PDA

View Full Version : Loaning a mower

Clang's Lawncare
03-25-2009, 07:54 PM
I have a guy that works for me ( at my full time job)That wants to rent my 48" exmark walkbehind mower...Should i do this ???I have a z trac so i don't us this mower ...And also how much do i charge him ???I figured it would give me a little extra money ..Let me hear your thoughts:confused:

nobagger
03-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I HATE IT!, when people (friends and relatives) ask to borrow something. It always put me in an uncomfortable position. My Brother-in-Law borrowed my nice Echo hedge trimmers and when I got it back, half the bolts were missing from the bar. Needless to say, he never said anything about it. Half of me says well, they are family and will replace it if they broke something, but the other half of me says I need this equipment to survive and do my job and how long is it going to take for them to replace what ever they might break. I loaned out a nice Corona hand pruning saw last fall to the In-Laws and I forgot about it til' I went over to help install some flooring and there it was. I was just about to buy another pair because I thought myself or one of the guys lost it. Sorry to ramble but good question! My opinion.....I wouldn't! "regular home owner's" have no clue how to run this stuff and dont know the capabilities of the equipment. I always hear "that big mower cant mow the 3 foot tall grass". Just my 2 cent's.

Clang's Lawncare
03-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Na that makes sense ,He wants to try to start his own business ,Good advise .Lets see what others have to say

Littleriver1
03-25-2009, 08:29 PM
This is a really bad idea. You would be better off just going to his house and cutting the grass. If he wants to cut other peoples grass with your mower then sell it to him. What is that mower worth if he takes it and you never see it again. My father always told me, only loan money if you plan on never seeing it again. When anyone asks me to loan them money I always say, no I'll give you the money. My insurance company will not cover my equipment if I loan it to anyone.

Danscapes
03-25-2009, 08:29 PM
If he wants to start his own business then he needs to buy his own equipment. Let him go through all of things that we go through on a daily basis to "make it big time" by being in this field.

ambersLawnmowing
03-26-2009, 12:56 AM
My mower is like my Wife. Replacable, Cheap, and i love to ride them both but to borrow to a freind is diff. once the guy is on he never wants to get off, he never leaves it in the same shape, and most of the time he leaves it dirty. I wouldnt do it, it would have to be an iron claud contract that said if he breaks it he fixes it, also has to be a time period on that breaking part. Or he can drag his feet and not fix it right away and your out money because your work isnt getting done. If it is a spare, do like a land contract or lease not a renting thing.

Big C
03-26-2009, 01:28 AM
HELL NO:nono::nono:....tell him to go to an equipment rental company. My mowers generate income....not for rent....to knowone

Elite Outdoor
03-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Bad idea, if he wants to buy it that would be another thing. What happens when your z trac breaks down and you need the walk-behind? Will he let you have it back? How ironic would it be if he turned around and rented it back out to you until yous was fixed.:laugh:

LouisianaLawnboy
03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
NOPE! What happens if he breaks it?