PDA

View Full Version : dust masks

jaybow
03-26-2009, 11:12 PM
How many of you guys use dust masks while sucking up leaves with a commercial walk-behind. The dust is crazy sometimes when doing spring/fall cleanups with the walk behinds and that is one of the things I hate the most.
I hate to look rediculous using a dust mask but I probably will start using atleast to cleanup leaves.

CFB
03-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Use a respirator. 3M makes a really good one for about 25 bucks. I use one all the time in my woodworking biz to keep dust or finish out of my lungs. Works really well.

ricky86
03-27-2009, 12:45 AM
You hate to look ridiculous? You got to be kidding. Vanity is one of the 7 deadly sins my friend. Respiratory problems ain't too cool either.

ojpent
03-27-2009, 07:46 AM
I wear a mask even when mowing, when it gets really dry out..

Think Green
03-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Jaybow,
After 35 years with my father, he has developed what many different Dr.'s call farmer's lung, mechanic's lung, or better commonly known as COPD. Yes, I wear one because of several factors--you know that leaf mold is responsible for 1,000's of deaths and illness's associated with respiratory failure.? Bacterial infections occur inside the nasal passages and can get into the bloodstream.

So to everyone reading this post, no matter what occupation you do, there will always be a flip side to the health issues that can and will occur.
Take care of yourself and protect the only one body that God gave you.

tinman
03-27-2009, 07:11 PM
How many of you guys use dust masks while sucking up leaves with a commercial walk-behind. The dust is crazy sometimes when doing spring/fall cleanups with the walk behinds and that is one of the things I hate the most.
I hate to look rediculous using a dust mask but I probably will start using atleast to cleanup leaves.

I always wear one but rarely see any other guys doing so. Heck I rarely see even safety glasses??????? It is crazy. If it gets as dry as a couple years back I will use a respirator instead of masks.

4.3mudder
03-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Not for me, only shades :cool:. That is the only thing that irritates me is stuff getting in my eyes.

hmartin
03-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Use a respirator. 3M makes a really good one for about 25 bucks. I use one all the time in my woodworking biz to keep dust or finish out of my lungs. Works really well.

Take this advise. Dust masks are 90% as bad as wearing nothing. My work (power plant) issues us MSA Confo Classics and they work great.