PDA

View Full Version : Br400 died/bought a br600 dead too

fourbybud
03-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey guys, last week my old BR400 died so I bought a BR600. Picked it up Saturday, died on Sunday. Took in for repair on Monday. Picked up and it died Tueday evening(dealer adjusted carb). Dropped back off on Wednesday. Dealer ran all day and finally got it to act up, so they put a new coil in it. Tonight I get home and it still doing the thing, only this time I had my wife video tape it dying on my cell phone.
What shoul I do now?:confused:

MajesticUSA
03-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Well that sucks, I'm in the process of deciding on a new blower. I had it down to the Echo-755 and Shindaiwa-802 but I posted thread to see peoples opinion on the two and got a few responses saying get the stihl BR600. Hearing your story doesn't help sway my opinion but hopefully its a fluke problem. Hey if I bought a 500$ blower and it didn't work mint from day one I'd return it for another one, never let em work on a brand new machine. If I were you I'd tell em you want an exchange for a new one or your money back (if it's within 30days of course). For that money you want a fresh start with a perfect machine not one that they tinkered around with to get running ok.

chrissmart123
03-26-2009, 09:10 PM
just go REDMAX you won't be sorry

Sammy
03-26-2009, 09:11 PM
I think that Stihl has a 30 day return for any reason.

yeayea14
03-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Buy a redmax, you'll love it!!!

P.Services
03-26-2009, 09:43 PM
stihl said the br600 burns 28% less fuel....... because it only runs 72% of the time if your a lucky sob

tamadrummer
03-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Sounds just like my blower when I got it. Have them look at the welch plugs in the carb. My dealer spent hours getting it to work and never could. They sent it to Stihl in Orlando, and they replaced the carb with one that has plugs with a glue that won't disolve with E-10 fuel.

sslopok
03-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Don't tell them to look at anything. Tell them you want a new one!

lawnman_scott
03-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Don't tell them to look at anything. Tell them you want a new one!
Exactly. If they are worth anything they will give you one. And if they arent then you will know to never ever go there again for anything.

topsites
03-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah well I think it could be that you got a fuel problem, and maybe not,
but I'm half thinking you're running straight fuel in them, so I'd be all for checking that out
because if that is your problem you could be very SOL

So dump out whatever crap is in that can you've been using and start over with some
premium 93 octane and a little bottle of pure Stihl mix oil, at least then you know that's not it.

fourbybud
03-26-2009, 10:24 PM
If it is a fuel problem it is not my problem. I haven't had to add any fuel yet. Its still full of whatever they put in it.
Going in tomorrow to get a new one or my money back.

TheLawnRangerLLC
03-26-2009, 10:32 PM
I have the 600 and it is amazing...I have had no problems with it. Like everything, there is going to be some bad ones here and there...do like topsite said, and try some 93 with Stihl synthetic oil (the white bottle) and eliminate the fuel idea being the problem. It is a great machine, stick with stihl and you wont be sorry.

topsites
03-26-2009, 11:06 PM
If it is a fuel problem it is not my problem. I haven't had to add any fuel yet. Its still full of whatever they put in it.
Going in tomorrow to get a new one or my money back.

Oh, good.

Sorry about that, I was just worried because 2 blowers in a row... :cry:

joshco84
03-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Go buy a 755 echo and throw that stihl away, problem solved.

Or just go back and make them give you a new one.

Scagguy
03-27-2009, 01:16 AM
All we run are BR 600's They have a ton of hours on them and never once had a problem. But I can tell you this....if I bought another new BR 600 tomorrow and failed in the field the next day, the dealer would be giving me a new one. Fixing it would not be an option.

lawnboy2068
03-27-2009, 08:24 AM
just go REDMAX you won't be sorry

Are you serious?

Maybe old Redmax but certainly not the new Redmax. We have 4 new within 1 year, 8001 and 7001 series blowers and they are the biggest pieces of junk going. They never start, take forever to be warmed up, and we are constantly having problems with them. All of them are hanger queens.
When they DO run, they are great, especially the 8001, but the baggage that goes with them is ridiculous.

We just bought an Echo 755 and it is a good blower. Not as powerful as a 8001 more like a 7001 but without the issues. We are waiting to see the Shindawa's when they come out. And everyone knows that Shindawa and Echo are one now. Both use the same Echo engineering.

James

WH401
03-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I know there are a lot of people on here that have Stihl BR's and love them. I myself have a 600 and wouldn't buy another blower. It runs great and will move more leaves than any normal person would need. That said, every manufacturer has a dud now and then. It may just be a simple fix or it might be a lemon, who knows. All I know is that out of most of these blower discussions, the BR's are usually the most recommended blower. That in itself says enough right there.

genesis215
03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Sorry to hear about that. Insist that they exchange it for a new one, or your money back. That is not standard performance for a BR 600. Mine is 1 1/2 years old and still runs like new on first pull. There are a few bugged ones out there, and you must have gotten one. Once they give you a good one, you shouldn't have any problems at all, and you will be SOOO happy with it.

