PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchace a dedicated blade sharpener.

mhussey
03-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Morning guy's! I have been doing some research for a dedicated blade sharpener. I have searched this site, but really haven't found the answer I am looking for.

Also, please no posts about using angle grinders and everything else. I want a dedicated blade sharpener to make life easier.

Please note that I'm not wanting to put 1k in a dedicated blade sharpener like the Burr King. Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but not for my application. Some of the sharpeners have the specification of the length in which it will sharpen. Like up to 4", or 4" to 6". This doesn't seem to be a lot really when you start getting in to larger decks and blades. So, long story short. You guy's with a dedicated blade sharpener, what brand and model do you have? What size blades can you sharpen? I would like to hear from people with all models, RBG, Bradley, Magna Matic. Also, if you don't mind could you post the cost of each unit?

Any help on this subject would be well appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

lazer 46
03-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Magnamatic 9000. 5 years old now. Website gives you all the info you need. Best thing I ever bought for my business.

Mickhippy
03-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Only about 3" (if that) of a blade actually does any cutting!
You could theoretically sharpen an infinite length blade on a Magna!

I have a Magnamatic and use Fusion blades most of the time. Fusion blades have a very long cutting edge, but only the first couple of inches ever need sharpening.!

driver5
03-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Magna Matic..

Magna Matic

Magna Matic,

Trust me

Two Seasons
03-26-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm another Magna-matic addict.

We have the 8000 (does mulching blades too), the 1000 balancer, and the stand (saves room and it's tall).

Sammy
03-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Angle grinder. :)

driver5
03-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Angle grinder. :)

I used angle grinders for years... If you use an angle grinder.... make sure that you use the flap disk.
Also, if you use the angle grinder with flap disk, make sure to order yourself the mag 1000 to get the blades balanced.

but after using a magna matic sharpener.... I cant believe the difference it makes. Its like having a brand new blade everytime you sharpen it.

Best thing that ive bought... a Magna matic.. with a mag 1000 balancer.

mhussey
03-27-2009, 08:06 AM
I used angle grinders for years... If you use an angle grinder.... make sure that you use the flap disk.
Also, if you use the angle grinder with flap disk, make sure to order yourself the mag 1000 to get the blades balanced.

but after using a magna matic sharpener.... I cant believe the difference it makes. Its like having a brand new blade everytime you sharpen it.

Best thing that ive bought... a Magna matic.. with a mag 1000 balancer.

I appricate the advice guy's. I ordered the Mag 9000 last night. Hopefully it will be here next week. I feel all giddy inside now!

For you guy's that have these models. How long does a grinding wheel last? Are there different wheels you can use that are better? Can you buy these wheels from anywhere, or just from Magna Matic? Any advise will help greatly.

Thanks,

Matt

lazer 46
03-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Good move ordering that sharpener. I'm solo. I do about 40 customers aseason. I've had my Mag about 5 years and I still have the same wheel on the machine. Actually once it wears off one side it can be reversed and you have another whole side. The wheel that came with it works just fine. i sharpen my blades after about 12 hours. I have 3 or 4 sets for each machine. I wait till I have a couple of sets to sharpen and that's my rainy day project. But once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake. You'll have the correct angle on the blade so it will cut better for a longer period of time. I did the hand grinder route for a long time and I was never happy with the way the blades got sharpened. This takes all the guess work out of sharpening. It's an investment, but if your in it for the long haul your gonna be very pleased with this purchase.

driver5
03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
I appricate the advice guy's. I ordered the Mag 9000 last night. Hopefully it will be here next week. I feel all giddy inside now!

For you guy's that have these models. How long does a grinding wheel last? Are there different wheels you can use that are better? Can you buy these wheels from anywhere, or just from Magna Matic? Any advise will help greatly.

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Matt. go to the main screen on this website and scroll down to the sponsors section and click it, then find Magna Matic. Scroll thru the Magna Matic section for a little bit and read all the posts by people like me and you that were concerned about the Magna Matic. In there Gert talks about the grinding wheels. You will learn all that you need to know from those pages...

The grinding wheels are real soft. the reason is for lower grinding temps and faster sharpening time. When you wear that wheel out, you simply call them, or go to the Magna Matic online store and buy one for around 28 bucks or so.. But it will last for many many many sets of blades.

the Mag takes a blade or two to learn it.. So use up your junk blades for practice. Once you get the hang of it.. You will actually enjoy sharpening the blades.

Im going to order the extended work table............ You will find conversations about the work table inside the Magna Matic section that I spoke of above.

Congrats on your purchase.. Its a very nice and pricey investment... But having equipment that is built to last and having a customer service that backs you like they do is worth it.

I know im very well pleased

Now get out and cut some grass yall, get off the computer!!!

Haaaahaha.. its raining

mhussey
03-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Good move ordering that sharpener. I'm solo. I do about 40 customers aseason. I've had my Mag about 5 years and I still have the same wheel on the machine. Actually once it wears off one side it can be reversed and you have another whole side. The wheel that came with it works just fine. i sharpen my blades after about 12 hours. I have 3 or 4 sets for each machine. I wait till I have a couple of sets to sharpen and that's my rainy day project. But once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake. You'll have the correct angle on the blade so it will cut better for a longer period of time. I did the hand grinder route for a long time and I was never happy with the way the blades got sharpened. This takes all the guess work out of sharpening. It's an investment, but if your in it for the long haul your gonna be very pleased with this purchase.

I think it was a good move as well. I would say that the wheel last's for a while then.

The reason you stated you purchaced one, is the same reason I am doing the same. I'm tired of having an inconsistant edge on my blades. Like you said this piece of equipment should take all the guess work out of it, and should last me a very long time. I don't do this full time. Heck I am probably not even considered part time. However, my brother and I both have ZTR's and have many charity yards so to speak we do. You can't beat a well sharpend mower blade.

Now, it just needs to get here, like today. Lol. I am excited to recieve it.