PDA

View Full Version : Boulevard Trimming

cet
03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
How many miles of trimming do you think one person could do in a 8 hour day.

The trimming would be along the road/curb edge, both sides of the side walk and along the fence line.

Thanks for any help.

Mimowerman
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
trimming or edging?? It would be a little bit of a diffrence I think . I figure you could edge at 2-3 mph?? and wheedwack at maby 3

cet
03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
This would just be ruff trimming. Most of the grass next to the roads and sidewalk have seen so much salt that it is real bad.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't want the job.

Richard Martin
03-26-2009, 01:58 PM
This is almost impossible to guess at. Variable City.

1: When was the last time it was trimmed?

2: What kind of grass is it? For example Bahia is very tough to trim in season.

3: What kind of trimmer are you going to use?

4: How wide is the area to be trimmed?

5: Any trees or other obstructions?

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 02:04 PM
This is almost impossible to guess at. Variable City.

1: When was the last time it was trimmed?

2: What kind of grass is it? For example Bahia is very tough to trim in season.

3: What kind of trimmer are you going to use?

4: How wide is the area to be trimmed?

5: Any trees or other obstructions?

Yep, like many questions posted here it's another "question impossible"

You SHOULD know how fast YOU can trim it. No one here has any idea what you can do or what the project even looks like.

But it won't be any 2-3 miles per hour as another poster suggested unless there's next to nothing to do. normal walking speed is right around 3mph... that's not carrying anything or slowing down to hit this spot a little harder, stopping to bump the line forward, re-fueling, watching for traffic etc. etc. etc.

Even if it's very "light" trimming I don't see anyone getting more than maybe 1.5mph out of it and that'd be "iffy".

cet
03-26-2009, 02:45 PM
What I was trying to find out was walking down a sidewalk in poor grass conditions how many miles do you think 1 person could trim in a day. Just holding the trimmer parallel to the ground and walking. I was thinking .75 of a mile.

Thanks for the help. The job isn't stripping and perfect trimming an Estate Lot.

This is to be done every other week.

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 03:10 PM
What I was trying to find out was walking down a sidewalk in poor grass conditions how many miles do you think 1 person could trim in a day. Just holding the trimmer parallel to the ground and walking. I was thinking .75 of a mile.

Thanks for the help. The job isn't stripping and perfect trimming an Estate Lot.

That's probably a good WAG. Likely what I'd price it at anyway.

ed2hess
03-26-2009, 07:47 PM

.75 miles a day:confused: How far can you walk in a day? Assume you can trim about half the distance you can walk. Our guys can trim about 2 hours straight without a break in very hot conditions. This is along metro street just like you describe. Then they move to another location and go again. Keep in mind a trim guy goes around 6.5 hours of trimming a day, that is all they do except ride in truck to jobs.

Two Seasons
03-26-2009, 07:57 PM
About 1 mile every two hours is what I can do.

cet
03-26-2009, 08:43 PM
.75 MPH was my guess. I went to the bid opening today. This bid was to cut 7 places, look after the beds and then the killer part, cut 40 acres of boulevard and trim 60 miles of curb and sidewalk edges.

The low price was $50,000 and the high price was $333,900.

Needless to say I didn't get the job, not really sure if I wanted it.

Thanks for the input.