PDA

View Full Version : Sterling Bullet/Dodge 4500/5500 owners

bobcat_ron
03-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Speak up here please, any issues on these trucks, I know Sterling is done and over, but how are they holding up, reason I ask is I need to start planning for a new/used truck purchase and a Dodge 4500/5500 cab and chassis with a 6 speed is what will work for me, all you 1 ton and under sissies need not answer.

stuvecorp
03-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I asked awhile ago and they are just not out there, don't know why not because the specs look great.

bobcat_ron
03-25-2009, 09:34 PM
I've seen more Dodges and new Fords here, so I am getting antsy now.
I had to get it towed this morning due to a hot start issue, it's all warranty, but it runs out in 2010, so I need to start looking now.
It's a shame too, I've only got 43,000 kms (26,718 miles to you Yanks) and it's my baby.

I distinctly remember saying that about my T190.

bobcat_ron
03-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Check it out:

(NEW) Sterling Bullet:

http://www.heavytruck.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=1034729&pgno=1&srt=1&r=britishcolumbia

(NEW) F450

http://www.heavytruck.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=1082369&pgno=1&srt=1&r=britishcolumbia

stuvecorp
03-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Maybe I shouldn't tell you about some Bullets I saw for $29,000? They were auto though.

Gravel Rat
03-26-2009, 04:14 AM
John at Dams is trying to get rid of the Sterlings they are not selling.

As for a truck keep fixing the Ford when it breaks. The newer trucks are not worth it.

If I was in your position I would be looking for a bigger truck. A truck that you could get rid of the trailer and have a ramp deck on a single axle 5 ton that way you load the skid steer on with what ever attachments and off you go. Easier to get to the jobsite etc.

Mini man
03-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Happy with my 5500 GMC so far....too soon to know if there will be any issues though

bobcat_ron
03-26-2009, 09:24 PM
I have thought of the bigger truck, but insurance is huge, I am already paying $1500 a year, and my Dad is paying nearly $3000 for his mid-liner Mack, so if I got a slightly bigger truck, I can anticipate around $2200 a year, that's too much, plus trying to find an Automatic in a truck that big is tough, and yes, an Auto is a must in a truck like that, the "pick up" style trucks are not a big deal. My brother's buddy has a little Kenny and he wishes it were and Auto, he hates shifting so little with all that torque.

Mini man
03-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Insurance for mine was only a couple of hundred dollars more them my 2500HD Duramax Allison.

GMD1984
03-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Mine is comeing for my towing compeny i wanted an auto and 4X4 and the chevy 5500 is to big so i hope its a good truck, i have fords and chevys

Gravel Rat
03-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Your insurance is a little high have you had some accidents.

I was thinking a 5 ton truck would be all you need. A truck with a beaver tail deck run the machine on and off you go.

bobcat_ron
03-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Your insurance is a little high have you had some accidents.

I was thinking a 5 ton truck would be all you need. A truck with a beaver tail deck run the machine on and off you go.

Nope, no accidents, just the higher GCVW.
I still prefer the truck/trailer combo as I can leave the trailer with the goodies on it while I buzz around with the truck, no off loading to do.

stuvecorp
03-28-2009, 02:06 AM
If you can stand it check out truckpaper.com in the medium duty Sterling cab chassis trucks.

Gravel Rat
03-28-2009, 02:31 AM
I don't know what Ron is worrying about :laugh:

Not sure if I would buy a Sterling Bullet with Sterling gone like a fart in the wind.

I looked at a 5500 Sterling I wasn't overly impressed with the way the rear suspension was set up. The spring hangers were pretty cheap looking.

I heard with the 4500-5500 trucks you need to beef up the rear springs because its under sprung but isn't that typical Dodge.

bobcat_ron
03-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Sterling isn't completely gone, they have shut down, but they are building a new plant in Mexico.
I was looking at FordCummins.com last night, and that would be a good idea, dropping a 6.7 Cummins into my F450, but at $20,000 CAN, it's still too steep, and it's better to have a manual tranny which is something I want anyways, and I can't get that price financed, so a whole new truck is still the best route for me.
I did see that little mini bin company yesterday, all black Bullets with roll off's, quite the neat looking truck.

http://www.minibins.com/?gclid=CL_hqZfzxZkCFRwpawod_SHWtg

pitrack
03-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I heard with the 4500-5500 trucks you need to beef up the rear springs because its under sprung but isn't that typical Dodge.

I always thought Ford was that way:rolleyes:

Sagging in this picture, but I think that's excusable
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/pitrack/P1000470.jpg

bobcat_ron
03-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Dear Mother of God, that is a nice trailer, a little heavy, but damn nice!

Junior M
03-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Dear Mother of God, that is a nice trailer, a little heavy, but damn nice!
I got to agree!!

And ronnie, those mini bin trucks look pretty dam good imo..

