PDA

View Full Version : Can I put a mini skid in a enclosed trailer?

EVM
03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
I have a 8 * 24 foot enclosed carmate trailer. The trailer is rated at 7,000 lbs so I think I am good there. My question is about loading the mini on the trailer ramp. The ramp has playwood over top of something but I am not sure what that something is. I know there are hollow points under that ply wood because I can see my foot flex the wood. The beaver tail hinge does not look like much either. Has anyone tried this before? I am looking at renting a dingo for a job.

atasteofnature
03-26-2009, 11:42 PM
i worked for a company and we always used an enclosed trailer. We made sure to back it in to add weight to the tounge so you don't sway down the road. Work for us and our trailer.

White Gardens
03-27-2009, 11:13 AM
You'd be surprised at how well the piano hinges on those doors hold up.

Most enclosed trailers are made to handle some good weight, some people haul around their project cars in them, so a mini should have no problems.

If you're unsure about the ramp, then take the plywood off and weld in some extra supports, but I think it will be just fine.

Duffster
03-27-2009, 11:16 AM
just lay some extra planks for the tracks to run one if it just temporary for a rented machine

sven1277
03-28-2009, 08:38 AM
You'll be fine.

PSUturf
03-28-2009, 03:53 PM
My friend carries a Dingo TX in a trailer like yours with no problem. He just lays a couple of 2x8s on the ramp for extra support.

EVM
03-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks guys, on my way to home depot.

Isobel
03-28-2009, 08:12 PM
I agree with White Gardens, you'd be amazed at what those ramps are able to handle. A good trailer manufacturer will over build their ramps for ppl like us :)

EVM
03-31-2009, 11:12 PM
Ramps held up fine but I don't think I could use the trailer again to haul the mini skid.

P.Services
03-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Ramps held up fine but I don't think I could use the trailer again to haul the mini skid.

why do you say that?

DuallyVette
03-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Why Not ?.............

EVM
04-03-2009, 07:57 AM
why do you say that?

The machine is really heavy, there are no tie downs inside the enclosed trailer. The parking brake worked fine but towing the thing made me age 10 years. Anyways, I was really concerned about the ramp door so I put some 2 * 8s down on the ramp. The extra 2*8 made the unit have a 2 inch drop at its peak which is not cool, especially at the rear of the trailer. I was putting the unit inside the trailer for the first time, I was moving slow but not slow enough. When the unit made it's 2 inch drop; the trailer/machine bounced a couple of times like there was a 6.0 earth quake. If I had a video of that footage people would probably laugh their *** off. Anyways, I need an open trailer with tie downs and a steel ramp with no wood for a little piece of mind.

Isobel
04-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I have an enclosed trailer that had the same problem of no tie down points, so I made some. drilled through the wood floor and through the steel joists, and stuck a few eye bolts in.

and for the ramps, just get a set of steel folding ramps.

I got a mini in mine at one point with those ramps, and strapped it down:

http://www.zilanlandscapedesign.com/sunamiartt/images/Mini/100_6490c.jpg