PDA

View Full Version : new guy

reveti
03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Hey everyone. New to the business. I am a professional youth soccer coach and considering starting up a lawncare business to supplement my tiny income from coaching. Only issue is I would need to leave my other regular job to do this which I need to any way bevaude it interferes with my coaching. Just a little worried about being able to get out there and very quickly picking up enough accounts to support my family. I guess you have the take risks In life though. I guess I am just wondering if it is real hard to get about 30 or 40 yards onthe books? Anyhow glad to be here. Lots of info on this forum

Ben's Landscape
03-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Good luck in the '09 season!! If you put some good money into advertising it shouldn't be a problem to get the 30 or 40 yards. I would make some flyers and get some cards and start to put them out!! If you have any questions just ask in the website or pm me!!

reveti
03-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks. I am a bit nervous but also excited. I am sure I will have questions.

TheUfan
03-26-2009, 11:24 PM
I am pretty new to this site but I got my start similiar to yours. I started with a cub cadet lawn mower (not a ZTR) that I borrowed from pops and some homeowner trimmers. I started with zero customers in the middle of January and by the end of my first season I ended with around 25 solid customers and a few flakes. It is hard work at times but very rewarding. Plus it beats any 9-5 out there. Be aggresssive don't listen to anyone who is not in the biz, buy what other LCO's buy and always treat good customers good. You can do it so get to it.

DLAWNS
03-27-2009, 12:31 AM
I can't say that you will definitely get 30-40 yards your first year out, but it is possible. Good luck this season and ask questions and read up on this site and you will learn tons of stuff.

reveti
03-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Well I am of to the races. Printing flyers Monday and getting some gas, hitting th road. Already been talkin to some folks an have 4 lined up for Monday.I will update as things go on

bengalman
03-28-2009, 12:00 AM
I hope your ready for some walking. I passed out 6000 fliers last season got 25 customers. Started last week with 6000 again you walk all day for about 4 to 6 weeks .

reveti
03-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Are you guys just leaving flyers with people you actually talk to or leaving them at every door in whatever area you are building in?

bengalman
03-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I just put them on the door. I dont bother people plus around here you need a pedlers lic. to ring door bell or talk to people . just put the flier on the door if they want to talk they will call.I had 5 calls today they are booked .

reveti
03-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks. I also wonder as a small time guy would it be better to hit fancy "rich" neighborhoods or More mid level ones. I been told the big guys tend to stay away more from the mid level and there fore there is more opportunity there for small guys

bengalman
04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I have better luck with the middle class.I do pass out in high dollar homes but they dont seem to call