PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?


lukemelo216
03-27-2009, 12:13 AM
Ok,so last month I submitted a bid to the assisted living home my grandma lives at. I called today to check on the status of my bid and found out I got the job. Then the owner throws this little number at me. My son is in need of a job this summer, so would we be able to work it out where you cut it one week, and then he cuts it the next. She still wants me to do all the cleanups, shrubs, all that and even finish installing the landscaping that this other company didnt finish. I wasnt sure how to reply to this customer so I said Ill get back to you on the matter. So how should I go about doing this. I mean My income from that account will be cut by nearly $100 per month. I really want this account, but how do you guys think I should talk to her abut this to ensure that I get it all weeks. I thought about it and it can go bad for me 2 ways. A) She realizes she can pay her son $20 or $30 less per week then me and just says hes going to do the job (after she sends me a notice to cancel) or I get the account all year long and then his work reflects poorly on mine because i guarantee hes not using commercial equipment which is built to do this kind of work and built to provide top quality professional results

driver5
03-27-2009, 12:20 AM
there really isnt a way to respond to this. both ways is bad for you. Hes the owner.. if you say no. he could give the whole acct to his son. If you say yes, your out 100 buck a month and your cleaning up his mistakes every time you mow.

I need to think about this one a little more. This is a puzzler

lukemelo216
03-27-2009, 12:23 AM
exactly, and fyi the owner is actually a girl

Going Commercial
03-27-2009, 12:25 AM
You need to address the issue as a professional and in a professional way! You should let her know that your bid was for a weekly service and your committment to her was to provide her with quality service that YOUR work reflects. If that is not enough to keep the account than maybe you can hire her son to work with you, just be careful!

kaferhaus
03-27-2009, 12:27 AM
I'd say. If I won the bid then I'll use my staff to do the work.

Likely the senario is the kid isn't licensed isnt' insured etc.

Are you sure this person OWNS the place and isn't the manager?

If they own it then obviously they can tell you to walk... but if they thought the kid could do, why put it out for bid in the first place?

are you going to get blamed for what this kid screws up? cause if he does screw something up it's likely gonna be he blames you....


back to my first comment.... I'm in a financial situation that I could easily tell them to pack sand. You many not be. If you need the money that bad.... well that's your decision isn't it?

lukemelo216
03-27-2009, 12:33 AM
I thought about having him work for me, but what he would make a measly $10 a week. With me by myself, it would be about 1.5 hours work. With him about an hour to hour and 15. Because believe me, the only thing he would do would be trimming and then blowing the clippings, he wouldnt be running the machines. And yes I am sure this is the owner. IDK why she would do it this way. I dont want to walk from the job, but I am not running a business to share my work.

driver5
03-27-2009, 12:33 AM
back to my first comment.... I'm in a financial situation that I could easily tell them to pack sand. You many not be. If you need the money that bad.... well that's your decision isn't it?[/QUOTE]



I think that I have to agree with you.




Maybe you could let him help you mow that property. but only on that property.....


yeah.. that wouldnt work..


good luck. Im glad that I dont have to deal with that

jrandallb
03-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Maybe ask her if he is going to carry insurance

lukemelo216
03-27-2009, 12:46 AM
when I talked to my parents about this, (I am 18 so i just wanted my dads opinion on how to approach the matter professionally, he was like well its better to have piece of the pie than none. And i was like true, but Im not in this business for part of it, Im in for the whole thing. I just really want to try and solve this matter in a professional way and land the account for each week. Sot thats why I turned to you guys. Any help would be appreciated thanks

I MOW ALONE
03-27-2009, 12:51 AM
i would just tell her i will take it weekly or she can hire her son. we are talking about a $50 cut here right? to me it would'nt be worth the hassle of dealing with to have to hire her son for a $50 a week job just my opinion.

lukemelo216
03-27-2009, 12:53 AM
ya and i wouldnt be hiring her son for clarification. Basically I would be cutting the lawn bi-weekly. On the weeks I dont show up, he cuts the lawn and he is on a bi-weekly sched opposite of mine.

lukemelo216
03-27-2009, 01:15 AM
anyone else have any suggestions?

stidrvr
03-27-2009, 02:07 AM
If you do decide to take it, I would re-bid with a bi-weekly rate instead of a weekly rate. Because you know at some point her son is going to bail one week, and then you'll show up to a mess that you'll have to deal with..

Along with that I think I would take it because as stated above. If he does give up, which is very likely, who is she going to turn too? Even if he does stick around, something is better then nothing.

Although this kind of sounds like its her idea that he does this and not his. So another plus for you.

MJB
03-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Is he old enough to run his own lawn business? Be truthful and tell her your concerned he might damage something and your insurance and neck would be on the line. Tell her to let him clean windows or something. She might just want him to learn from you, so he will do it right once they let you go.

