PDA

View Full Version : STIHL KOMBI SYSTEM - YES or NO ???

Going Commercial
03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
I am a Stihl guy but not quite sure on the Kombi System. I will be purchasing a dedicated line trimmer, deciding on a 110rx. Also looking into buying a second unit, the 110 Kombi because I need an edger and thought of future use for adding attachments. That being said, I am looking for input on the Kombi in regards to reliability and quality of use. Thanks to all who reply!!!

mississippiturf
03-25-2009, 10:56 PM
I wrestled with the same choices early last year. I purchased the 110 kombi and the following attachments: string trimmer, stick edger, cultivator, pole saw w/extension, and the articulating hedge trimmer.
I'll admit that it gets a bit heavy after awhile, but I have made lots of money with the attachments. The pole saw itself has more than paid for all the attachments combined!

And, as always, it still cranks on the first pull!

GracesLandscaping
03-25-2009, 11:11 PM
i dont see why not... ive been running one lately and if your gonna buy a stihl and even think you might have the use for any of the attachments i dont see why you wouldnt buy it. i mean, you get the same powerhead so its a win/win to me!

MnDLawn
03-25-2009, 11:33 PM
I've been thinking of getting one. The only negative thing I can see is that the system has been around for awhile (4 years I think) and they might change the design. And then I'll be stuck with a unit I can't get attachments for. But probably not.

4.3mudder
03-25-2009, 11:57 PM
I've been thinking of getting one. The only negative thing I can see is that the system has been around for awhile (4 years I think) and they might change the design. And then I'll be stuck with a unit I can't get attachments for. But probably not.

I don't think they will do that. They first started out with the KM55 and KM80 then came along the 110, 130, and now some 56 model. I don't think they will make a drastic change or changes.

I started out first with the kombi attachments and love them. If you only do a few yards, it will be great. If you are doing a whole lot, changing out attachments everytime would not be the way to go. My kombi stuff now is primarily a backup unit, but I do have the hedge trimmer att. I use, and love it.

The way I think of the kombi, is that it is a backup unit, because every attachment they make for it can backup any handheld.

MnDLawn
03-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Ya diden't figure they would change it anytime soon, when Stihl has a good thing they rarely change it. It's mostly going to be a backup, backup unit. The broom and pole saw will get used more than the trimmer. Does it come with any attachments or is it just the power head?

4.3mudder
03-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Does it come with any attachments or is it just the power head?

What do you mean? You can buy everything individually. They used to have "package deals" if you bought a power head and a couple attachments. I don't know if they do that anymore.

Trenchblade
03-26-2009, 08:55 AM
we love the stihl kombi system, have one on every truck.

Prime Cuts
03-26-2009, 01:52 PM
the 130 with the edger will make a believer out of you ...... we use the pole saw & hedge trimmer on them but its the baddest stick edger I have ever used

mitw44
04-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I bought the K110R last year, and love it. I have the string trimmer, the articulating hedge trimmer (this is awesome on tall hedges), edger, and pole saw. I mainly mow, but do lay down edges for a few customers, and invariably am asked to trim hedges and light tree trimiming. I probably could not justify having a dedicated tool for all of these tasks, plus I keep the gas fresh in the power head because the power head gets regular use this way. It is actually becoming my preferred string trimmer over my older stihl fs 80. I also really like the power and starting ability of the new 4-mix engine.:rolleyes:

Geo2199
04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I say go ahead and get it. My first brand new piece of equipment i started off with the KM90 plus a pole pruner and lawn edger. I saved a couple of hundred dollars on just doing that alone. The more attachments you buy the more money you end up saving. Thats wh y i will probably add a trimmer attachment and a hedhge trimer also, saving another couple of hundred dolars instead of getting the dedicated pieces. And when I do get big enough, I might buy dedicated peices or just end up upgrading to a KM110 to save even more money down the road.

cgaengineer
04-07-2009, 09:20 PM
The KM130 is a beast. I have the brush blade, trimmer both straight and curved and the tiller. I do not need a trimmer rack as I have a tool box elevated on a rack in the front of my trailer which allows me to lock them and keep them out of the weather.

Changing attachments requires no time, I never even turn my unit off.

As another poster said, just wait until you edge with it.

As far as the folks who say what about a backup, buy another KM power head...problem solved. I might add that I have another power head, though not a 130. With one unit you only have to maintain one powerhead not a trimmer, edger, pole saw, hedge trimmer...etc.

