PDA

View Full Version : how far are you willing to travel to an account

KensLawnCare
03-26-2009, 02:49 PM
i picked up a yard today aprox 23 minutes it took me to drive there about 15 miles according to mapquest

KrayzKajun
03-26-2009, 02:50 PM
not worth it! way too far to drive!

huskres
03-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Wow, thats a long ways. Farthest from my house is 2.5 miles. I have 15 within a mile of me.

RLS24
03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I would agree that is a bit excessive. Now, on the other hand, if the its in a neighborhood that has the potential for more accounts and by the end of the season and in the beginning of next season to the point where I could spend a day or a half day in that area, then it might be worth it. if theres no potential for more business then its not worth it.

KensLawnCare
03-26-2009, 02:54 PM
i do have 5 accounts in the area looking to fill a whole days work

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 03:07 PM
i do have 5 accounts in the area looking to fill a whole days work

Just work that area hard and it'll be worth it.

Many things aren't "worth it" when you have a full schedule or nearly full schedule. But when you're trying to fill "days" on your schedule it's a whole different ball game.

Lawnut101
03-26-2009, 03:15 PM
I drive around quite a bit. Those are usually the accounts I don't compete with anybody for. So for me, it is worth it.

lilweeds
03-26-2009, 03:28 PM
All depends on the size and volume potential in that area. I drive bit over 30 min for my furthest accounts, but have several in those areas

Carolina Cuts
03-26-2009, 03:31 PM
how far are you willing to travel to an account

it depends on what she looks like... oops, I mean, what the rest of the neighborhood looks like.

Crash
03-26-2009, 03:33 PM
It depends on the money and if you have any more accounts in that general direction. If you're wasting all that time driving out there for that one single account...probably not worth it. But on the bright side, it might open up more business for you if you play your cards right. Maybe you can get a few more accounts out that way through word of mouth or nieghbors seeing your truck. Then you could make a day out of it and not have so much waste.

Dave_005
03-26-2009, 05:27 PM
if its for just the one account it would be to far to go. but i would saturate that area with flyers and pick up a days worth of work and then it's more then worth it. one of the areas i work in is a 25 min drive from my home, but i now have 2 full days work in that area so i could care less about the 25 min drive.

David Haggerty
03-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I have lawns that are 50 miles away, in different directions! I said "I'll have to charge you mileage." They were OK with that.

I was going to sub out the mowing in one town. I got estimates and my price wasn't higher than most including the mileage. So I'm still mowing it.

jsw2008
03-26-2009, 05:50 PM
I've got one that's 17 miles away. It'a an every week hourly job. I charge them from the time I leave my house until I get back into town after I'm done. The customer is knows it and is fine with it. I wouldn't take one that far away without charging for travel time.

JPsDuramax
03-26-2009, 06:17 PM
I have commercial accounts that are 35 miles one direction. We can do all six of them in a 9 hour day. By the time I get back I have driven roughly 120 miles.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Some people live close enough to keep a tight route but others have to travel. I can't really keep a tight route because my house is 15 mintues from any of my jobs. Its all interstate all the way there and once I get there i have my days work in the area. I also have been taking on some work at high end vaction types of homes that is 1 hour away but the pay is good and I have no competiters at all. In town everyone fights over accounts and lowballs to death. Sometimes working the outskirts where other LCOs won't go pays off. Sure you might have alittle more time driving but its better than hearing about how everyone else is so much cheaper than you.

Mike Blevins
03-26-2009, 06:48 PM
I sent out letters last year to customers telling them that if they had neighbors or friends that needed lawn work done please give them my number as I was looking to keep my route tight. This year to take care of every lawn will be 47 miles total for the week. Picked up a few in a row in a couple of neighborhoods.

DRBLawnBuster
03-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Yes i would try to get at least 3-5 more customer in that area before i would travel that far