PDA

View Full Version : I realize its just part of the job....

DavisLawn
03-27-2009, 12:12 AM
but does anybody else just want to CHOKE THE HELL out of customers who let the sticks and trash lay on the lawn all winter long, only to expect you to pick all of them up? And then gripe if you miss one spot , or if everything is not just so so... yet it doesnt bother them to let the yard look like crap all winter long. For some reason this really gets to me. I HATE the initial cleanups every year.... they take up so much time and are just really frustrating. :wall COME ON PEOPLE GET OFF YOUR LAZY AZZES AND PICK UP THE STICKS OFF THE YARD.

CFB
03-27-2009, 12:18 AM
What? Come on, who picks up sticks in the winter? This is why you have a job man. Because they would rather pay somebody than do it themselves. What's next....hoping they will get off their lazy ass and mow their own lawn too?

dwlah
03-27-2009, 12:20 AM
tell them next winter it will be cheaper for you to come by once a month
works for me
it either gets them on board or off the boat

Florida Gardener
03-27-2009, 12:23 AM
haha, i know this all too well. i have a customer who leaves **** all over his backyard including dog ****. I sent him a letter saying i would love to continue servicing his property, but i will not continue to do so under those conditions. I don't have time to pick up after other people. Let your customers know they need to have everything cleaned up on their scheduled day of service.

DavisLawn
03-27-2009, 12:24 AM
well, one would think that people who are so particular about the yard in the summer, wouldnt be able to stand looking at all that in the winter.... then when you tell them the cleanup costs more, most understand , but some look at you like you robbed them.

DavisLawn
03-27-2009, 12:26 AM
haha, i know this all too well. i have a customer who leaves **** all over his backyard including dog ****. I sent him a letter saying i would love to continue servicing his property, but i will not continue to do so under those conditions. I don't have time to pick up after other people. Let your customers know they need to have everything cleaned up on their scheduled day of service.

I hear ya bro... and the ones whose kids leave their dang toys strowed all over the yard.... my daddy wouldve kicked my butt if i left my toys scattered everywhere when i was a kid. What happened to, "if you get them out, put them back up when youre done"???????

Florida Gardener
03-27-2009, 12:29 AM
b/c we dont say anything and they dont care. i know a lot of people on here dont care, but im not going to spend even 5 minutes per visit to clean up their messes. i dont mind picking up palm fronds,branches,etc. but not dog ****,trash,cigarette packs,paper towels,toys,blah blah blah.

TMlawncare
03-27-2009, 12:41 AM
We have been working on our first round of fertilizer applications and I couldn't believe the condition of some of our commercial accounts. One in particular has trash scattered all over 60k sq ft. Cigerette and more cigerettes just blacket the perimeter of the parking lot, front/rear entrance and up/down the sidewalks. I know a few is expected but I will bet there must be 1000 to 3000 cigerette butt littering this place. I just guessed it would take over 6 hours to clean this place up.

Roger
03-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Do I want to choke the customers? No, they are my source of income. I welcome their checks so I can cash them and have funds in my bank account.

My mowing season begins in a week or so. Last week, and part of this week, I have made a visit to all my customers' properties. I make that pre-season visit to, ready, ... pick up sticks. Also, I use the opportunity to cut any low-hanging branches, cut off wild roses, or other growth that has grown over the edges. In some cases, there is not much to do, in other cases, I may need an hour or more to get the property into a condition I want. I don't want to do these tasks on the first mowing visit. Most of these properties were last visited in November or December.

So, choking, ... no, taking them as paying customers, ... yes. Thank you for your business, and the opportunity to do the work on your property.

ED'S LAWNCARE
03-27-2009, 08:44 AM
I pick up branches and charge for it they can ruin my mach. Dog poop nope run right over it, toys, trash etc nope. If I pick it up then I charge for it. Last year I had 2 clients that kept leaving their garden hose out accross the lawn to flower beds on their mowing day. I rolled it up the first time then charged the couple of times before their bill. Needless to say the hose found its home before I got their.:laugh:

Carolina Cuts
03-27-2009, 09:15 AM
I noticed that too.... down here we had some major weeds coming through the dormant grass as well. (strange winter)

So I decided I'm gonna service each customer once a month next winter....

kaferhaus
03-27-2009, 09:32 AM
We explain to all customers that we base their price on "time" and that anything we have to move to perform our service will cost them extra. Dog poop gets run over which is also explained to them.... we side discharge most lawns and if the dog poop gets thown up against something (we try to avoid that but sometimes it happens) it's not our problem to deal with it.

If the customer doesn't want to agree to that then we mow around anything left in the way be it toys, hoses or whatever.

So far as the first sevice of the year.... that's always a "spring clean up" if you're not charging extra for those then you're giving money away. Not much of a problem here as even during the winter most lawns need a cut or two so it usually doesn't get too bad.

Pine cones are the big issue here.... if they have a lot of pine trees we factor a little more into the initial cost to cover having to pick up some every time we visit.

betmr
03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Are you a lawn MOWING Co. or a lawn MAINTAINANCE Co.? sounds to me like you need to make your winter vacation a little longer, and let someone else make that MONEY doing your spring clean-ups.

Some are in buisness to ride a nice "Z" all day, and some are in buisness to service the customer, and make MONEY.

Just sit back & relax, take it easy. And someone will come along and take that account right off your hands. Where I live we get paid for spring clean-up, so I won't complain.

There's an old saying, someone elses S*** is my Bread & Butter. Look at the bright side, you got work!

David Haggerty
03-27-2009, 11:14 AM
I hire my nephew to pick up litter that's accumulated over the winter. Then bill the customer. Can't really blame the customers here. It's been all covered with ice & snow.

Think Green
03-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Wow,
I can't believe this thread.........
Do any of you LCO's cities have a code enforcement agency that ties into the cities department of solid waste? Hell, all it takes is a phone call, annonymously from anyone, and complain about any trash, debris on a particular lawn---including sticks, and they will site the homeowner for unkept lawns. In my area, that is how we aquire add-on work and get plenty of new phone numbers and it leads to other work........
Yes, it is a sign of lazy people but remember they are paying us to do the work. It is in our job description if you allow it. During the winter months trash does blow in from all directions, get caught up in trees and in the bushes. Homes near business's are the worse compared to those near highways and out in the county. The only real messy lawns that we have are in the not so nice neighborhoods or in the county. We charge more for extra cleanups as we tell them up front when we make a estimate. It is written on their service agreement and when they sign it, we charge........

Sweet Tater
03-27-2009, 05:07 PM
but does anybody else just want to CHOKE THE HELL out of customers who let the sticks and trash lay on the lawn all winter long, only to expect you to pick all of them up? And then gripe if you miss one spot , or if everything is not just so so... yet it doesnt bother them to let the yard look like crap all winter long. For some reason this really gets to me. I HATE the initial cleanups every year.... they take up so much time and are just really frustrating. :wall COME ON PEOPLE GET OFF YOUR LAZY AZZES AND PICK UP THE STICKS OFF THE YARD.

I dont get mad, I get paid, first cut of the year cost more becasue of that very thing. payup