

delphied
03-31-2009, 06:38 PM
And there is nothing wrong with that. But I ask you this, are you a dealer?

Its pretty obvious to me.

ALC-GregH
03-31-2009, 06:42 PM

does he sell Exmark mowers? LOL I can hear the next guy now asking that question. Some people..... :rolleyes:

MJB
03-31-2009, 07:51 PM
also the mower i demod was a homeowner that lives in my town and has a pretty good sized lawn.... it has 6xx hours on it... 06 super z 27 kohler 60" deck. the dealer is wanting 4500 for it but the deck bearings are going bad in it and im not sure if he will fix that before the sale or not... i was kinda thinking of buying a used one for this season and seeing how i liked it does this sound like a good price?? and other than the deck bearings the mower is in great shape (used by a homeowner thats pretty picky about his autos, lawn, etc.) it has the susp seat that i THINK is on all super z's (black seat) and flex forks. also has gator blades but those would have to go!

Make sure if you decide to buy the used Hustler that it has had the wheel motors upgraded. My wheel motors went out around around 400 hrs. The rep ended up getting me a heavier wheel motor in 2006 they had issues. I mow very thick grass and just the weight of the mower in damp soft turf made the
machine very jerky when turning around and they both failed 1 after the other.

Mine will not cut clean at all above 2.5 to 3 inches it just lays it over and leaves strips. If I'm cutting very short grass it cuts cleaner, but most of the time I have to doublecut. Side discharging or mulching. Every loaner I got was the same when cutting taller like we normally do around 3.5 they all cut poorly. Compare it with the other mower options you have before pulling the trigger. But my Hustler still has the smoothest ride and is very comfortable,
but I'll never buy another with the XR7 deck.

mdawson
03-31-2009, 10:36 PM
matter of fact he is..... :)
Thanks for clarifying.

I thought so, but when he mentioned he used to work at a dealership with other brand mowers I thought he might just be a fan of Hustler.

RonAyersMotorsports
04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes I'm a proud dealer, with lots of knowledge about almost every competitors models. I have worked on sold and used Professional power equipment since I was 15. I am glad to help anyone with questions or concerns where I can.

mdawson
04-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Yes I'm a proud dealer, with lots of knowledge about almost every competitors models. I have worked on sold and used Professional power equipment since I was 15. I am glad to help anyone with questions or concerns where I can.
And we all appreciate the help you provide. I hope you don't feel that I was trying to be disrespectful, I was merely trying to provide insight as to perhaps why other dealers sell more than one brand. It just goes to show that one can be successful in many different ways.

RonAyersMotorsports
04-03-2009, 04:36 PM
And we all appreciate the help you provide. I hope you don't feel that I was trying to be disrespectful, I was merely trying to provide insight as to perhaps why other dealers sell more than one brand. It just goes to show that one can be successful in many different ways.

No offense taken. I just would rather have a few brands and give better service. For instance John Deere dealerships have been successfull with one brand.

mdawson
04-03-2009, 05:06 PM
No offense taken. I just would rather have a few brands and give better service. For instance John Deere dealerships have been successfull with one brand.

Yes they have. But they have also been successful for marketing reasons! Others have done something similar, like Bose. But I don't think I am buying either one! :laugh:

RLS24
04-03-2009, 05:16 PM
No matter where you go, dealers are going to say "oh we sold XXX of these mowers last year!" the Hustler guy says Hustler is the best, the eXmark guy says eXmark is the best, the Toro guy is going to say Toro is the best and so on. You want the best, right? So if someone said "well this mower I am selling here is ok, but its not the best on the market and it has some shortcomings" why would you want to buy that? I also think you answered your own question, you said the Hustler didn't cut really great on some crappy grass you demoed it on....so if it cant cut good on bad grass, what makes you think its going to cut good on really nice grass? usually a good mower will cut at least halfway decent even in bad grass.