PDA

View Full Version : 2nd mower purchase....stand up or sit down?

miketull8
03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
I am heading out to look at mowers. I currently have a Quick 36 that I started with 2 years ago, and I gotta tell ya, I need something much bigger. I am wondering what you guys would do, purchase a stand up, such as a Wright or Great Dane (or now also Ferris and Toro), or get a sit down model Exmark, Bobcat, Toro, etc. I am torn between much smaller footprint on the trailer, easier to jump on/off with the stand ups, but the ease of using a sitdown (someone said the new Toro Titan was nice?)....any ideas? :confused:

Happy Frog
03-27-2009, 02:35 PM
You already have a stand up mower...
I would go with ZTR for the second mower.
When it is time to replace the Quick, you can go with a Quick Dually with Step Saver or a Wright Stander then.

Fox Lawn & Garden
03-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeap, what Happy said above.
Check out Cub's TANKS. I've had 3.

mowerbrad
03-27-2009, 03:40 PM
I would get the ztr because it would allow you to put a collection system on there, which would help with spring/fall cleanups.

Green Machine Mowing
03-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Since guys can stand up, i would do that, no need to squat when you dont need to.

Oh your talking about mowers:hammerhead:, i would say go with a stander, thats just my opinion.

David Haggerty
03-27-2009, 04:46 PM
I went to the EXPO in Louisville last fall, and I can tell you everybody's making a stander. Scag, Snapper everywhere you looked there was a stander and a crowd of people checking them out.
I've watched competitors operating them too. They're just so quick! It looks like ducks in a shooting galery. They're going one direction, then when they hit the end they're going the other direction. I've seen them on hills you'd think would need a walk behind.
I've seen several LCO's with 14 to 16' trailers and the only thing in them is a stander.
I'm going to get one.
You say you need something much bigger. I'd be cautious about getting a stander that's too big and would keep you off of some jobs. I've read that a stander is twice as productive as a WB. So you may not need anything much bigger than what you have.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Sit down ZTR!

miketull8
03-29-2009, 09:20 PM
good info....so what mower do you guys like? I have a little dilema, I really do like to shop local, however, the dealer here in town carries Toro, but is also a competitor, quite a large outfit.....first, do you recommend Toro, and two, would you still go with them?

David Haggerty
03-30-2009, 07:05 AM
good info....so what mower do you guys like? I have a little dilema, I really do like to shop local, however, the dealer here in town carries Toro, but is also a competitor, quite a large outfit.....first, do you recommend Toro, and two, would you still go with them?

That'd depend on what you decided to buy. A 500 series Toro ZTR? Yes. A toro Grandstand? Good machine, but probably too big.
The machine I'd recommend would be a Wright Stander 36"-42" with a 17hp electric/recoil start Kawasakai.
I'm not a big believer in having a dealer nearby. That just puts you at the mercy of what he wants to sell you at a price he wants to charge. Plus if you get a good machine you won't need service all the time.
There are local Toro dealers around here, but my commercial Toro Dealer is 50 miles away. But it's a big dealership. They always have the part and will UPS it to my door.
My Wright dealer will be the same distance. I buy what I want and they can serve me instead of vice-versa.

addictedtolandscaping
03-30-2009, 07:54 AM
if you are bent on getting a stander, then I would go with the Wright. They pioneered it and everyone else copied it. I like the idea of them, but I am of the belief as was mentioned, no bagger means no all season help. I was at my Ferris dealer the other day they have an evolution on display now, and as he put it, waste of money. No bagging ability and to much money for a couple grand more you have a heavy duty ZTR with bagger. Seemed like simple dollar and sense to me.