PDA

View Full Version : Landscaper reward

irrigation lemieux
03-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Do you guy give a kind of reward or else for landscaper who give you a lighting job.

Is there a original way to treat people who send good prospect or sign jobs.

JoeyD
03-26-2009, 05:19 PM
I know lots of guys who offer finders fees or percentages for refered projects........

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-26-2009, 05:34 PM
When I started out, I instituted a finders fee program. I would pay anyone who referred me to a signed job 5% of the Gross Sale as their fee. I did this for just over a year until the 'troubles' started to show up. One contractor in particular contacted me some months after I had finished a job asking where his finders fee was. I was a bit shocked because as far as I was aware, I had 'won' the job on a referral from another client. This contractor insisted that it was he who had got me the job and demanded I pay him over $1K. I refused and he started to bad-mouth me around the community.

Since then, I have found that the best contractors, design pros, etc generally do not engage in such programs. It is much better to simply treat your colleagues with respect and refer them for their quality work than it is to do so expecting some form of financial reward. As soon as money gets in the middle, relationship have a way of turning sour.

I would stay away from such schemes. Instead, form an alliance with complimentary trades who do the same calibre of work that you do. You will be amazed how networks like this can strengthen over time.

irrigation lemieux
03-26-2009, 06:14 PM
that is true James,thank for all you comments.

Pro-Scapes
03-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Depends on the situation.

I do feel rewarding someone a refferal incentive with not in general make them go out and push for you. I have given generous refferal bonuses in the past for some work.

Often times a reciprocal relationship works best. We reffer certain people and they in turn reffer us. I do still offer a finders fee to some guys because it is usually job I would not otherwise be getting if it wasnt for them. A finders fee doesnt have to be a monetary compensation. We had a good landscaper send us 3 really nice jobs this year. In turn we installed a mid sized system at his house for a song.

Everyone is diff. Some will expect a fee. Some will want you as the sub... some will want some help on thier own stuff.