PDA

View Full Version : walker mower questions

chrissmart123
03-26-2009, 08:04 PM
hey guys i just got my first walker the other day and i have a few questions.. its a 2002 26efi engine, the hour meeter reads 1674 and it blinks and says "1674...1674....lube...lube..1974"..and so on what does this mean???? Also should the exhaust be glowing red and night? the idle is not smooth and some time has trouble getting up to full throttle. i know my questions my sound silly but i just spent some nice pocket change on it and am a little worried, please help..thanks

2stroke
03-26-2009, 08:43 PM
OUCH.. i would not use the machine. go directly to the dealer. sounds as if there is a computer code. the exhaust glowing is bad news..

gene gls
03-26-2009, 08:45 PM
hey guys i just got my first walker the other day and i have a few questions.. its a 2002 26efi engine, the hour meeter reads 1674 and it blinks and says "1674...1674....lube...lube..1974"..and so on what does this mean???? Also should the exhaust be glowing red and night? the idle is not smooth and some time has trouble getting up to full throttle. i know my questions my sound silly but i just spent some nice pocket change on it and am a little worried, please help..thanks

It needs to go to a dealer for service. The exuast should not be glowing. The computer tells you when its time service by blinking.

Jason'sLawnCare
03-26-2009, 08:48 PM
I would get the glowing checked out by a dealer but the code on the hour meter is just reminding you to grease the grease points. It goes off every 25 hours. It starts one hour before goes on for the 25th hour interval and stays on an hour after wards. If you have the manual to the machine it will explain it more thoroughly.

chrissmart123
03-26-2009, 08:52 PM
thanks a bunch guys im new to the walker scene

cantoo
03-26-2009, 09:02 PM
My 20 hp GHS used to glow when we collected leaves in the fall at night. Switched to synthetic oil and changed air filter more often, no more glowing. Do you notice the glowing more when you are working it hard?

chrissmart123
03-26-2009, 11:04 PM
My 20 hp GHS used to glow when we collected leaves in the fall at night. Switched to synthetic oil and changed air filter more often, no more glowing. Do you notice the glowing more when you are working it hard?

no i just had it at half throttle...and when i put my hand up to the muffler i feel the exhaust comming out from 2 different spots

cantoo
03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Sounds like you need a new muffler too. Might be pinched or plugged somewhere. Glowing muffler is a sign of the engine being hot. Does it run smooth?

chrissmart123
03-30-2009, 10:15 AM
yes it runs real smooth. i took it up to my dealer and they think it was running to lean..hopefilly it won't be to much $$$

Jason Rose
03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Read the manual.

Your hour meter is supposed to flash "lube" every 25 to 50 hours (don't recall which).

Your engine WILL run hotter if you only run it at 1/2 throttle. Air cooled engines are designed to only be ran at full throttle so they cool themselves properly.

Oh, and there's not a damn thing wrong with your engine.

grassaholic
03-30-2009, 12:01 PM
The hour meter telling you to change the oil is normal. It is preprogrammed to tell you that every 100 hrs. As far as the exhaust "glowing", that is normal as long as it is only the header pipes coming out of the engine that are glowing. I've noticed the header pipes glowing on all of my Walkers at one time or another. The first time I ever saw it was when I was finishing up a leaf cleanup in the fall and it got dark on me. If the muffler itself is actually glowing then I'd say you've got a problem.

Greenleaf Lawns
03-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Regardless I would say if your dealer is honest a once over by them is not a bad idea.

terrypiper
03-30-2009, 08:43 PM

your hour meter will flash every 25 hours and say lube that means you need to grease all the zerks and trust me there are tons of them. i have had my walker for 4 years now and just found 2 that i didnt know were there. i would get an owners manual if i were you. now at every 100 hours it will flash oil guess what that means? yes you need to change the oil and filter

terrypiper
03-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Read the manual.

Your hour meter is supposed to flash "lube" every 25 to 50 hours (don't recall which).

Your engine WILL run hotter if you only run it at 1/2 throttle. Air cooled engines are designed to only be ran at full throttle so they cool themselves properly.

