PDA

View Full Version : JD LA145 or which to choose

BluegrassHUT
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Good day !!

Seems like I have been spending all my time on the internet reading and probably reading to much into things on which mower I should purchase.

For the last month I have really liked the John Deere LA145. The price is in my range ( one daughter going to college this coming year and one other getting ready to go to high school ).

I have been at my local JD dealership plus I have looked at some other makes like the Husqvarna and the Cub Cadet. If it were between those two I think I would go at the Husqvarna with the type of model. But everytime I look back I read over the LA145 and still like it much more.

Somethings that I have heard and have read is that the JD LA145 vs any other maker plus the JDLA135 and lower has a much beefier transmission.

At my home I mow just over an acre and have around a 18 degree gradual slope. Some trees but nothing major. I will also be looking at two other lawns to mow to which combined would roughly be around another 3 acres.

To get to the question(s) ...

-would the JD LA145 in your opinions be enough/more than enough

-last much longer if it is true about the transmission. ( I know mantience of everything else means longer life as well. )

-be the better buy among all other JD or any other maker

btw ... I can not afford a ZeroTurn and 2100 to 2200 is about my limit. Also if I were to get the JD it will be at our local dealer not the bigBOX stores.

Thanks for any information or thoughts you may have. I am about to wear out everyone in our family, friends and websites about my problem of making the jump to buy it. If it were a care dealer they would probably give me the truck with all the time I spend looking at it. :hammerhead:

Green Machine Mowing
03-27-2009, 12:56 PM
i got a john deere L111A a few years ago, and wish i didnt, i mow about as much as you do every week and it just isnt holding up, nothings broken yet luckley, it just dosent seem right anymore, thats only with 110 hrs on it.. if i were to do over, id buy a used commercial walk behind with a sulky.

kaferhaus
03-27-2009, 01:08 PM
In my opinion the 100 series Deere mowers are not built all that well, and no I'm not comparing it to a commercial mower... The Husky and Cub cadet models in that price range I believe may suit you better.

I'm unaware of any general problem with the Husky transmissions... only a few companies even make the transmissions for these mowers... many use the same ones.

My brother has 2 acres of actual mowing area and his Husky has held up well. A neighbor has one of the Cub Cadet zero turn lawn tractors (it's not really zero turn but they claim it as one) and he's been very happy with it.

I know lots of folks with the JD 100 series mowers and none of them are in love with them... those were really made for the big box stores although the JD dealers do also sell them. They shouldn't be confused with otherwise high quality products from JD as they're not.

Cuttinitclose
03-29-2009, 05:23 PM
I have a JD 115 and mow 3-4 acres a week with it every week. I also use it for plowing snow. Its probably got 150 hrs and still going strong. Its held up very well. Yours will to if you take care of it.

mowerbrad
03-29-2009, 06:03 PM
If you take care of it and do all the preventative maintenance it should last you. So that means changing the oil every 50hours, cleaning/inspecting air filter every use and replacing as needed, keeping the blades sharp, and greasing everything. I also wouldn't think it would be a bad idea to bring it to your dealer at the start or end of every season and have them do a tune up on it. I personally don't think that it will take the abuse that the x500 or x700 series will but it should do fine. I've got an L120 (same series just a 2006) and it has over 250 hours on it and still running strong, but that was taken care of pretty well.

TN1976
03-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Here is my two cents.........I bought a JD L110 about 4 years ago befor I was in the buisness......it has been great and now I use it for my rough cut mower "places I don't want to put the high $ equipment" and it has not had a single failure it now has 250 Hours on it. A dealer told me that the owners of the L series either love them or hate them. I take care of my stuff and don't expect them to be bush hogs or tanks....I would reccomend thought that you look at some used 48" walk behinds with sulkies though.

scottgalat
03-31-2009, 09:56 AM
I had great luck with a LA120....I completely abused it in every way...except I kept the air and oil very clean. It cut as many as 120 lawns weekly, at full speed, all the time. I ran into things, cut grass 3 ft. deep, cut "sand pits" and the thing kept chugging along....nicely. The thing is a bargain. Take care of it and enjoy.