As for all the responses "get a RedMax" "get an Echo "get a Shindaiwa", they all have their bugged machines too, as the one guy that had big problems with his RedMax's shows. It's not out of the question for any brand. It's just that the dealer MUST swap your blower for a different one that runs perfectly. These blowers are very reliable in general, but with a few lemons mixed in.

Allens LawnCare
03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Hey guys, last week my old BR400 died so I bought a BR600. Picked it up Saturday, died on Sunday. Took in for repair on Monday. Picked up and it died Tueday evening(dealer adjusted carb). Dropped back off on Wednesday. Dealer ran all day and finally got it to act up, so they put a new coil in it. Tonight I get home and it still doing the thing, only this time I had my wife video tape it dying on my cell phone.
What shoul I do now?:confused:

Buy an Echo for the $50-$75 more you can get the 755....My buddy has one and he had issues day one. two problems they found....changed the coil and the fuel line is to long from the factory. The line was too long so it ran with a full tank but at 3/4 it would die out

clif10
03-27-2009, 11:16 AM
i had a problem with a new stihl BG-85 handheld, took it to dealer and they made an adjustment to the carb and it ran fine for a day or so then acted up again, this time they just put a new carb on and so-far so good. i guess every once in a while a bad apple comes out. im a redmax fan but wasnt thrilled about their handhelds so i went with stihl. if i laid down real money for the backpack and it gave me troubles i would demand a new unit. im not crazy about the looks of the new stihl blowers imo

genesis215
03-27-2009, 11:35 AM
If you get a new blower, ONLY get the Shindaiwa EB802. Nothing else, especially not the Echo 755. Nowhere near the power of the 802.

Jason Rose
03-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I have to agree with those mentioning the fuel issues. If you are using the correct mix, no problem there, but the fuel tank must be FULL. The BR600's are notorious for "running out" of fuel at anything less than 1/2 a tank. Drives me nuts. My stihl dealer tells me they don't have a problem, yet mine does, and most I read about on here do too.

I don't think your answer is to buy a different brand... I think with the way 2 strokes have gone, thanks to the EPA, you are better off with the 4 mix Stihl.

Happy Frog
03-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Man, I'm sorry to read about your problems with the BR-600... I really am.

That being said, here is what cracks me up: :laugh:

I have been "away" from this forum for almost 6 months and people are "stihl" debating about the power and problems of the BR-600. :dizzy:

For our own sake, do a little research before buying your next blower. :hammerhead:

I did and just got a new in-box Shindaiwa EB-802RT for $449.00 at Russo Power Equipment :cool2:

Why the EB-802RT and not another brand or model?

- Biggest engine on the market (after the Shindaiwa EB-8520)
- Most powerful engine (after the Kawasaki KBR750)
- Best efficiency index (after the Shindaiwa EB-8520)
- Most comfortable to carry
- 2 stroke engine maintenance simplicity and reliability

Why not the EB-8520?

- C4 engine (read note below)
- 2.7 lbs heavier than the EB-802 with full tank

Why not the BR-600?

- Limited fuel capacity
- As noisy at 50 feet as all the other blowers: Redmax is the only one noisier with a 77 dB(A) rating vs. 75 dB(A) for the BR-600
- Only 1.3 lbs lighter than EB-802 with same fuel as BR-600 with full tank
- problems with 10% Ethanol gas

Why not a C4 engine?

Since they are burning a gas/oil mix, C4 engines have a tendency to build up carbon on the valves resulting in power loss and engine damage if the build up is not removed often and valves adjusted periodically.
The quality of oil used in the mix has a direct impact on the amount of carbon build up and any non-synthetic oil will accelerate the carbon build up and increase the risk of engine damage.
To my knowledge, Amsoil users have not had carbon build up related engine problems and this can be attributed to the quality of the oil as well as the oil mix ratio (100:1 to 80:1).
Due to tight valves tolerances, these engines get easily damaged when over heating (bad oil quality, clogged air intake, etc...)
Adjusting the valves without removing the carbon build up will result is power loss and make the engine harder to start.

I will post an updated Blower chart so you can compare them all at once :drinkup:

bigslick7878
03-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Man, I'm sorry to read about your problems with the BR-600... I really am.

That being said, here is what cracks me up: :laugh:

I have been "away" from this forum for almost 6 months and people are "stihl" debating about the power and problems of the BR-600. :dizzy:

For our own sake, do a little research before buying your next blower. :hammerhead:

I did and just got a new in-box Shindaiwa EB-802RT for $449.00 at Russo Power Equipment :cool2:

Why the EB-802RT and not another brand or model?

- Biggest engine on the market (after the Shindaiwa EB-8520)
- Most powerful engine (after the Kawasaki KBR750)
- Best efficiency index (after the Shindaiwa EB-8520)
- Most comfortable to carry
- 2 stroke engine maintenance simplicity and reliability

Why not the EB-8520?