Oh and for you folks who say they are not professional...well let me say they are all commercial units with the exception of the 2 stroke 85. Every tool made for them is commercial.

task125
04-07-2009, 09:26 PM
I have the 130 power head.I use it as a back up trimmer,and have the edger with a trenchblade to recondition beds.chainsaw,hedge trimmer,and broom. great tool

shovelracer
04-07-2009, 09:32 PM
110 here. I did have to replace a carb after 3 seasons, but only cause it somehow clogged a jet when someone ran it dry. The gaskets fell apart when we disassembled and a new carb was faster than a rebuild. Runs like a champ. We have a trimmer for extreme backup, but it is way to heavy to lug around all day. We also have a brushcutter head, articulating hedge, pole extensions, and a power broom. The hedge trimmer and power broom have paid for themselves 100 times over. I laugh everytime I see some one pruning a hedge straddled over a ladder and get a sense of satisfaction everytime I see someone raking or blowing gravel out of a lawn. Stihl makes a good engine, but every piece I own from them has problem with the cheap plastic parts, knobs etc.

Mowbizz
04-07-2009, 09:36 PM
What everyone else said...
I have the 130, curved edger, back up trimmer, cultivator, and both rubber paddle and bristle brooms. I'll admit, I haven't used all the attachments yet but the 130 head has torque a-plenty. I'll be christening the rubber paddle broom on a sand job tomorrow. I have confidence it will perform as expected...

Mowbizz
04-22-2009, 09:07 PM
What everyone else said...
I have the 130, curved edger, back up trimmer, cultivator, and both rubber paddle and bristle brooms. I'll admit, I haven't used all the attachments yet but the 130 head has torque a-plenty. I'll be christening the rubber paddle broom on a sand job tomorrow. I have confidence it will perform as expected...

Sorry a little late..but I used my rubber paddles and bristle brushes on that sand job last week...WOW!! What a timesaver!

LOL..I started out removing the sand from the grass and I was lifting the unit every time I went to start a new pass...then after about a half hour and some very sore forearms...I discovered that I could just let the unit "walk" forward...man oh man what a difference!
I love them and will never push a broom again!!:drinkup:

freshprince94
04-22-2009, 09:10 PM
I have the KM 90 with the articulating hedge trimmer and I love it, it runs great. I wouldn't use it as my everything machine, because if it goes down, you lose all your machines. I used to use it as an edger, but I didn't like the straight shaft. I would recommend the Kombi for the use you described.

cgaengineer
04-22-2009, 09:41 PM
I have the KM 90 with the articulating hedge trimmer and I love it, it runs great. I wouldn't use it as my everything machine, because if it goes down, you lose all your machines. I used to use it as an edger, but I didn't like the straight shaft. I would recommend the Kombi for the use you described.

Buy two power heads like I did and you will not have to worry about that.

mowerknower
04-22-2009, 09:50 PM
I dont think I even need to comment on this one.

1styear
04-22-2009, 11:12 PM
which edger attachment do most prefer? the curved or straight

I need to purchase an edger as well and have been looking at this system.

cgaengineer
04-22-2009, 11:21 PM
which edger attachment do most prefer? the curved or straight

I need to purchase an edger as well and have been looking at this system.

I have both, and both work well, but the straight shaft is much better. More power to the ground.

1styear
04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
straight sounds good to me. I've always used my trimmer to edge but have some older residential that need whipping into shape w/edger

I was thinking straight but was thrown off by the offset of the curve. This offset must make it easier to handle for those who don't have The Touch

corey4671
04-22-2009, 11:29 PM
bought the 110 last year with a trimmer head, articulating hedge trimmer, pole saw and straight edger. later in the spring, the frame of my BR600 broke and it was in the shop for a few days. Bought the blower attachment. WOW. Last fall, I realized the gutter kit I have for my handheld Stihl blowervac would fit the kombi blower. Made an AWESOME gutter cleaning tool. I also bought the extension pole for use with the pole saw and hedge trimmer. I trimmed a TON of crape myrtles with the pole saw last fall. One of the best tools I have on the trailer.

mag360
04-22-2009, 11:37 PM
We use the attachments on our fs100's and 130. All but the curved shaft edger and trimmer can be mounted on a standard unit the same as removing and replacing the trimmer head.

SouthernDelight
04-23-2009, 01:08 AM
I have been using the K setup for 3 years. I have 6 separate ones in use and the only thing that has gone wrong is a plastic bushing has broken in one of the edger attachments.

These are great moneymakers and very reliable setups.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-23-2009, 01:12 AM
I purch. the KM90 with tiller and straight trimmer head. Have not used the trimmer head yet (not yet mowing time here), but have used the tiller head in my own garden and it does a nice job. I would recommend the KM90 OR KM130. Not enough difference between the KM 90 and 110 to make the upgrade worth it.

