PDA

View Full Version : Making Cut Flagstone Look Natural

Blmtlandscapes
03-25-2009, 04:57 PM
hey guys I'm doing a stepping stone path with irregular bluestone. The bluestone comes in large slabs and I'm going to cut smaller pieces from it with a diamond blade. My question is how to get a natural looking edge after it is cut? Do I chip away the edge with a hammer?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
03-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm doing the exact same thing at the moment. If your edges are going to be covered with mulch or stone don't worry so much about the edges. With that being said I score my lines that I want with a diamond blade than I snap the stone with a chisel. Score the lines with a grinder and d-blade that way you can get irregular lines instead of a straight line.

vtscaper
03-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Use a chisel. Set the blade against the cut a few mm down from the top face of the stone. Tap lightly, your not trying to remove a lot of material just soften up that cut line. Set a depth and simply move along the cut.

Bru75
03-26-2009, 12:29 AM
To break up large peices use a stone hammer, but for detail work start by marking your cut line lightly and then remove small peices with your chisel starting at the edge until you get to the line.

Crash
03-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Use a chisel. Set the blade against the cut a few mm down from the top face of the stone. Tap lightly, your not trying to remove a lot of material just soften up that cut line. Set a depth and simply move along the cut.

I agree...the only way to really get a natural look is to finish it off with a chisel. Otherwise it def. won't look right.