PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Lift

DaughtryLC
03-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Is it worth the $?
I added a ft to my gate over the winter and it gets alittle heavy after lunch!!:rolleyes:

mississippiturf
03-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Yep, its worth the $$. I'm 58 years old, run solo, and that tail gate was getting awlful heavy at the end of the day!! You and your back will be jumping for joy!! I now lift the tail gate with my toe up to my hand and flip it up to the verticle position with no effort.!!

ALC-GregH
03-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Yep, its worth the $$. I'm 58 years old, run solo, and that tail gate was getting awful heavy at the end of the day!! You and your back will be jumping for joy!! I now lift the tail gate with my toe up to my hand and flip it up to the vertical position with no effort.!!

Ditto. Works great.

Pietro
03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Dont get it. We bought it and after it was installed I realized what it is. If I had to do it again I would just go to home depot and get some big springs and some cable and make one myself for 75% less. All it consists of are those big garage door springs and some cable.

ALC-GregH
03-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Dont get it. We bought it and after it was installed I realized what it is. If I had to do it again I would just go to home depot and get some big springs and some cable and make one myself for 75% less. All it consists of are those big garage door springs and some cable.

To me, that would look sloppy. How will you mount the springs on the trailer?

Lawnut101
03-26-2009, 03:27 PM
What do they run $$?

Crash
03-26-2009, 03:36 PM

Yup...just make it yourself. Alot less money and it's the same thing.

redfox033
03-26-2009, 04:55 PM
I mad my own for about $25.00 and they look ok. I don't know how to put pics online, but if you give me your email address I can send you pics.

DaughtryLC
03-26-2009, 07:55 PM
What do they run $$?

I went ahead and ordered a set, dont have time to make them!, ebay at the door for less than 200, new

bowhunter74
03-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I made one a few years ago, and it worked good untill I added a foot to my gate and I couldn't get heaver springs to lift it as easily, and for what you will spend on everything to make it you might as well buy one. I bought one this year and it is nicer than a homemade one got mine for $169 with free shipping.

ALC-GregH
03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I went ahead and ordered a set, dont have time to make them!, ebay at the door for less than 200, new

You won't be disappointed.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2731.jpg

ALC-GregH
03-26-2009, 08:34 PM
One thing I noticed after I started using it was the cable hitting the metal frame on the trailer when the gate was down. It wasn't hitting by much. I simply marked where it was hitting and notched the framing. The cable is plastic coated and mine tore the plastic after it rubbed the frame enough. I just wish I had realized it before it worn the plastic on the cable. It didn't hinder the functionality of it at all.

I also had to drill a hole a few inches lower then what the instructions say. When I had it in the original holes, the gate wouldn't stay down at all. If I step on it, it will go down but every time I needed to put the mower on, I had to get something to hold it down. After I drilled holes lower and re-mounted the cable, it will stay down enough. I like the fact that you have to literally slam the gate down to put it down and you can bump it up with your toes with no effort at all.

DaughtryLC
03-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I added a ft to the gate, do u all think it will still work good?

ALC-GregH
03-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I added a ft to the gate, do u all think it will still work good?

Yes, you'll need to mount the cable higher up on the gate. The instructions will give you the dimensions on how high the cable needs to be according to the length and type of gate. It should work just fine.

cclllc
06-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Yup...just make it yourself. Alot less money and it's the same thing.

I made a set for both my trailers. They work great.I can pick the gate up with my foot. I have pvc over the springs but plan to use metal pipe which I have but yet to install.

TomberLawn
06-20-2009, 01:25 AM
I love my Gorilla Lift! Our old trailer had them on it and I only used the new trailer one day before ordering a new set for it. It takes more effort to drop the gate than pick it up--can't beat that!

By the way, awesome looking tires on that mower, cclllc. Do they tear up turf bad?

corey4671
06-20-2009, 01:30 AM
had two of them installed on my trailer last year. Had no idea how heavy that gate was until I had the lift installed. My trailer is an older trailer and had a HEAVY gate so I needed two of them. You won't be disappointed.

cclllc
06-21-2009, 12:40 AM
I love my Gorilla Lift! Our old trailer had them on it and I only used the new trailer one day before ordering a new set for it. It takes more effort to drop the gate than pick it up--can't beat that!

By the way, awesome looking tires on that mower, cclllc. Do they tear up turf bad?

No but that is an old pic.I have HD field Trax on it now.

TomberLawn
06-21-2009, 08:51 AM
No but that is an old pic.I have HD field Trax on it now.

Is that the Gator style tread? I think that's what our old 6x4 Deere Gator had on it. And JD is putting those tires on its "premium" tractor mowers.

t j lawn care
06-21-2009, 10:05 AM
I have the gator assist on my trailer and it works great. But does someone make assist on the side gate on a trailer?

cclllc
06-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Is it a folding gate or one piece? Pics would help as to the size and shape

DaughtryLC
06-22-2009, 06:53 PM
I just wanted to give yall an update

I bought the lift shortly after this thread started and it works GREAT!!

I should have done it a lOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago!!

I just went with the Gorilla Lift, I didnt have time to make one

grassmasterswilson
06-22-2009, 08:08 PM
I had them and loved them until they started to break. The wire was not rubber coated and it frayed in the middle on two different cables. They sent me a replacement the first time and the second time I just said forget it. Using one cable worked for a while, but I decided to take it off.

The trailer was a dove tail and I had to cut a 2 x 4 to compensate for the drop down. Don't know it that messed anything up, but the cables didn't rub against anything.

Anyone know of a lift assist made for dove tail trailers?

Weedas_Lawn_Care
06-23-2009, 03:49 PM
you guys that make them yourself what springs do you use and where to you get them

wnccutter
06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I made a set for both my trailers. They work great.I can pick the gate up with my foot. I have pvc over the springs but plan to use metal pipe which I have but yet to install.

Not bad. The pvc doesn't look that bad either. Another good thing is that it looks like it would be easy to fix or replace parts since you can pick them up at any hardware store.

I have the Gorrilla Lift, but would consider a set up like you have on my next trailer.

No complaints with teh Gorrilla Lift...except that, one was put in millimeters to long so the gate hits the roller...I've had to replace several rollers. I've check to see if I could remount it but with the tolerances so tight I don't think it would work. 2 replaced rollers over 5 years is not that bad.