PDA

View Full Version : 72' scag owners

towtruck212
03-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I just bought one and wanted to know what to expect from it. Any special setup you ran on it ? What is junk on it? What is good on it?

Thanks

Mike

puppypaws
03-27-2009, 03:06 AM
I just bought one and wanted to know what to expect from it. Any special setup you ran on it ? What is junk on it? What is good on it?

Thanks

Mike

So you bought a 72" TT, which engine does it have? You purchased as good a mower as there is on the market. This is not to say you can't have problems with anything man-made. There really is no "so called" weak points on a Scag, the ride could stand improving, but then again; so could a lot of others.

lawnboy2068
03-27-2009, 07:11 AM
As stated on another post, we had 3 of these back in the mid 90's. Only option we had were Velkies. A little heavy but nothing that a good operator couldn't handle. Otherwise they were excellent machines that were very productive. We sold ours after 5 years to get our groundmasters. I still wish we had kept at least 1 of them. Never had a problem with them. Good luck with yours.

What motor is on them now? We had Kohler 25's.

James

Littleriver1
03-27-2009, 07:18 AM
You should expect to get done earlly every Friday and have time to go fishing.

towtruck212
03-27-2009, 08:05 AM
It has kohler 25hp its a replacement motor the muffler is on the front of the motor and is kind of in the way to get the belt cover off. Is just a little harder to get the cover off. I have 2 48" walkbehinds now and i cant wait to get this 72" out and see how quick i can do some of my propertys.

Thanks guys
Mike

puppypaws
03-27-2009, 11:24 AM
It has kohler 25hp its a replacement motor the muffler is on the front of the motor and is kind of in the way to get the belt cover off. Is just a little harder to get the cover off. I have 2 48" walkbehinds now and i cant wait to get this 72" out and see how quick i can do some of my propertys.

Thanks guys
Mike

I have no idea what type properties you cut, but a 72" deck will give a 25 hp Kohler more than it wants. I've seen a 72" deck give a 28 hp Cat diesel more than it cares to deal with. No heavy cutting, damp grass, not taking off more than a inch, no problems. Taking off more than an inch, heavy growth, wet grass and the 25 Kohler is not nearly enough engine for a 72" deck, not even close.

capnsac
03-27-2009, 11:40 AM

Thanks guys
Mike

Think of it this way.

30 HP Kohler 60" deck = .5hp/inch of deck (still gives me fits and starts)

25 HP Kohler 72" deck = .35hp/inch of deck (will give you a hell of a time)

I know that formula is a bit arbitrary, so let me put it to you another way. I had a 60" with a 25 Kawasaki and it sucked so bad I went out and bought a 30HP Kohler command.

towtruck212
03-27-2009, 04:12 PM
are these number from a ztr or a walkbehind? What I bought is a waklbehind.

lawnboy2068
03-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Think of it this way.

30 HP Kohler 60" deck = .5hp/inch of deck (still gives me fits and starts)

25 HP Kohler 72" deck = .35hp/inch of deck (will give you a hell of a time)

I know that formula is a bit arbitrary, so let me put it to you another way. I had a 60" with a 25 Kawasaki and it sucked so bad I went out and bought a 30HP Kohler command.

Interesting formula's. I don't know why you had trouble with a 25hp on a 60" machine. All of our 62's run Kohler 20hp and we have never had a problem. High, wet, thick grass and they all have Velkies and we never have had a problem. We also never had a problem with the 25 Kohler on the 72's. You can't go as fast as a Z master but we never had any problem of bogging down or stalling in high wet grass. Maybe we just got lucky.

James

puppypaws
03-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Interesting formula's. I don't know why you had trouble with a 25hp on a 60" machine. All of our 62's run Kohler 20hp and we have never had a problem. High, wet, thick grass and they all have Velkies and we never have had a problem. We also never had a problem with the 25 Kohler on the 72's. You can't go as fast as a Z master but we never had any problem of bogging down or stalling in high wet grass. Maybe we just got lucky.

James

You are saying there is no noticeable difference with a 25 hp Kohler on a 72" mower in 6" tall damp grass cutting it down to 3 1/2"?:confused:

lawnboy2068
03-27-2009, 07:35 PM
You are saying there is no noticeable difference with a 25 hp Kohler on a 72" mower in 6" tall damp grass cutting it down to 3 1/2"?:confused:

See now you are comparing apples to oranges. I read that the gentleman is buying this for his usual route which in my mind would never hit 6" in height.

As to answer you question, I would not take this mower into 6" high grass and cut it to 3.5" on a regular basis. Have we done it, yes. Is it fun, no. But this is a finishing machine, you want to cut 6" tall grass to half it size, then get a groundsmaster or something else that is made to cut grass that high on a constant basis or go for a larger engine.

Lets not BS here. Again, I don't think he is figuring using this machine for what you stated on a constant basis. You are just looking to argue and get off the topic at hand.

James

johnnybravo8802
03-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Everybody on here still wants to exaggerate how much power it takes for mowers. I had a 60" Exmark with a 23 kawi and 72" Exmark with a 27 Kawi and both of them had plenty of power in any condition. I put 1000 hours on my 72" and never ran into anything it couldn't handle-tall wet grass mowing down to 2.75" was no problem. With a WB, there is a lot less weight to lug around versus a ZTR, so a 25 should be a good match. Good luck!!:clapping:

puppypaws
03-27-2009, 08:05 PM
See now you are comparing apples to oranges. I read that the gentleman is buying this for his usual route which in my mind would never hit 6" in height.

As to answer you question, I would not take this mower into 6" high grass and cut it to 3.5" on a regular basis. Have we done it, yes. Is it fun, no. But this is a finishing machine, you want to cut 6" tall grass to half it size, then get a groundsmaster or something else that is made to cut grass that high on a constant basis or go for a larger engine.

Lets not BS here. Again, I don't think he is figuring using this machine for what you stated on a constant basis. You are just looking to argue and get off the topic at hand.

James

You are very lucky it never rains and throws you off schedule. 6" grass is not very large when you are keeping a normal cutting height of healthy grass at 3 1/2" to 4" at all times. It does not take very long to put 2 to
2 1/2" of growth on healthy grass. Maybe you live in a desert and the grass only grows 1" per month.

No one in this area would even consider a 25 hp engine on a 72" deck and anyone mowing commercially goes 27 and up on 60" decks. It could be the grass is tougher to cut in the south, but I doubt it seriously.:rolleyes:

I'll throw the question out on this forum and let you read it for yourself.

capnsac
03-27-2009, 08:48 PM

James

I didn't see where you are located at James so forgive me if my post does or does not apply to your location. With the grass we have here it will easily grow 3 inches in a weeks time, especially with the proper application of pre-m and water, the stuff is scary fast when it is spring. Makes me a little frustrated just thinking about it to be honest :dizzy:

puppypaws
03-27-2009, 09:18 PM
are these number from a ztr or a walkbehind? What I bought is a waklbehind.

What year did Scag make a 72" walk behind mower, it has not been recently?

djagusch
03-27-2009, 09:27 PM
What year did Scag make a 72" walk behind mower, it has not been recently?

Late 80's to 2001 according to their manuals. At some time they got rid of the belt drive but they had the hydro's to 2001.

puppypaws
03-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Late 80's to 2001 according to their manuals. At some time they got rid of the belt drive but they had the hydro's to 2001.

I did not realize they made a 72" walk behind, this is the reason a 25 hp engine could handle it better, lot less weight.

puppypaws
03-27-2009, 09:36 PM

I wonder why they ever made such a large walk behind and I also wonder what made them stop?

"towtruck212" must have bought a mower close to thirty years old. That says a great deal for Scag dependability.

djagusch
03-27-2009, 09:37 PM
I wonder why they ever made such a large walk behind and I also wonder what made them stop?

Back in the day they were very efficient compared to what was available. I would imagine that ZTR becoming more popular and affordable killed them. Making them for 15 years without much change is a long time. Remember currently it's hard to find employee's that even will run a walkbehind when they could be riding ZTR's.

towtruck212
03-27-2009, 09:58 PM
puppypaws, The guy I bought the mower off of said he thought it was a 2000 and it is a hydro so I think another person said they started making hydros in 2001. So it a 2000 or a 2001 I would say.

puppypaws
03-27-2009, 10:06 PM
puppypaws, The guy I bought the mower off of said he thought it was a 2000 and it is a hydro so I think another person said they started making hydros in 2001. So it a 2000 or a 2001 I would say.

I appreciate that information, you never get too old to learn.

That is why I was confused by "lawnboy2068" saying a 25 hp engine handled a 72" deck great for him. I can understand this now, because the 25 is putting more power to the deck instead of using it to pull weight of the mower.

borwicks
03-28-2009, 08:59 AM
I run a 2001 72" Skag walk behind with no problems. Will pull me on the flats as well. I can mow 126k of flat turf in about 1 hour.

Lower your nitrogen content to stop the grass from growing so much and get a soil test. You can also use a turf growth ******ant. I wont mow any ones yard anymore unless we apply the chemicals. I got tired of mowing 6+ inches of bluegrass in the spring.

puppypaws
03-28-2009, 09:16 AM
You can also use a turf growth ******ant. I wont mow any ones yard anymore unless we apply the chemicals. I got tired of mowing 6+ inches of bluegrass in the spring.

This is very smart business sense. What growth regulator are you using and what is the cost per 10,000 sq ft?

capnsac
03-28-2009, 03:25 PM
This is very smart business sense. What growth regulator are you using and what is the cost per 10,000 sq ft?

I'd also be interested to know

djagusch
03-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I priced it out for chain link fence at a school. It's pricey but works. If I remember correctly it was around $350 a gallon. Don't remember the mix rates though.

capnsac
03-28-2009, 04:34 PM
I priced it out for chain link fence at a school. It's pricey but works. If I remember correctly it was around $350 a gallon. Don't remember the mix rates though.

What's the name of it?

johnnybravo8802
03-28-2009, 05:54 PM
My question is-How long does it work? I am sick of Round-up costing a larger chunk of money every year and only working for 8 weeks, at best:hammerhead:Do you have to have a license to buy it and does Lesco sell it? If you can spray it onto a lawn, it probably doesn't work on broadleaf weeds which is what I see along a lot of fence lines. I've just never used a growth ******er but I've heard positive things about them.