PDA

View Full Version : Which Mower is the Best??

Crash
03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
We have been landscaping in the same area for over 20 years. We finally have gotten fed up with having to turn people away when they ask us if we mow lawns. So next year we are going to start a fleet of mowers. Now...here is where it gets tricky. We have always bought our equipment from the local dealer in town and they have been pretty good to us over the years, but all they offer is Cub Cadet. I've heard good and bad things from Cub owners so I guess they're not out of the mix yet. I personally am partial to Toro, I've heard great things about them and our snowblowers have been excellent to us. Now I just found out that Toro owns Exmark and you can get the Exmark for cheaper. We will probably be purchasing a 60" ZTR and a stand-on or walk-behind for the first year. I'm just not sure which route to go.

HELP PLEASE!

kaferhaus
03-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Honestly they're all about the same so far as quality goes.... same engines, same drives, minor deck differnces etc.

Exmark had a huge price increase this year and is OFF my list of potential purchases for that very reason.

We mostly run Bobcats and are well pleased with them. I hear few complaints about the commercial Cub Cadet ZTRs... having a local dealer is a big plus but I'd drive aways if the money was right.

This is a large metro area and locally the brands shake out like this so far as popularity goes.

Bobcat
Hustler
Scag
Exmark
Toro
Cub Cadet
Grass Hopper
Ferris/Walker (few, very few)

betmr
03-26-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm all TORO! Groundsmaster 328D, 325D & 7210. All my walk behinds are Toro's too.

Everything you need is at toro.com, owners manuals, service manuals, parts, the whole nine yards. most companies won't give you the time of day. Toro is really out there doing everything they can to help the industry, they're the best, always there for you!!!

Petr51488
03-26-2009, 04:22 PM
I thought exmark was more expensive then toro? Anyway i have an exmark and honda mowers. I mow much smaller yards then most of you guys out there, but exmark and honda are good in my book!

Crash
03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I thought exmark was more expensive then toro? Anyway i have an exmark and honda mowers. I mow much smaller yards then most of you guys out there, but exmark and honda are good in my book!

They might be, I'm really not sure. I just heard it through the grape vine.

ooo
03-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Go try a Wright Stander if many yards are smaller ....I love mine.

sslopok
03-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Crash,
looks like you are a neighbor. I live in Clio. Haven't seen too many people here from around mid Michigan.

Any idea what dealer you will use? I have a good one that sells scag, exmark, cub, and walker. If you need me to hook you up just ask.

Crash
03-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Crash,
looks like you are a neighbor. I live in Clio. Haven't seen too many people here from around mid Michigan.

Any idea what dealer you will use? I have a good one that sells scag, exmark, cub, and walker. If you need me to hook you up just ask.

Well thank you, I appreciate that. The dealer we've used forever is Weiss Equipment in Frankenmuth, but all they sell for mowers is Cub, so if I decide to go another route, I'll be looking for a good dealer.

David Haggerty
03-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Toro Commercial is a really good product. Their other lines are no better than the run of the mill mower.
I didn't intend to go all Toro. I've just gravitated toward Toro over the past 30 years. Mostly because it outlasted other stuff.

This year I'm looking to add a Wright Stander. I've checked Toro's Grandstand and #1 Don't care to stand behind the wheels, #2 It's too big for my application.

I'm an owner operator so I only want to have the best machines to run. Dependability, comfort, quality, it's all Toro commercial. Maybe Wright too. Even though Toro's more expensive I think they're a better value if you figure in breakdowns, longevity etc.

Everybody's making standers now, but I think Wright's still the best stander.
For something bigger I'd get a Toro ZTR with a kubota diesel. Bigger still I'd get a Toro 4100-D with a 10.5' deck.

ramcat
03-28-2009, 12:57 AM
john deere's got the 800 series figured out and they should be great mowers plus you can't beat the 7-iron deck and the 'green fleet' pricing(=discount when you buy multiple machines such as a 60 inch zero turn and walk behind) plus great dealer network and support.

jean4750
03-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Hello everyone... I have a question about my Scag Turf Tiger. My seat seems to bottom out over choppy ground and just kills my back after a few hours. Is there any kit or additional springs or dampers that can be placed over the existing springs to add a little more resistance to the hard ride??? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Nick

MJB
03-28-2009, 01:49 AM
Well thank you, I appreciate that. The dealer we've used forever is Weiss Equipment in Frankenmuth, but all they sell for mowers is Cub, so if I decide to go another route, I'll be looking for a good dealer.

If you get good service from that dealer go Cub Tank with the Select Cut 60" deck or 72" . Those mowers produce a clean cut, and stripe well also. I use Exmark and prefer them to Hustler, Grasshopper, Walker, etc but it really depends on what size lawns you are taking on. You can take a 60" ZTR and mulch the small lawns with the Exmark or Cub and do a great job. You can also get some with baggers, and have some for side discharging. I like to have them set up to bag, mulch or side discharge. Thus an advantage of owning a small fleet. Demo that Cub Tank Select Cut, before jumping the gun, you might be surprised at the new ones. Otherwise Exmarks are tough and last as well or better than most.

scagdude
03-28-2009, 02:04 AM
at my dealer they sell scag, toro, and honda as far as mowers go. my dealer has been really awesome to me. i own a scag and lesco and have demo a toro as well and i have got to say the scag was by far the best.

in my area here is the rank of mowers:

scag
toro
exmark
lesco
wright
john deere
hustler

thats about all you see, no walker at all or grasshopper or ferris.

look into a scag turf tiger or tiger cat for a ztr and then the floating deck walkbehind or a wright stander if you want a stand on unit.
Cub is ok but i would stay away from it if you have another dealer because there are some WAYYY better machines than cub out there.

