PDA

View Full Version : top dressing

fastcat
03-25-2009, 05:02 PM
if i wanted to topdress a lawn to improve clay soil how many times a year should i do this and what time of year should i do this.

i know that it would be alot quicker to till up the area in question and the till in topsoil/compost but it is alot more expensive this way. so i figure that if i plug the area really good topdress with 1/4 to 1/2 inch topsoil/compost mix it would help over time.

any other suggestions.

White Gardens
03-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Topdressing once in the spring and once in the fall will help. The problem is that you won't get rid of the hardpan of the clay, so you'll have water issues no matter what condition the soil in the root zone is in.

When it rains, it will be a spongy mess, when it's dry, it will be really dry.

This is my unorthodox idea, I'm not sure if it would work or not, but the principal behind it comes from my farming background.

First, make sure all utilities are marked including the known depth of the sewer line. Go rent a mini-skid steer for the day, with a vibratory plow attachment. Cut slits in the yard, once every 3 feet, and then topdress the yard. The topdressing will have a chance to enter into the slits created by the plow, helping to improve drainage in the soil and also helping the root zone at the same time.

You also have minimal disturbance of the sod, so your not spending the extra time and money replacing it.

I'm still waiting for the opportunity to arise to where I can try this method. In theory it should work, but, like communism, it also works in theory.