PDA

View Full Version : Ground water and skimmer

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
I dug a whole for my skimmer and it keeps filling with ground water at about 2-3 inches. Has anyone had problems floating a skimmer after it is full of water? What way's do you guy's fix this problem as it is my first time dealing with this problem. I'm surprised I don't have this problem more often with all the plastic soil we have around here.

Venturewest
03-26-2009, 09:35 AM
I have never heard of the problem with the skimmer. I wonder if this would work.... Put drainage gravel below and around the skimmer and run a couple of pvc pipes out of the gravel up the side of the skimmer above grade to vent the hydraulic pressure so it can't build enough to push skimmer up. Obviously the idea would be to have a lower grade that you could drain to.

Isn't the pond liner floating? Seems like the liner would float if the water table is that high.

Yesterday I had a pond that we were cleaning that the client decided to eliminate the gravel bottom. It rained a couple of days ago and enough ground water made it under the liner to float it 20" or so. We removed a 2' wide section of rock from the bottom to the top of the pond. We then ran a pvc pipe under the liner and sucked the water out with a wet vac. It took a lot of filling and loading the vac. We got the liner down though and put flagstone in the bottom of the pond and refilled it.

XStream Aquatics
03-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Venture is right on with the pvc working as a vent. I have seen this 3 or 4 times. Another solution we have done once is to drive 1 or 2 metal fence stake/post beside the skimmer and attach it to the skimmer. This was our only option on this job.

XStream Aquatics
03-26-2009, 05:59 PM
STL, skimmers even full of water will float up under certain circumstances.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
03-27-2009, 12:23 AM
The pond is just excavated without the liner or skimmer installed. After I dug the skimmer hole out it started filling with water slowly which I realized is just ground water. The skimmer is at the end of my paver patio and I wonder if it is just slow drainage under my patio??? This whole deal has thrown me for a loop as a pond builder and a paver installer. I'll try the vent route so I don't have to dig in a drain , which would be a trench of 3'x10' to daylight.:confused: