PDA

View Full Version : Small Landscape Budgets or do Associations have no idea?

RockSolidLLC
03-26-2009, 04:45 PM
I just bid a hotel that needs 85 yards of mulch, the usual cleanups, irrigation, the whole nine for a seasonal landscape contract. It sits on 38,000 sq ft of grass. I gave my bid around $30000 with fert and tree care for 300 trees and shrubs. They have a bid and budget for $6000. How can guys charge this little? It dosent even cover cost@?! what are your thoughts?

mattfromNY
03-26-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm at around 2K my cost on the mulch delivered. That doesnt leave much for installing it, buying fert., mowing, labor, trimming.... WOW.
My guess is they have no clue as to the costs involved.

nobagger
03-26-2009, 05:48 PM
I ran into this a month or so ago. The manager was new to the hotel and apparently new to business in general. He had no clue what things cost to get done. Ya got to remember, "most" of these manager's are of the "white collar" type worker and half of them think its a privilege for us just to bid.

FourTrees
03-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I run into this at times. They say hey provide a bid for all these services.

A lot of the time what they are really saying is how much will you give us fro least cost. Take a look at property and you will easily see that all these items have not been maintained at this high quality.

- 83 yards of bark = 12 yards to put a fresh coat thinly over top.

- Fert minimal rate just to say it was done.

- Fert and water on late and off early to cut number of cuts.

- Trees have probably never really been trimmed a few low limbs here and there.

- Bed weeding throw in some killer and preen couple of time. No actual weed care.

That is really what these types are looking for. We are often bid out of jobs simple for bidding on the whole job as requested not what company really wants to pay for.

Mahoney3223
04-06-2009, 01:31 AM
laugh profusely at him...then punch him in the eye

LB1234
04-06-2009, 09:24 AM
I've learned my lesson to ask for some type of bid sheet or list of services required. Those that just claim they need a price for maintenance and when asked what those requirements are and have no clue seem to have no budget whatsoever OR no clue what it costs to actually have this stuff performed.

IMHO, steer clear b/c usually a sign they are looking for price first and quality last.