PDA

View Full Version : playset area advice needed

shovelracer
03-26-2009, 12:13 AM
I have a play area we are going to be building an area for. Problem is the area is tight. The owner and I have been searching for everything out there and sort of have it narrowed down to to a few choices. Question is what is a standard swing zone safety area. Everyone states 6 foot on each side, but this is a hair too big. We figure your average swing has a full radius of 6 foot. This is 12 foot for the swing zone. How tight can we push the area before it becomes a hazard. Can you safely fit this into a 20' area without a real concern? 18 foot? Thanks for any suggestions.

Isobel
03-26-2009, 01:24 AM
So you want to cut corners on the safety of children?

Figure that even with a 6 foot swing radius, kids are still going to jump off the end--b/c they're kids and are unpredictable.

don't skimp on the area, give a nice big cushion--more than the kids will use. If the area is tight, then don't put the play set there.

AGLA
03-26-2009, 07:54 AM
If you use the spec's put out by the manufacturer and someone gets hurt it is on the manufacturer. If you shorten those spec's and someone gets hurt, it is on you.

shovelracer
03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
agreed with the liability. Making it bigger is just not possible. 20 foot is the max we can go. We arent moving the house or neighbors fence you know. Sort of like square peg round hole.

White Gardens
03-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Have you thought about cutting out the swings and just do a playset with a slide and clubhouse, or is the customer dead set on the swings.

Isobel
03-26-2009, 06:02 PM
at 12 foot diameter, with a 20 foot space, that only leaves 4 feet on each end.

I wouldn't put it in there. sometimes what a client wants just isn't possible...

shovelracer
03-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Im beginning to think this myself. I talked to a few of the possible manufactures service departments today. They all are going to need 24 feet which seems like a lot, but I agree it could be a liability otherwise. When I was a kid we had an area that was framed with 2 RRties so it was 16 feet. I remember it took a lot to jump over the ties.

shovelracer
03-26-2009, 08:01 PM
On the other hand if they do jump there is a wall there. I can just see someone head butting the foundation wall.