I got a solution, go grab your brothers Cabelas edition 350 and start working out of it, see what he says.. :p :laugh:

Duffster
03-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Sterling isn't completely gone, they have shut down, but they are building a new plant in Mexico.

I have not heard that they where coming back and I beleive they are done as of this month

They announced they will build Freightliners in the new plant in mexico

Gravel Rat
03-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Your not going to gain much with the 6.7 Cummins they have all the same emmission problems as the 6.0.

Like I have said my next truck is a V-10 well proven engines and cheap to fix.

With the 6.0 you buy the full egr delete and stud the engine the 6.0 will go the miles.

The big problem with the Sterling/Dodge 4500-5500 they haven't been on the market long there is no parts availability for them. There is thousands of F-450-550 trucks on the road so every parts store has parts for them. Things like brake pads etc.

Fix what ever problems you have with the Ford and keep driving it. There is a reason why Dams Ford is flogging off the Sterling Bullets they had. I have been watching what they have sold and some of those trucks have been there for 2 years. The Sterling Bullets flew as good as lead balloons.

Very few of the P+D guys bought them even the 4x4 trucks they had for service truck chassis sat on the lot for along time.

I even see Finnings has gone back to using F-550 Fords again seen one the other day they tried 5500 GMCs.

Good Luck with what ever you decide I do think your worrying about nothing. If your brother keeps you working your Cat never gets used. I don't think you want to burn your bridges with your brother because there will always be more excavator work than skid steer work.

Junior M
03-28-2009, 06:08 PM
GR just cause everyone is using it doesnt always mean its the best or its right..

bobcat_ron
03-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Your not going to gain much with the 6.7 Cummins they have all the same emmission problems as the 6.0.

Like I have said my next truck is a V-10 well proven engines and cheap to fix.

With the 6.0 you buy the full egr delete and stud the engine the 6.0 will go the miles.

The big problem with the Sterling/Dodge 4500-5500 they haven't been on the market long there is no parts availability for them. There is thousands of F-450-550 trucks on the road so every parts store has parts for them. Things like brake pads etc.

Fix what ever problems you have with the Ford and keep driving it. There is a reason why Dams Ford is flogging off the Sterling Bullets they had. I have been watching what they have sold and some of those trucks have been there for 2 years. The Sterling Bullets flew as good as lead balloons.

Very few of the P+D guys bought them even the 4x4 trucks they had for service truck chassis sat on the lot for along time.

I even see Finnings has gone back to using F-550 Fords again seen one the other day they tried 5500 GMCs.

Good Luck with what ever you decide I do think your worrying about nothing. If your brother keeps you working your Cat never gets used. I don't think you want to burn your bridges with your brother because there will always be more excavator work than skid steer work.

I need this truck regardless of what kind of work I do, skid steer or big iron, it's a daily driver regardless.

I did more research:

http://www.portstanleynews.com/details/headline.aspx?menu=1024_News_News_Sterling+Truck+Closing+March+2009

The Sterling Trucks brand will be discontinued effective in March 2009. Sterling models have substantial overlap with offerings in the Freightliner Trucks product line. Launched in 1998, Sterling has only achieved one-fourth of the Freightliner nameplate's market penetration despite ongoing improvement initiatives and product launches.

Additions to the Freightliner and Western Star product ranges will be made to address market segments that have been served exclusively by Sterling offerings in the DTNA stable.

DTNA expects that the Sterling dealer network will continue to perform warranty repairs and maintenance services, supply replacement parts and provide technical support for Sterling Truck owners. Dealers will continue to accept orders until January 15, 2009. New truck sales will continue until present dealer stocks are depleted.

mrsops
03-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Ron you need something like this..

bobcat_ron
03-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Nope, it's too big to be a daily driver, try getting that into a parking stall at the Doctor's office.

mrsops
03-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Nope, it's too big to be a daily driver, try getting that into a parking stall at the Doctor's office.

It beats dragging around a trailer all day long.

bobcat_ron
03-28-2009, 06:20 PM
I just did a build and price on a Dodge 4500, no frigging way, $40,000 USD.

bobcat_ron
03-28-2009, 06:21 PM
It beats dragging around a trailer all day long.

It does, but I can drop the trailer off at home and bugger off with the truck.

Junior M
03-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I just did a build and price on a Dodge 4500, no frigging way, $40,000 USD.
What about that one you found on the internet for like $29k?

Gravel Rat
03-28-2009, 06:46 PM
I know what you mean you need the truck. Like I said its cheaper to fix the emmissions crap on your 6.0 than buy a unproven chassis ie 4500-5500 Sterling.

The 6.0 is the last Ford diesel truck that a back yard mechanic can actually do some work on.

Today I changed the EGR valve on my truck today now it runs good again ya it was 200 dollars but I was told cleaning the valves does nothing.

If I have problems with the EGR cooler I probably will spend the money on the EGR delete.