GracesLandscaping
03-28-2009, 03:10 AM
that cub will outdo the toro all day long! hell go buy a murray and it will probably outdo the toro!!!!!!

Richard Martin
03-28-2009, 07:40 AM
The truth is there is no best mower. Everybody has different requirements from a machine and you need to sit down and figure out what your's are. For example:

Are you able to do any of the mechanical work on the machines in house? If not then a really good dealer service department is a must.

Are you only going to use the mower for mowing? I use mine for other things like pulling areators, drag mats and sometimes even a vehicle or two. The Dixie Chopper is the leader in this catagory, hands down, thanks to it far superior hydro system.

Maybe you're looking for a mower that can be multipurpose. Walker has a mower that is incredibly versatile. It's a dedicated bagger. It's a side discharge. It has tons of attachments like a turbine blower that is wicked bad to the bone. They're also a little pricey but leave a manicured cut that is matched by none.

Look at what is available in your area and find something that meets your requirements.

lifetree
03-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Toro Commercial is a really good product. Their other lines are no better than the run of the mill mower.
I didn't intend to go all Toro. I've just gravitated toward Toro over the past 30 years. Mostly because it outlasted other stuff. ...

I personally prefer a tunnel deck to a deep deck, so it depends on what your needs are !! I would choose Toro over Exmark for the ZTR if that's the only option ... for the WB I would recommend the Quick series mowers with a tunnel deck.

dishboy
03-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I personally prefer a tunnel deck to a deep deck, so it depends on what your needs are !! I would choose Toro over Exmark for the ZTR if that's the only option ... for the WB I would recommend the Quick series mowers with a tunnel deck.

You must not mulch. A tunnel design is a home for wet grass to collect, especially if the tunnel is outside the circumference of the blade circle. This is a bad design for keeping a clean deck in wet or lush conditions.

David Haggerty
03-28-2009, 11:06 AM
You must not mulch. A tunnel design is a home for wet grass to collect, especially if the tunnel is outside the circumference of the blade circle. This is a bad design for keeping a clean deck in wet or lush conditions.

I have the opposite opinion. A tunnel deck is the only way to mow wet lush grass. It clumps less. A tunnel deck will cut grass that would choke a deck that throws the clippings from blade to blade to blade. Sure those decks will cut clippings finer, but will handle less volume.
A tunnel deck stays perfectly clean if you're mowing in the pouring rain. With no clumps!

JeffNY
03-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Dodge, Chevy, or Ford?

Im just sayin.

What made the deal with us was dealer support, and how close the dealer was. Closest dealer here is Grasshopper, but I don't like the people. So I went to the next one, they sold Exmark, offered first priority to commercial customers, and demos. So I went with them.

I would 100% buy another one.

Crash
03-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Well...I'm still not 100% decided. But thanks for your input guys. I'm actually leaning towards going with the Cub now just because I know the dealer so well and they're right in town. I actually am close friends with two people that work there so it would be kinda stupid I guess not to go there. Plus we have bought two skid's, a tractor and multiple snow blowers from them so they must be doing something right. I am a certified technician so I'm not worried about the mechanical aspect (unless maybe it's a warranty issue) but it's still nice to go to a dealer you can trust and you enjoy working with, and it supports the city I live in and it's just good all around to keep business in the city you work. Unless I here something terrible about the Cub Tank, that's probably the direction I'll go. I do wish they made a stander too, oh well, maybe in the future they will.

So any input on the Cub Tank, good or bad, would be appreciated at this point I guess.

Thanks again guys, you helped out alot! :)

lawnpro724
03-28-2009, 04:18 PM
that cub will outdo the toro all day long! hell go buy a murray and it will probably outdo the toro!!!!!!

Go smoke some more.:hammerhead:

brianslawncare
03-28-2009, 05:10 PM
i have been in the mowing/landscaping business for 15yrs. i have two scags, one turf tiger 27 kawi liquid cooled 60 and one 17 kawi 48 inch air cooled. last year i bought a exmark 36 /15 kawi walkbehind and this year i bought a exmark 23 kawi 60 walkbehind. both companies are great mowing machine with little down time for used equiptment. with the scags i had some minor issues and i emailed scag, and within two days i was on the phone with tech support. they helped me out with the problems, insted of taking the machine to the dealer that would have it for a week. i emailed scag for two parts/owners manuals and recieved them in one week free!!!! i emailed exmard for the two manuals for my walkbehinds over a month ago and no answer!!!! to me scag seems better to deal and help you with issues!!!!