Mow N GO 06
04-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Good day !!

Seems like I have been spending all my time on the internet reading and probably reading to much into things on which mower I should purchase.

For the last month I have really liked the John Deere LA145. The price is in my range ( one daughter going to college this coming year and one other getting ready to go to high school ).

I have been at my local JD dealership plus I have looked at some other makes like the Husqvarna and the Cub Cadet. If it were between those two I think I would go at the Husqvarna with the type of model. But everytime I look back I read over the LA145 and still like it much more.

Somethings that I have heard and have read is that the JD LA145 vs any other maker plus the JDLA135 and lower has a much beefier transmission.

At my home I mow just over an acre and have around a 18 degree gradual slope. Some trees but nothing major. I will also be looking at two other lawns to mow to which combined would roughly be around another 3 acres.

To get to the question(s) ...

-would the JD LA145 in your opinions be enough/more than enough

-last much longer if it is true about the transmission. ( I know mantience of everything else means longer life as well. )

-be the better buy among all other JD or any other maker

btw ... I can not afford a ZeroTurn and 2100 to 2200 is about my limit. Also if I were to get the JD it will be at our local dealer not the bigBOX stores.

Thanks for any information or thoughts you may have. I am about to wear out everyone in our family, friends and websites about my problem of making the jump to buy it. If it were a care dealer they would probably give me the truck with all the time I spend looking at it. :hammerhead:

Dude, you can pick up the John Deere LA145 at any dealership right now for $1999.00. Your analyzing approaches are absurb. Too much internet access and no common sense creates a bad ingredient for stupid buying. Find the dealer you like and go with it. Cub Cadet, Husky, John Deere LA145, whatever...you are buying a low-end piece of crap no matter which way you go. When you decide to get a serious piece of equipment, then that will be the time to post on here. Until then, call your ISP and cancel your membership. You are driving yourself and millions of us crazy asking stupid questions about low-end homeowner mowers.

Didn't mean to bust your bubble but you are comparing NOTHING to speak about...In that price range they are all the same. "same dog different leg"

Question? What kind of vehicle do you drive? My guess is a very late model $40K plus sport utility and your home value? My guess is atleast $300,000 +

If I was brave enough I would guess your profession. Since I am not brave enough to do that I will only guess some type of Engineer.

I suggest you hire an LCO to mow for you. Glad I won't be him.

Tom White
04-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Dude, you can pick up the John Deere LA145 at any dealership right now for $1999.00. Your analyzing approaches are absurb. Too much internet access and no common sense creates a bad ingredient for stupid buying. Find the dealer you like and go with it. Cub Cadet, Husky, John Deere LA145, whatever...you are buying a low-end piece of crap no matter which way you go. When you decide to get a serious piece of equipment, then that will be the time to post on here. Until then, call your ISP and cancel your membership. You are driving yourself and millions of us crazy asking stupid questions about low-end homeowner mowers.

Didn't mean to bust your bubble but you are comparing NOTHING to speak about...In that price range they are all the same. "same dog different leg"

Question? What kind of vehicle do you drive? My guess is a very late model $40K plus sport utility and your home value? My guess is atleast $300,000 +

If I was brave enough I would guess your profession. Since I am not brave enough to do that I will only guess some type of Engineer.

I suggest you hire an LCO to mow for you. Glad I won't be him.

Geez, the original poster was asking for constructive opinions, not an opinionated rant.

To the original poster - you might try asking this question on a couple other boards, tractorbynet and mytractorforum. You might find the replies to be of a more pleasant nature than this guy's.

blake2727
04-20-2009, 05:31 PM
I agree with Tom. Mow and Go is a jerk and probably is a horrible bussiness man. I hate people getting on here and always putting down on people. If you dont like the post just go read something else and dont reply.
I dont know anything about those mowers so my info wouldnt be any good. Sorry.