PDA

View Full Version : How much do I pitch the deck?

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
03-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Hey guys,

Last year my bob-cat zero turn did not stripe the greatest, so this year i wanted to pitch the deck foward a little. I was wondering how far I should go 1/8 in 1/4 in or what? Also any advise for striping with the bob-cat?

Thanks
Ryan

ALC-GregH
03-26-2009, 10:40 PM
being a 52in cut, I wouldn't go more then 1/4in measured front to back on the blade.

GracesLandscaping
03-26-2009, 10:41 PM
thats probably going to mess with your cut.... buy a stripe kit or make one... you can make one for probably nothing if you have any junk laying around at all.... i wouldn't mess with that pitching the deck.... but if you did i would lower the rear of it not the front. lowering the front will turn the grass over before the blades get to it which might not give you an even cut...

topsites
03-26-2009, 10:56 PM
I can not tell you, what will work best for you, because it varies from one operator and one mower to the next.
So try various settings, see which one works the best, what I would do.

Take any one setting, then go out for the day.
You should know pretty much right away if it's better, worse, or about the same, but run it all day on a one setting
so that you know for sure, then cross that one off the list and maybe give it a score 1-10, now you know that, and next!
Keep doing that until you hit the sweet spot, and maybe I should call it the "best case scenario."

Also don't be afraid of trying the other pitch, the back lower than the front, that's what I have
but do watch out for sideways pitch as you change settings :p

Oh, I use 1/4" on my 48" but the changes need to come 1/8" at a time if possible...
Oddly enough my 60" does best with a perfectly flat deck, see it varies.

Peace

ALC-GregH
03-26-2009, 11:27 PM
topsites, are you smoking something? The blades should NEVER be lower on the back then the front. Having the deck pitched will yield a better cut, more efficient and easier on the engine.
52in or less shouldn't have more then a 1/4in pitch. 52 and above, no more then a 1/2in.

joshco84
03-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I pitch everything 1/8-1/4 higher in the rear. they cut better and stripe better.

I have set a LOT of decks, and trust me this is the best all around answer.

I will say though that i have not set a bobcat deck. My experience is exmark, badboy, toro, snapper, grasshopper, and a few old huskys.

THC
03-27-2009, 01:07 AM
I tried pitching my 36" toro wb and found that it would mohawk much more frequently between the blades when I am on a curve.

GracesLandscaping
03-27-2009, 01:19 AM
ok so maybe i was wrong in my post... someone please explain to me how it is better to have the front of the deck lower than the back!?!? doesn;t make sense to me because i would think this would lay the grass over before the blades got to it... and all striper kits are located on the rear...????

Sammy
03-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Pitched low in the rear, you will be cutting the blades of grass many times.
Pitched low in the front, you will be cutting the blades of grass just once.

JimQ
03-27-2009, 10:50 AM
topsites, are you smoking something? The blades should NEVER be lower on the back then the front.....

I'm not sure about this. Never is a big word.

I've heard that a negative deck pitch can help knock down stubborn stemmy Bahia down South.

I've never experienced it. Is there anyone down South that can substantiate this?

Q

betmr
03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
The proper pitch is front slightly lower, maybe 1/8. with back lower, you have to cut the same grass twice. The tips of the blades do the cutting. cut in front then the back of the deck is clear, slightly above the grass, not putting stress on your mower.

Remember, when making this adjustment to measure (on a level floor) the front of the blade, then rotate that blade 180% and measure the back and make back 1/8 " higher

Whatever you do, DO NOT make the back of your deck Lower than the front!!!

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
03-28-2009, 12:41 AM
thanks for all the help everyone! I will be sure to let you know what works best!

Ryan

joshco84
03-28-2009, 05:40 AM
Pitched low in the rear, you will be cutting the blades of grass many times.
Pitched low in the front, you will be cutting the blades of grass just once.

This is exactly correct

dishboy
03-28-2009, 10:25 AM
A level pitch can be beneficial for mulching and is the recommended factory setting for the best mulch deck available today(IMO). If you are mulching and have the horsepower and have a good deck design for mulching a slight nose high pitch can work very well. Other than that for blades < 21" 1/8" will give a flat cut efficient cut.