- 2.7 lbs heavier than the EB-802 with full tank

Why not the BR-600?

- Limited fuel capacity
- As noisy at 50 feet as all the other blowers: Redmax is the only one noisier with a 77 dB(A) rating vs. 75 dB(A) for the BR-600
- Only 1.3 lbs lighter than EB-802 with same fuel as BR-600 with full tank
- problems with 10% Ethanol gas

Why not a C4 engine?

Since they are burning a gas/oil mix, C4 engines have a tendency to build up carbon on the valves resulting in power loss and engine damage if the build up is not removed often and valves adjusted periodically.
The quality of oil used in the mix has a direct impact on the amount of carbon build up and any non-synthetic oil will accelerate the carbon build up and increase the risk of engine damage.
To my knowledge, Amsoil users have not had carbon build up related engine problems and this can be attributed to the quality of the oil as well as the oil mix ratio (100:1 to 80:1).
Due to tight valves tolerances, these engines get easily damaged when over heating (bad oil quality, clogged air intake, etc...)
Adjusting the valves without removing the carbon build up will result is power loss and make the engine harder to start.

I will post an updated Blower chart so you can compare them all at once :drinkup:

Does the Shindaiwa offer any of the extra attatchments like Stihl does?

I looked on their site and I couldnt find any.

I am pretty much sold on the Shindaiwa after your post,because I am worried about maintenance with the C4 engines.

Happy Frog
03-27-2009, 04:32 PM
The EB-802 came with two end tubes: a long one (standard) and a short one with a smaller opening (like a forcing cone) which accelerate the output air speed.
I don't think Shindaiwa offers other attachments but I can be wrong.

What kind of attachment were you looking for?

bigslick7878
03-27-2009, 04:36 PM
The EB-802 came with two end tubes: a long one (standard) and a short one with a smaller opening (like a forcing cone) which accelerate the output air speed.
I don't think Shindaiwa offers other attachments but I can be wrong.

What kind of attachment were you looking for?

Well the stihl has a gutter attatchment that looks like it could come in real handy,but Im guessing I could modify that to fit on the Shindaiwa if need be.

I have several houses that literally have trees right next to the house and need cleaning constantly,and it is a real pain to do it the "old fashioned" way.

lawnpro724
03-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Spoke with my dealer and he sells both Stihl and Echo and he told me to stay with Echo. He said he has had a bunch of problems with his Stihl line and never has had much of a problem with Echo products. My experience has been very good with Echo they are very reliable and will last a very long time. My Echo blowers have outlasted my Redmax blowers and I will take reliable and durable equipment over a little more power any day.

Happy Frog
03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Well the stihl has a gutter attatchment that looks like it could come in real handy,but Im guessing I could modify that to fit on the Shindaiwa if need be.

I have several houses that literally have trees right next to the house and need cleaning constantly,and it is a real pain to do it the "old fashioned" way.

I have the Echo gutter attachment and I think that a piece of PVC tubing with two 90 degrees elbows would do just as fine of a job for much less money...

fourbybud
03-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Went back to the dealer yesterday and first thing he said was "did it do it again?" I answered yes and the next thing he said was "I am going to get you into a different machince" . I picked up a brand new one at luch and am going to give it a try today:)

Runner
03-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Well, I hope this one does better. One other thing,...and I know - as crazy as this sounds; If this new one startts to act up, loosen the gas cap and retig
hten. People are AMAZED (like I was when i discovered it) at how often these things don't vent right and that ends up being the culprit. It is like a complete fuel loss.

KGR landscapeing
03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Well, I hope this one does better. One other thing,...and I know - as crazy as this sounds; If this new one startts to act up, loosen the gas cap and retig
hten. People are AMAZED (like I was when i discovered it) at how often these things don't vent right and that ends up being the culprit. It is like a complete fuel loss.

o the stihl 4 mix caps r such a pain sometimes. its like a crap shoot if its gonna go on right or stay on. you could count on at least once a week going back to the rack of trimmers to find one turnd up side down will all of its gas pourd all over everything.

Happy Frog
03-28-2009, 01:52 PM
What AMAZES me is how much people are in denial about the BR-600... ;)

This is the blower with by far the more problems on the market today and when someone asks what to buy, a bunch of people always chime in and say: Don't get anything but the BR-600! :laugh:

A quick search gives tons of treads about problems with this blower: engine blown up, valves guides bent, fuel tank not venting, loss of power, carbon build up on the valves, and the list goes on and on and on...

Most of the time, the dealer can't fix the problem and end up replacing the engine, the carb or the complete blower just for the user to find out that the new one also has some issues... :hammerhead:

jlawnman
03-28-2009, 04:32 PM
I've had a br 600 for about 4 years now. The only thing I've had to do to it was replace the fuel line last summer. I run 89 octane w/ 3 oz per gallon cheap wally world brand 2 cycle mix. (It's like 8 bucks for a gallon!) No problems.