PDA

View Full Version : employee or not to employee

Weekly Weeder
03-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I have been awarded my first commercial job after trying for several years.And it was followed by another one.Problem is they both have a ton of trimming and I could stand some help,but only about 10 hours a week over a 2 day period.If I could find someone that wanted the extra income and would be willing to do the work, do I need workers comp?If not( if so) can I deduct the amount payed to said employee on my taxes?
I have been p/t solo with 18-20 res. accounts for five years.I have been insured and had a registered (licensed) business name since day one.The employee thing is giving me a headache.Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

CLARK LAWN
03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
yes you will need workers comp plus you will have to withhold taxes and pay them and your match every quarter, you will also have to pay into the unemployment fund.

Littleriver1
03-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Some states do not require worker comp untill you employee 3 or more people. Check with your state. You can probably do that on line. Try it you'll like have a helper.

grandview (2006)
03-26-2009, 07:31 PM
You maybe able to do causal labor. Meaning that you can pay someone upto 600.00 a yr. But you need to check with a bookkeeper or accountant

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=101033,00.html

Weekly Weeder
03-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info.I will check-out your suggestions

bohiaa
03-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Some states do not require worker comp untill you employee 3 or more people. Check with your state. You can probably do that on line. Try it you'll like have a helper.

TX is 5......