Like I said the V-10 now is a better bang for the buck a brandnew I could have bought a brandnew 08 F-550 4x4 cab and chassis with the 165 wheelbase for 38,000 dollars that was a XLT truck. The diesel powered truck is 57,000 dollars. I was looking at the 550 and I thought thats a good deal I but I still owe 10 grand on my 03 F-450.

The reason why I buy nothing but Ford is they are easier to get parts for and the trucks are proven. Trying to get parts for your Dodge is impossible. A example the local repair shop working on a 04 1500 Dodge P/U had to wait a week for the parts to arrive and when they did they were the wrong parts.

My brother had to order parts from the Dodge dealer and its like pulling teeth and your waiting for days for parts to arrive. With the Fords if the dealer doesn't have it instock they have it the next day. No screwing around if you want it they can get it. Even if the part is in the warehouse in Edmonton its not a problem.

You talk about dealer support for equipment its no different when you buy vehicals. Dodge's dealer support sucks big time anybody with a Dodge truck that needs repairs plan on couple weeks without a truck while you wait for parts. Some parts have to come from somewhere in the South Eastern states of the USA.

GMD1984
03-28-2009, 07:03 PM
i also have a towing and auto repair shop in addittion to my landscaping compeny,
i have all dodge, jeep and crysler parts orderd by 4pm deliverd by 8:30 am next day, i owne all fords geting part form ford ever since the reopened after thir loung barke so they did not go under lol it has been tough to get part some time they are so fare behined .

by the way with 6.0 trade it in on a new one be for the warrenty runs out.

TXNSLighting
03-28-2009, 07:57 PM
i also have a towing and auto repair shop in addittion to my landscaping compeny,
i have all dodge, jeep and crysler parts orderd by 4pm deliverd by 8:30 am next day, i owne all fords geting part form ford ever since the reopened after thir loung barke so they did not go under lol it has been tough to get part some time they are so fare behined .

by the way with 6.0 trade it in on a new one be for the warrenty runs out.

Wow, proof read...that was kind of a hard read.

TXNSLighting
03-28-2009, 07:58 PM
GR you need to specify on every one of your posts from now on youre only talking Canada. Cuz almost none of what you say is the same as down here.

GMD1984
03-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Sorry guys my spelling is very bad

stuvecorp
03-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Ron, sounds like you use your truck like I do. That is why the Ford or Dodge/Sterling is so nice. Have to be able to park in the grocery parking lot.:) I don't think there is ever going to be problems with parts as the Sterling is a Dodge and there is lots out there.

bobcat_ron
03-28-2009, 09:34 PM
I spent the afternoon cruising trader.com, and there's nothing out there except the Sterling for my cash flow, even my dream truck (roll down tow truck style) is $50,000 and it's got some major kilometers on it.

Looks like I'm going for the Sterling, but not before I give BD Performance a call first.

Gravel Rat
03-28-2009, 11:15 PM
I still don't know what you are worrying about Ron. How much do you still owe on your current truck ?

You figure if you buy a cab and chassis truck you either have to spend 8 grand for a new deck or take the one off the Ford. Take the deck off the Ford then you will be lucky to get 20,000 for a cab and chassis.

bobcat_ron
03-28-2009, 11:53 PM
I still don't know what you are worrying about Ron. How much do you still owe on your current truck ?

You figure if you buy a cab and chassis truck you either have to spend 8 grand for a new deck or take the one off the Ford. Take the deck off the Ford then you will be lucky to get 20,000 for a cab and chassis.

I owe $30,000+ yet (private loan from dear old Dad, no set payments, just pay what you got) and the deck will get swapped over to the new truck, so I would spend only about $1500 in added costs including any welding and a new coat of paint for the deck.
If I can get at least $20,000 for the F450, I'm set, it's only got 43,000 kms, I have no life.

The biggest issue is how many more times I have to have engine problems like a bad EGR or possible blown turbo, once the warranty expires in Feb 2010, things get real expensive, and I am not always willing to give up that kind of cash and waste time having someone else move my skid steer and use my Dad's vehicles.
I'm sure Mr. Bunny could use a new home with a new sound. :laugh:

Gravel Rat
03-29-2009, 12:12 AM
I thought maybe you had a bank loan on the truck but if its through your dad then it is a different story.

I replaced the turbo on my 03 it was 1300 dollars for the turbo and I was able to get Ford to do it under warranty I forgot how but they paid the labour. The EGR valves you can do yourself its two bolts and some channel lock pliers wiggle and jiggle the POS valve out and replace it. I think I will order a egr block off plate. With my 03 its cheaper to eliminate the exhaust going through the EGR cooler. The 05 and newer trucks need a more modified up pipe for the turbo and some programming to make it work.

Myself I'am not scared of a 6.0 its no different than dealing with a 7.3 PSD. I do all the maintenance to my truck I keep the oil changed the do the fuel filters regulary.