Alot of things to consider liability wise, whose liable if he breaks a window or something with a trimmer.

Littleriver1
03-27-2009, 08:13 AM
anyone else have any suggestions?

I would go to her in person and look at her smile, and talk some. Kind of work up to where you say, "Do I have a signed contract or not." Tell her you can't discuss her son untill you have a signed contract so you know what your dealing with. (some times people add things) While you are there tell her you need to call your insurance company to see how it will affect your insurance. When you have the signed contract in your hand tell her the insurance guy said if you do that he will cancel you. You could do it while you are in front of her or leave and call her back in an hour. She is fishing and you should call her bluff. Just man up to it. It would be fun for me to do it. Also if she does this to you this time she will be back with something every week. That is no way to run a business. You might tell her if things pick up you might be able to hire her son. (NOT). If you don't get this account don't let it bother you. It's not that big a deal.

Sammy
03-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Sounds like she has a lazy kid and has told him he is not going to be doing nothing, this summer. He will not last.

Would he be just mowing or mow, trim and blow ?

Allens LawnCare
03-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Ok,so last month I submitted a bid to the assisted living home my grandma lives at. I called today to check on the status of my bid and found out I got the job. Then the owner throws this little number at me. My son is in need of a job this summer, so would we be able to work it out where you cut it one week, and then he cuts it the next. She still wants me to do all the cleanups, shrubs, all that and even finish installing the landscaping that this other company didnt finish. I wasnt sure how to reply to this customer so I said Ill get back to you on the matter. So how should I go about doing this. I mean My income from that account will be cut by nearly $100 per month. I really want this account, but how do you guys think I should talk to her abut this to ensure that I get it all weeks. I thought about it and it can go bad for me 2 ways. A) She realizes she can pay her son $20 or $30 less per week then me and just says hes going to do the job (after she sends me a notice to cancel) or I get the account all year long and then his work reflects poorly on mine because i guarantee hes not using commercial equipment which is built to do this kind of work and built to provide top quality professional results

Is this home run by a board or just him? I'd have to say no, if you bag and he doesn't you'll be cleaning up his mess, if he misses trimmings you'll be trimming his mess.....you get the point. It sounds like it may be run by a board in which he/she can't just give the account to the son so they are asking a favor. Tell them no....if you sign a contract and accept this job make sure your not liable for anything he does, to me your hundred dollar loss will be even more in time, labor etc.

dirt digger
03-27-2009, 09:52 AM
She has displayed her unprofessionalism thus I would be very cautious. She should not have put you in this situation and I would review the contract first before a decision is determined.

corey4671
03-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I would go to her in person and look at her smile, and talk some. Kind of work up to where you say, "Do I have a signed contract or not." Tell her you can't discuss her son untill you have a signed contract so you know what your dealing with. (some times people add things) While you are there tell her you need to call your insurance company to see how it will affect your insurance. When you have the signed contract in your hand tell her the insurance guy said if you do that he will cancel you. You could do it while you are in front of her or leave and call her back in an hour. She is fishing and you should call her bluff. Just man up to it. It would be fun for me to do it. Also if she does this to you this time she will be back with something every week. That is no way to run a business. You might tell her if things pick up you might be able to hire her son. (NOT). If you don't get this account don't let it bother you. It's not that big a deal.

^^^there's your answer!

mikec_j
03-27-2009, 10:36 AM
How much would she pay her son? 25-30 bucks? I cant see anyway around the liability issues, proof of when something was damaged would be tough,if the kid wants to work maybe use him 1 day a week he may not be that bad plus it could give you more flexability and the ability to take on a little more work.

Sweet Tater
03-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I personally would just tell her, in a respectful manner, its all or none. I would not risk her nephew screwing something up and then me having to pay for it. thats not even good business for her to do it like that, and there is no way in heck I would take business like that. all or none, something else will come to replace it

mississippiturf
03-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm in agreement with the majority of these posts. I would be inclined to tell her that I need to re-bid based on new information.

cantoo
03-27-2009, 09:18 PM
No big deal. Just tell her no problem but you will need a few extra dollars if his work isn"t on par with yours. It will give you a good chance to show what you can do versus him. We used to do this with a few different customers and still do one sometimes. We have a couple of customers who have their own mowers and like to cut grass once in awhile ( keeps them young I guess) but they don't want to do it all the time. They cut it round and round with their tractor, we come in every 3 weeks or so and stripe it with the Walker or Bobcat. All the neighbours notice right away, good advertisement for us. We have a customer that only hires us when they go away, the kids are too busy or their mower is broken. They buzz it and leave a mess. We cut it the right height and make it look great. Did this with a customer last year and his wife finally said enough is enough and sold his mower, now a regular customer.