PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of dog urine burn marks

Kickin' Grass '09
03-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I have been doing a lot of research trying to find different methods of repairing dog urine burn marks left in the grass. I am aware that dog urine is basically a high concentrate of fertilizer put down in one spot (at least for female dogs). I have had few customers ask what can be done to restore the burn marks?

Aside from planting new grass in these spots or giving the dog pills to help dilute their urine, I was hoping someone out there found a solution or has any helpful tips as to what can be done?

openbook
03-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I use gypsum on my lawn. It's supposed to get the salt out of the soil from all the pee.

IndyIN
03-26-2009, 05:38 PM
I have been doing a lot of research trying to find different methods of repairing dog urine burn marks left in the grass. I am aware that dog urine is basically a high concentrate of fertilizer put down in one spot (at least for female dogs). I have had few customers ask what can be done to restore the burn marks?

Aside from planting new grass in these spots or giving the dog pills to help dilute their urine, I was hoping someone out there found a solution or has any helpful tips as to what can be done?

Take this for what it's worth, but as an owner of 2 female dogs there is not much you can do. I've found that scalping the spots (with my string trimmer) promotes the quickest recovery. I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who lurks around here.

I've also been know to keep a can of seed and sand mixed up (think repairing your divots at the golf course), to put down if it's a big area.

lakesidelawns
03-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Ive been told mixing laundry detergent with beer,not sure on the ratio, works to bring grass back. Not possitive though.

HLM86
03-28-2009, 05:32 PM
How about lime?

cgaengineer
03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
The best thing you can do is to train them to pee somewhere else. If you cannot do that then add a bunch of water to the spots where they pee...you need to do this righ after you see it happen.

Bermuda even as tough as it is...dog pee is its kryptonite

Ducke
03-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Ive been told mixing laundry detergent with beer,not sure on the ratio, works to bring grass back. Not possitive though.

BEER!!!!!!! :nono:
step away for the burn spot put the detergent away and drink the beer hey drink several and then forget about the lawn and the dog. :rolleyes:

Ducke
03-28-2009, 05:54 PM

BEER!!!!!!! :nono:
step away for the burn spot put the detergent away and drink the beer hey drink several and then forget about the lawn and the dog. :rolleyes:
Lime is good as well if you or your customer can water out the spots were the dog goes everyday once the dog has done their thing it will help and then you can also rake out the area and reseed and keep the dog moving around so they done pee in the same spot everytime

kirk1701
03-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Train the dog to go to neighbors yard :laugh:

ECO Landscaping
03-28-2009, 08:47 PM
There is an additive that can be add to the dogs water dish. Take a look at Petsmart or some place like it. And if you see the dog going.....right after flush the spot with lots of water.

Good Luck

cgaengineer
03-28-2009, 09:05 PM
I know the dogie treats from Fosters don't work...don't waste your money.

xtreem3d
03-28-2009, 09:33 PM
i have 3 labs and have the same problem...i am going to be spreading lime regularly to a fairly small backyard to see if it will work

Mimowerman
03-28-2009, 10:03 PM
give the dogs the pill to turn their urine ph down a bit, and you can water the spots down after they go.... if its already yellow, hard rake it and grass seed