PDA

View Full Version : Estimate Help needed

slamjamrockinman
03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Well I am torn on what to charge for a job I am taking on. I just wondered if anyone could help me out a bit. Here is what the job is. Customer has a yard full of "native plant" gardens. She wants all the stalks and plants trimmed or pulled out just like you would do to hostas or ornamental grasses. She also wants the dead plants hauled away. It would take no more than one trip to haul everything away. I'd say the job would take no more than a day. Two guys working on the job, not sure what to charge for this kind of work, b/c i've never really done something like this. Anyone have any idea? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks in advance!!

pinto n mwr
03-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Well I am torn on what to charge for a job I am taking on. I just wondered if anyone could help me out a bit. Here is what the job is. Customer has a yard full of "native plant" gardens. She wants all the stalks and plants trimmed or pulled out just like you would do to hostas or ornamental grasses. She also wants the dead plants hauled away. It would take no more than one trip to haul everything away. I'd say the job would take no more than a day. Two guys working on the job, not sure what to charge for this kind of work, b/c i've never really done something like this. Anyone have any idea? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks in advance!!

You answered your own question... No more than one trip for disposal, so measure what ever you use for disposal which will give you how many yards of disposal-double or triple that amount when you bill. Two people no more than a day, two guys x your company hourly rate.

mississippiturf
03-25-2009, 11:04 PM
You answered your own question... No more than one trip for disposal, so measure what ever you use for disposal which will give you how many yards of disposal-double or triple that amount when you bill. Two people no more than a day, two guys x your company hourly rate.

Very good advice. Some will disagree with me, but if you are totally lost in giving an estimate, then tell the customer that you want to be fair and not charge too much or too little but you will do it for "X" amount per man hour plus disposal fees.

slamjamrockinman
03-25-2009, 11:08 PM
alright, i get what you're saying. one question though, When you say your company hourly rate, do you mean what I charge per man per hour? thanks for the advice!

pinto n mwr
03-25-2009, 11:21 PM
yeah company rate per hour, don't ask what it is on here because everyone is different depending on how big, how much overhead, the hourly wage of the people doing it, etc... A job like that IMO needs to be estimated like that. If it were mowing your could use that also but most likely it is just a flat rate because some weeks it will take longer and some weeks shorter. Just think about it, have a brain fart or two, but it will come to you on what you should charge.

slamjamrockinman
03-26-2009, 12:00 AM
yeah company rate per hour, don't ask what it is on here because everyone is different depending on how big, how much overhead, the hourly wage of the people doing it, etc... A job like that IMO needs to be estimated like that. If it were mowing your could use that also but most likely it is just a flat rate because some weeks it will take longer and some weeks shorter. Just think about it, have a brain fart or two, but it will come to you on what you should charge.

Ya, I know what you mean, everyone's rate is different because everyone's overhead is different. Thanks for the help! anyone else got any advice?

ambersLawnmowing
03-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Hourly is the way to go on that, However Guessimate how long it will take you and add an hour or a half an hour and give them a dollar amount. There isnt too much that can go wrong, Not really any equipment to break, Say it takes 5 hours with two guys i would charge $300 for the labor and the dump charges me $20 so total $320.. That is our hourly rate for that type of service. Only tools are hands and Shovels and a blade, Those jobs are nice once in awhile

Lawnut101
03-26-2009, 01:05 AM
I would figure 16 hours x your hourly rate. So for instance, 16 hrs X $40 = $640 labor and say you charge $40 for a dump charge. Total price would be $680. And you can tell her if it takes you less time, than it will cost her less. It's a good idea to bid stuff high.

slamjamrockinman
03-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Hourly is the way to go on that, However Guessimate how long it will take you and add an hour or a half an hour and give them a dollar amount. There isnt too much that can go wrong, Not really any equipment to break, Say it takes 5 hours with two guys i would charge $300 for the labor and the dump charges me $20 so total $320.. That is our hourly rate for that type of service. Only tools are hands and Shovels and a blade, Those jobs are nice once in awhile

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I don't think I could charge a whole lot more. There really is hardly any tools needed other than the truck and trailer. Thanks for the advice!

slamjamrockinman
03-26-2009, 01:24 AM
I would figure 16 hours x your hourly rate. So for instance, 16 hrs X $40 = $640 labor and say you charge $40 for a dump charge. Total price would be $680. And you can tell her if it takes you less time, than it will cost her less. It's a good idea to bid stuff high.

Ya that's what I was thinking if it were to take eight hours, but I'm leaning more towards five or six. I definately agree though to bid it a little bit high though and explain that it can be cheaper. Not sure though, I'll have to go take a look at it tommorrow and really try to get an idea. I don't want to underbid this one and screw myself over. Thanks much for the advice!!

terrapro
03-26-2009, 08:09 AM
please get a book!

if you have no idea on what you are doing you might want to pass on this completly. unlike many here i do horticulture as my profession not just lawns. this is not grass these are perennials, there is a time to do something and a time to NOT do it. you can do major permanent damage to these plants and each plant has specific needs at different times. replacing damaged perennials can get expensive at $10-15 per.

if you are going to tackle it i can give you a quick word of advice. if its dry, brittle, and dead and NOT woody cut it down. there is some that need to be cut back and are woody but i wont get into those because you need to know proper pruning procedure.

good luck