Oh, and there's not a damn thing wrong with your engine.

is all your snow gone yet lol, still too soggy here to start mowing but the people are complaining that im not there go figure

chrissmart123
03-31-2009, 12:16 AM
THANKS, to all you who have responded. all of your input had helped greatly, i guess i was a little worried considering i have just dropped close to 4k on the mower and i don't know these things inside and out yet(still getting used to the controls). my dealer still hasn't had time to look at it yet but know i'll know if hes trying to take advantage of my age(19) and maybe he thinks I'm clueless and take me for a loop..anyway i still think its good to have it checked out and make sure it running at its best for the season to come..and as for the snow terrypiper its pretty much gone here..still some soggy spots though.. once again THANK YOU ALL!!.... sincerely Chris Smart

Jason Rose
03-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Assuming your machine did not come with service/owners manulas. Go to Walker.com and find yours and print them out. All you need is the serial number off of your machine.

chrissmart123
03-31-2009, 11:32 AM
i contacted the previous owner and he is shipping them. i forgout to get them when i picked up the mower.

chrissmart123
04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
hello again i called my dealer and they said it has a broken fly wheel key. and now they have to pull the whole moter.. and its gonna cost a lot of $$$$ i think. im just asking if this is a real problem are is this B.S.?

Jason Rose
04-01-2009, 06:32 PM
does it run? If so, then the flywheel key isn't "broken"...

What problem is the engine having??

To replace a flywheel key on a walker, yes, the engine must be pulled out, but it's not that big of a job, 1/2 an hour labor at the MOST. Replacing a flywheel key is a 5 minute job and 10 cents in materials, then another 30 minutes to reinstall the engine. A decent shop would charge you for probably 1.5 hours of shop time. Any good redneck would fix it in his own garage, lol.

Slow_Poke09
04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Off the top of my head, here are some things that I have seen cause a muffler to glow when it probably shouldn't:
1. Old muffler with thinning/rusting metal.
2. Carb too lean. Causes the engine to run hot and without enough lubrication in the combustion chamber. If you are running lean the spark plug will be white.
3. Carb adjusted so rich that you get backfires. Explosions in the muffler will make it hot. If this is the case your spark plug will look black and foul.
4. Wrong spark plug and/or wrong gap. I don't know why this is, but I suppose it could be related to incomplete combustion.

An easy thing to try it to get out the manual and adjust the carburetor jet to factory. It should be easy to do, just screw it in all the way, then back out as much as the book says. I guess it depends how comfortable you are with working on your equipment though.

vinny69
04-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Thats right ,always run at full throttle

Jason Rose
04-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Slow Poke09

It's an EFI engine... There's no carburator adjustments that can be made. Plus, any engine made in the last 15 or so years has no adjustments on them anyway.

chrissmart123
04-01-2009, 10:33 PM
the dealer said that was going to be 3 hours in labor @ $78 an hour and the part is $2.75... ya the motor runs perfectly fine the only bad thing was that the muffler glowed at night, i only noticed it when i was getting ready to shut it off and it had been running at half throttle for 5-10 min... should i call them out of the 3hr of labor? and for the record i would do it myself but im busy with school and walkers are new to me also i didnt know what the problem was in the first place.

Jason Rose
04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
why do they think the flywheel key is sheared?

Sheared flywheel key symptoms:
The symptoms of a sheared flywheel key range widely from a barely noticeable misfire to a no-start condition. In between these extremes the engine may misfire noticeably, run rough, backfire, be difficult to restart hot, or lack power. Advanced timing can cause engine overheating. A muffler glowing cherry red probably indicates ******ed timing. These variations depend on just how far the flywheel has spun out of time and in which direction. The key may have only partially sheared, or the flywheel may have advanced a half a revolution. If the sparks occurs during the compression stroke, the engine will backfire, and the crankshaft will reverse direction violently. If the operator was pulling the recoil starter, the starter rope would be pulled back sharply, along with the operator's arm. This is a common and painful occurrence, and a sure sign of a sheared flywheel key.

I'd want to verify that the "glowing red" condition is really happening all the time, or if that was just one case that you had from running it at 1/2 throttle too long and it being dark so you could see it.

chrissmart123
04-01-2009, 10:51 PM
you think possibly it could have been a tome time thing? that was the first time i noticed it but it was also the longest time id let it idle half way.. well even if its not the key i still wanted to get it looked over before the season considering it is a used mower ya know. JASON ROSE THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!

Slow_Poke09
04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Sorry abouit the bad advice. I don't actually own any engines built in the last 15 years so I guess I'm not that up to date. The timing thing makes good sense.

Decoste76
05-08-2010, 04:17 PM
whats this shop called that sells the walkers and where is it located?

FootHills Landscape
04-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Since its EFI and not running smooth you have a fuel injection problem. Probly need new injectors. The injectors are giving it to much fuel so its burning way hotter and since its a v-twin you have about 4 times as much exhaust going through the muffler and alot hotter so it is making it heat up and glow.

dieselman29200
04-28-2013, 02:18 PM
I would change the fuel filter. its an item that gets overlooked all the time. Also make sure your cooling fins are clear from any debris. If their clogged up it will make hot spots on you cylinders and increase wear.