PDA

View Full Version : scag vs. snapper

glidewells
03-26-2009, 01:23 AM
I am looking to purchase a new zero turn. I want a good quality machine and something that will last. I cut 4-5 acres once a week and I may pick up some yards on the side this summer. I have been looking and I have narrowed down my choices to the scag freedom z 48" w/ B&S($4800) or the Snapper s150x w/ 19hp kawi($5300). Both dealers are good and i don't think service would be a problem with either. Can anyone offer there suggestions or opinions on either of these mowers? It would be much appreciated.

DaughtryLC
03-26-2009, 01:28 AM
I run Snapper Pros and I like Scag! But, I would not buy anything with a B&S on it. Just my 2 cents. Pay the extra for the kaw!!

mjealey
03-31-2009, 07:39 PM
I really like my Snapper Pro! I have the s150x with 21 hp Kawasaki and 48" deck. I also have a Scag Tiger cub and it has 19HP Kawasaki and 48" deck. The Snapper has been more reliable and it is smoother than the Scag. Scag's are great machines, but my next mower will be another Snapper Pro. Same quality as the Scag, and my Snapper has bigger and better pumps than the Scag and some other features that the Scag doesn't have. Quite a bitl ess in the price department too.

DRBLawnBuster
03-31-2009, 07:56 PM
I would go with the scag but get the kawaski engine it wil hold up longer, i demoed the freedom z and it was a graet little zero turn but i really didnt have the money so i went with a walkbehind. The only thing i would buy would be 21" snapper mower i heard they are great.

Proc's Lawncare
03-31-2009, 07:58 PM
I would bank on Snapper Pro... I love Snapper mowers and the pro series are awesome machines at an affordable price tag...

lifetree
03-31-2009, 08:08 PM
I run Snapper Pros and I like Scag! But, I would not buy anything with a B&S on it. Just my 2 cents. Pay the extra for the kaw!!

I would bank on Snapper Pro... I love Snapper mowers and the pro series are awesome machines at an affordable price tag...

I really like my Snapper Pro! I have the s150x with 21 hp Kawasaki and 48" deck. I also have a Scag Tiger cub and it has 19HP Kawasaki and 48" deck. The Snapper has been more reliable and it is smoother than the Scag. ...

I was going to say the same things, however, these others have already beat me to it !! Go with SnapperPRO and a Kawasaki engine ... you'll be glad you did.

IHusky
03-31-2009, 09:38 PM
The Scag Freedom is not a true commercial unit. Its Scag attempt to go after the homeowner. It would probably work for what your doing, but the resale would be horrible and I don't think it would hold up as well as the Snapper Pro. I never used a Snapper ZTR mower but had the commercial 21 Snapper and it was a pretty good little machine. IMO, I think you would be happier with the Snapper s150x with 19 Kaw. Good luck.

mjealey
03-31-2009, 09:49 PM
I have said it before on other topics, but I will say it again. Snapper Pro is not the first machine that comes to mind when you ask people what they would buy. When I started looking for a new Z in the middle of last summer, i would of told you you were smoking if I would buy a Snapper. The more I looked the more I liked the machine and it is built with the same material, same parts, same motors as the others. The price tag is a big plus too. I was settled on Exmark and Scag until i bought the Snapper Pro.

The dealer that I bought from I know very well and he was commenting on how his sales have been way up compared to last year. He said there is a lot of guys that run the Exmarks are refusing to pay that much and saving a couple thousand by going with Snapper Pro. I know one company that bought 6 of them and they say thay can't be any more happier. Snapper Pro should be thanking exmark for their price increase because it isn't going over very well around here. Your die hards don't care and are still going to buy the exmarks, but all the part timers or solo guys that do anywhere from 20 - 50 accounts are making the switch to Snapper Pro.

I am just trying to pass on useful information to people and hopefully anybody may find it useful. Ask questions or PM me if you want to ask more questions.

Been there and done that with the others, buy Kawasaki and forget it!!!

mjealey
03-31-2009, 09:51 PM
IMO, I think you would be happier with the Snapper s150x with 19 Kaw. Good luck.

Not trying to be picky, but the s150x comes with the 21 HP Kawasaki not the 19 Kawi

glidewells
03-31-2009, 10:02 PM
After looking at several others including the ones mentioned above, I decided to go with the Snapper. The main reasons were the price and the dealer. I used it yesterday for the first time and it seems to be a great running machine and yes it does have the 21 kawi(confusion from looking at too many :-) ) Thanks for all of the feedback.

salosenior
04-01-2009, 12:00 AM
We installed the Ramosrake small Four rake init on a 36" walk behind yesterday, great unit.

mjealey
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Glidewells, you made a very good decision. The Freedom Z is a good mower, but it is engineered toward the homeowner mowing their 3 acre yard once a week. The Snapper Pro s150x is a true commercial built mower and you can defineteley beat on it and grow into it.

One thing to look out for though!!! When I first got mine, in the first few hours I had the machine it would spit and sputter sometimes, and act like it was really starving for fuel. I got off of it one day to see what was wrong and I just happen to look at the gas tank on one side and it was completely sucked in! Called the dealer and he got me the gas caps off of a Ferris and put it on here and it fixed the problem. I know others have had the same problem and Snapper knows about it, and they just send new gas caps off of a Ferris model and it solves the problem. Snapper Pro and Ferris are about the same thing and very similar and you can interchange a good number of their parts.