SouthernDelight
04-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Not enough difference between the KM 90 and 110 to make the upgrade worth it.

I beg to differ. The 90 seems sluggish to me whereas the 130 seems heavy as hell. I have the 110's and they are the perfect balance of power to weight.

TheC-Master
04-23-2009, 03:24 AM
Kombi system is great when you are starting out and doing a few lawns and no more. But once you get to even 5 a week or so the changing out will damage the internal rod, I was told this before it happened by a landscaper, and then the store said the same thing. Mine was under warranty so I got it fixed and sold it online and then I bought an FS and FC 110. Don't expect to use the Kombi system full time.

cgaengineer
04-23-2009, 06:41 AM
Kombi system is great when you are starting out and doing a few lawns and no more. But once you get to even 5 a week or so the changing out will damage the internal rod, I was told this before it happened by a landscaper, and then the store said the same thing. Mine was under warranty so I got it fixed and sold it online and then I bought an FS and FC 110. Don't expect to use the Kombi system full time.

Please tell me what breaks exactly. I have only broken the alignment clips, $.25 cents each or so. Even with the clips broken it is easy to put together, one twist of the head and its aligned and ready to be used. My clips likely broke because I do not power my unit down when switching tools.

TheC-Master
04-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Please tell me what breaks exactly. I have only broken the alignment clips, $.25 cents each or so. Even with the clips broken it is easy to put together, one twist of the head and its aligned and ready to be used. My clips likely broke because I do not power my unit down when switching tools.

Well maybe "break" wasn't the word, or maybe it was. The small rod inside the pole comes lose when you are switching out more often. Like I said it was under warranty and it did its job well, but I didn't want to deal with it happening again and again as I grew, which they told me it would as well as other larger companies that had them. It's a good machine though.

It tightens automatically by the way to those who haven't tried it. You don't have to screw in anything, but that might be why the rod loosens after tons of usage in commercial work.

cgaengineer
04-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Well maybe "break" wasn't the word, or maybe it was. The small rod inside the pole comes lose when you are switching out more often. Like I said it was under warranty and it did its job well, but I didn't want to deal with it happening again and again as I grew, which they told me it would as well as other larger companies that had them. It's a good machine though.

It tightens automatically by the way to those who haven't tried it. You don't have to screw in anything, but that might be why the rod loosens after tons of usage in commercial work.

I am not sure what exactly you are talking about. Its a lower shaft (The part with the tool), a power head shaft (The engine side) which has a collect and 2 small alignment springs. If your shaft came loose it was the plastic retainer that broke which contains the lower shaft in the lower drive shaft tube (this plastic piece keeps the drive shaft from falling out of the drive tube). The likely cause for this was because your lower geared head was not seated all the way up on the lower shaft tube. Confusing for me to describe, but it should have never been a problem. I have used mine so much I have worn the threads out on the thumb screw and had to replace it.

I would not hesitate to recommend the KM series for everyday use with a backup power head. Even if you have 3 dedicated tools and one breaks you still cannot finish the job, though I do see the point if you operate with one power head and it goes down you cannot use edger, trimmer or any other tool. Can we agree that loss of a trimmer or edger would cost you a second trip back to the site to finish up whether dedicated or a KM?

Paul_B
04-23-2009, 09:31 AM
I've got the 130 powerhead with the articulating hedge trimmer, edger, and trimmer attachment. Very well built and tons of power. The hedge trimmer alone has saved me a ton of time on trimming large bushes. I still want to add the pole saw to my line-up.

larryinalabama
04-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Save this thred

cgaengineer
04-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Oh and just so everyone knows. All the KM attachments are commercial. Only two power heads are homeowner stuff, the KM55 and KM56. Both are 2 strokes.

larryinalabama
04-23-2009, 11:20 AM
bought the 110 last year with a trimmer head, articulating hedge trimmer, pole saw and straight edger. later in the spring, the frame of my BR600 broke and it was in the shop for a few days. Bought the blower attachment. WOW. Last fall, I realized the gutter kit I have for my handheld Stihl blowervac would fit the kombi blower. Made an AWESOME gutter cleaning tool. I also bought the extension pole for use with the pole saw and hedge trimmer. I trimmed a TON of crape myrtles with the pole saw last fall. One of the best tools I have on the trailer.

Is the gutter cleaning attachment like a little vacumn?

cgaengineer
04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
"Bought the blower attachment. WOW. Last fall, I realized the gutter kit I have for my handheld Stihl blowervac would fit the kombi blower. Made an AWESOME gutter cleaning tool."

