PDA

View Full Version : Walker mower casters

TGramstorff
03-26-2009, 12:08 AM
I saw on the walker site that you can get an accessory that would split the rear casters to follow directly behind the drive tires. Sounds complicated, take a look....http://www.walkermowers.com/options-di.html

Does anyone use this? I like the idea that it gets rid of the center track, but It says that it may be less menuverable close to houses etc. If anyone has any experience with this please let me know. Thanks!

GallucciLandscaping
03-26-2009, 12:58 AM
i never used one but it seems as though you would be dropping into shrub beds more easily if your in tight areas or not paying attention

tyler_mott85
03-26-2009, 08:36 AM
I've heard that there are pros and cons to this setup. On the Con side it does make the wheels wider in the rear. Anyone who is experienced with Walkers knows how close you can get that rear wheel to metal edging or obstacles without running it over. Putting those wheels on it would give you less space to make the turn.

On the Pro side I've heard that it significantly aids in the machines ability to traverse hills. Again, anyone with lots of Walker experience knows that this is a limited ability to begin with and any aid would be very useful to a lot of Walker owners.

Now with that being said I've seen a rear wheel lock for that single caster so theoretically you can get the same traversing capability without modifying the wheel. And, the third wheel look is highly desired in my part of the country. Everyone around here knows the Walker brand leaves that stripe so to lose that stripe may lose some of your marketability.

Good Luck!

Jason Rose
03-26-2009, 12:44 PM
The split tail wheel option has been cussed and discuessed before. General consensus, don't waste your money. If all you mow are large open areas, and with the 52" or larger SD decks it might work out good with the split tail wheels.

Periodically I see them for sale on E-bay, usually "like new". That kinda tells me something...

CrystalCreek
03-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Dont waste your money on the tail wheel lock either. Wont last more then a season. The locking pins wear quickly, and are a PITA to replace. Also, if your on a hill and the rear wheel starts to slide, you will tear the turf something feerce. Stay within the machiens limits and save some money. Hope this helps.

ed2hess
03-26-2009, 07:50 PM
I wonder if the ride would improve. Just can't seem to dodge any holes with the darn little Walker. Worst riding mower I have ever been on.