PDA

View Full Version : Need help on hard contract.

madisonpressurewashing
03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Ok guys, I realy could use some help here. I got a non-profit group that wants me to mow 16 yards for them. They are easy and take about 30-45 minutes to mow. But, here is the hard part. They are all over North Alabama. It took 8 hours to drive to them all today. I spent only two minutes to look at each one of them. They are that easy. Just a small plot with a fence. I looks to me a 250 - 300 mile run. I mow them every two weeks. What do I charge them? If you all can take some your time to help me, I would be greatly thankful, for I am taking care of two very ill family members and I can't afford to blow this.

newtostone
03-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Can you make a long day of it or will it take two days?

Toxey
03-25-2009, 09:58 PM
I currently do some work in the Albertville/Guntersville/Boaz area. Do you have any places around there? If you need any help let me know.

madisonpressurewashing
03-25-2009, 10:13 PM
It be two long days. Toxey, I might get with ya some day.

ALC-GregH
03-25-2009, 10:34 PM
I would turn it down. I doubt they will pay you for the 7-8hrs of drive time every time you cut them PLUS the price to actually do the mowing.

polerpoker
03-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Just you or you have another guy? do you have time for two days of mowing? what year is your vehicle?

old oak lawn
03-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Too much drive time. I would thank them for the offer and turn them down.

The Elements Group
03-25-2009, 11:59 PM
dont charge them by the yd, charge them by the mile.... good luck

newtostone
03-26-2009, 01:26 AM
I would bid it high, and sub it out to companies in every area. If they want to cut a check to one person be that person. You already do this one take you but a day to find someone thats good and get them on a contract to do them for you pocket $25 a cut for hiring them and be happy. Maybe make the drive once a month to check on things.

madisonpressurewashing
03-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ambersLawnmowing
03-26-2009, 01:50 AM
8hours? Took less time to get to the moon.... Wow i would reconsider that drive. I can drive to another state in that amount of time. I would bid them high and then sub them out to anyone in that area.. Best of luck

madisonpressurewashing
03-26-2009, 01:52 AM
p.s. they want to pay .48 a mile. I have 05 tacoma. What would you charge for the drive time for two guys. $20 a man hour? They do have some cash, so, it might work.

Big C
03-26-2009, 02:34 AM
50 cents per mile plus the cost of each yard...or just sub it out......JMO

madisonpressurewashing
03-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Friday is my big day. Thanks for the help. But, one thing that is getting to me is that, I and a helper will have an average of 4 hours of drive time a day. Should I not be charging them for that?

madisonpressurewashing
03-26-2009, 08:43 PM
I forgot to say I going to split the thing into two days. It be 8 cuts a day. Only for two days a week.

old oak lawn
03-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Subbing work out? This is lawn care not construction work where he can check or people doing the work HE is responsible for. Subbing work out is a joke, you are responsible for them doing the work,damage,checking their insurance,paying them,getting paid so you can pay them and the list goes on. 8 hrs drive time ??? Run from this job.

newtostone
03-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Whats so hard about that? Having someone fax insurance over to you is 2 seconds hire a good contractor and theres no issues? He knows what to look for and what to stay away from....Shouldnt be too bad

Charge for drive time, you will still be paying your guys.

My idea on the whole thing is if you want it bid all of them at lets say 40% markup. They will pay it if the only want to deal with one contractor. Now cover the ones that you can do in one day and sub the rest out and that extra markup will pay for the one time you have to drive out and check on it each month.

old oak lawn
03-27-2009, 08:42 PM
What is so hard is that he will need more then 1 sub to do the work because the jobs are so far apart, HE will be RESPONSIBLE for the work getting done and correctly,good contractor? how will he know? I know know one 8 hrs away from me that does lawn service. Talk to your insurance comp. they will copy's of your sub;s insurance and a copy of all payments made to a sub. Now like i said a sub will not work.

madisonpressurewashing
03-29-2009, 04:05 PM
I walk in the office and ask him straight up where does he need to be. He then says," I do not need to be doing your work for you". I thought I was doing him a favor by asking him to really, name his own price. If he was to be low, I had paper work to show him why I needed more. Then he keeps talking about millage. I already have that in the price per cut. Also, he gets mad and says he will put something on the side for millage if gas went up to like $3- $4. But, he yips that he does not want to hear about every 5 cent movement of gas. BUT, HERE IS THE KICKER. He hands me over a copy of a property and its contract from last year. The meating lasted seven minutes, and when I got home I read where... OTHERS WHERE CHARGEING $300 a cut. I was at $90 which included pull time for two guys, cutting, and millage. What is going on here. What should I do? What would you do? P.S. It takes 30min to a hour to do each cutting. Please help for I do need this money for my ill parents and thier medical bills.

Carolina Cuts
03-29-2009, 07:50 PM
pass.... :o)

Tony Clifton
03-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Dude, how many hours is this going to take you?
2 11hr days with 2 guys?
If so, $1700-$1800 or so will cover you if you feel like dealing with the travel....should be an easy way to fill up 2 days a week on the schedule.

madisonpressurewashing
03-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks Toney!
it be 2 14hr days!

DuallyVette
03-30-2009, 12:49 AM
I walk in the office and ask him straight up where does he need to be. He then says," I do not need to be doing your work for you". I thought I was doing him a favor by asking him to really, name his own price. If he was to be low, I had paper work to show him why I needed more. Then he keeps talking about millage. I already have that in the price per cut. Also, he gets mad and says he will put something on the side for millage if gas went up to like $3- $4. But, he yips that he does not want to hear about every 5 cent movement of gas. BUT, HERE IS THE KICKER. He hands me over a copy of a property and its contract from last year. The meating lasted seven minutes, and when I got home I read where... OTHERS WHERE CHARGEING $300 a cut. I was at $90 which included pull time for two guys, cutting, and millage. What is going on here. What should I do? What would you do? P.S. It takes 30min to a hour to do each cutting. Please help for I do need this money for my ill parents and thier medical bills.

This looks like He thinks that you don't have a clue. Your charging $90 for what he was paying $300 for. THEN...the nickle & dime conversation about gas increase. (this would be ok, if you went to the meeting with a written proposal, including fuel price increases)

I don't see 2-14 hour days. I see 3-9+ hour days. If you did it in 2 days, I'd do one route one week, and the other route the next week, since they are every other week jobs.

I may be totally wrong here, and I probably misunderstand the whole thing. Your verbiage here is hard to follow and can be taken in more than one way.

A child is not responsible for his parents medical bills. If you NEVER sign anything saying that you'll PAY. They will give your parents "reasonable" care, suck all they can from Medicaid, and mark off the rest. Don't sign anything, the outcome will be the same.

I also don't think that anyone could cut enough grass to pay medical bills.