I did not know this. If you can verify this is correct I may just by the blower tool. I already have the BG85 and gutter pipes...I love it, it works great. I also have the BR600 which is also great but the BG pipes are too small to hook up to it!

SouthernDelight
04-23-2009, 11:36 AM
I just havent had any of those problems with the exception of the alignment clips. They are great tools and I use them full time.

larryinalabama
04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
"Bought the blower attachment. WOW. Last fall, I realized the gutter kit I have for my handheld Stihl blowervac would fit the kombi blower. Made an AWESOME gutter cleaning tool."

I did not know this. If you can verify this is correct I may just by the blower tool. I already have the BG85 and gutter pipes...I love it, it works great. I also have the BR600 which is also great but the BG pipes are too small to hook up to it!

Hey CGA. Does the gutter attachment vacumn out the leaves or blow them out. I need a small vacumn for cleaning out hedge clipping from pinestraw?

land_scaper70
04-23-2009, 12:08 PM
I have the Kombi 110 and Love it. I believe you can use the attachments on any of the shaft drive units. Meaning when you buy the attachments you do not need the extension for them you can just change out the attachment at the end of the unit with the star tool. This may take more time but it is a savings as well. The only reason to have the Kombi in my opinoion is for the pole saw and the extensions attachments you may need for it.

TheC-Master
04-23-2009, 12:17 PM
I am not sure what exactly you are talking about. Its a lower shaft (The part with the tool), a power head shaft (The engine side) which has a collect and 2 small alignment springs. If your shaft came loose it was the plastic retainer that broke which contains the lower shaft in the lower drive shaft tube (this plastic piece keeps the drive shaft from falling out of the drive tube). The likely cause for this was because your lower geared head was not seated all the way up on the lower shaft tube. Confusing for me to describe, but it should have never been a problem. I have used mine so much I have worn the threads out on the thumb screw and had to replace it.

I would not hesitate to recommend the KM series for everyday use with a backup power head. Even if you have 3 dedicated tools and one breaks you still cannot finish the job, though I do see the point if you operate with one power head and it goes down you cannot use edger, trimmer or any other tool. Can we agree that loss of a trimmer or edger would cost you a second trip back to the site to finish up whether dedicated or a KM?I can't remember if the shaft itself fell out or not, it might have done so. This was a year ago. I absolutely think it's perfect for backup. I was just going by my experience. I'm definitely not rough with my tools and am very finicky with them, landscapers who did a ton of lawns a week and the store told me it would have issues holding up. Plus I like the bonus of having the stress on different machines and having another tool if I pick up help here and then.

If none of those issues are a problem with you then feel free to enjoy it. I definitely think it is a good machne, but I wouldn't prefer to use it full time as my starting unit now. I used it then to save a bit of cash, I spent probably 500 or 600 for the KM90 with the curved shaft and trimmer head.

cgaengineer
04-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Hey CGA. Does the gutter attachment vacumn out the leaves or blow them out. I need a small vacumn for cleaning out hedge clipping from pinestraw?

It blows them out. They do make a vac for the BG85 though, but I am not sure how it would work picking up clippings (I have wondered though). I have been clipping them weekly and just leaving very small leaves and in about 3 days you cant even see them (Mostly new growth). If I have to reshape or prune back I will remove everything when finished.

larryinalabama
04-23-2009, 04:11 PM
It blows them out. They do make a vac for the BG85 though, but I am not sure how it would work picking up clippings (I have wondered though). I have been clipping them weekly and just leaving very small leaves and in about 3 days you cant even see them (Mostly new growth). If I have to reshape or prune back I will remove everything when finished.

Is the BG85 homeowners? Many years ago I had a Sears hand held blower and it had a vacumn attachment but I never used it. I may purchase another one and try it. I think the BG85 with vacumn attachment would be over 200$ and the Sears would be under 100$ and it would be ok for a backup blower also.
Im luckey to have landed a high end account and I just layed down fresh pinestraw, trimed everything first, but in a couple of months will have to trim again and I want the clippings completely gone from the pinestraw.

cgaengineer
04-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Is the BG85 homeowners? Many years ago I had a Sears hand held blower and it had a vacumn attachment but I never used it. I may purchase another one and try it. I think the BG85 with vacumn attachment would be over 200$ and the Sears would be under 100$ and it would be ok for a backup blower also.
Im luckey to have landed a high end account and I just layed down fresh pinestraw, trimed everything first, but in a couple of months will have to trim again and I want the clippings completely gone from the pinestraw.

Larry the BG85 is their commercial hand held. The Crapsman sounds like a deal to me. For the little use it would be worth $100.