PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Z or make the jump to Walker?

trdtundra00
03-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey guys, i need some advice on what to do. My dealer has 2 60 inch super z's one has a kohler 27 and the other has the 30, the 27 is 7600 plus tax and the 30 is 7900 plus tax. but here is where im struggling with the decision, i demoed a walker because they just began carrying walker and i am wanting to move into high end residential service with year round contracts and i hear that the walker is ticket for these yards. He has a 20hp 48 inch mt walker for 8900 plus tax. i need another mower and already have 52 inch huslter mini z with collection system but i have also been bidding on larger commercial properties such as churches, schools, condos, and industrial properties. so should i get the super z or go ahead and make the leap into the world of walker? Any advice will be helpful. Thanks Zack

Jason'sLawnCare
03-27-2009, 03:33 PM
If you want to get into high end residentials then I would suggest getting a Walker. Just look at ChestnutOaks on here. With his combination of high end residential and Walker mowers. Also you said you have baggers on other mowers. If you bag often you'll definitely find the Walker very useful.

kaferhaus
03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
did you actually take it to a customers lawn and use it? or did you cut run it around at the dealer?

I used one for a day last year and while it's a fine mower it didn't cut one bit better than our bobcat's do. The only advantage I saw was weight. they're lighter, have smallish engines yet are much more expensive....

The do have some nice features but I didn't find them really worth the extra cost so I passed on it.

The grass collectors look cool... but you still have to dump it on the ground and pick it up unless your customers all have spots for you to dump it.. the baggers can be easily emptied into trash bags or trash cans if you have to remove the clippings from the property.

I guess the biggest issue was what you get for the money... still can't get that unit through a gate but it's priced higher than much larger mowers that will give you more productivity.

I know they're good mowers.... but all of the "brands" are, all cut about the same, use the same motors and drives....

Turf Dawg
03-27-2009, 07:37 PM
I have a Hustler super-z and a Walker MT. To me you are trying to compair apples to oranges here. I would say that a Walker is kinda like a walkbehind for me. I use it on properties that are that size that need a great cut and manuverability. I use the mid mount for open areas where speed and ride comfort is what I need. Everyones needs are different but what it sounds like to me is you need to get the Walker for collection and just use your mini z for the large open areas.

trdtundra00
03-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the response guys, i do mostly residential yards, i have around 55; tho some of them are large and could use a 60 inch cut, i think my 52 hustler will be fine for now. i was just kinda looking ahead at what i want my company to become in the next few years and im really leaning hard towards high end residential like chesnut oaks, i admire their work everytime i see it and thats the kind of service i would like to be able to perform.

cod8825
03-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Trd:

We operate here in Kansas City although we do mostly Commercials we have about 15% residentials and we use Hustler Super Z's with the 66" cuts. Personally I think Walkers are fine mowers we have GHS 48" that we use for clean ups only. You can gut greats cuts with the Z's as long as you mow at the right height and mow in two different directions are yards look awesome with the Z's I would go with them personally.

Matt

johnnyusa
03-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Walkers. Mow once , less trim and blow,and customers will love ya and your done! Good Luck

Tommy Boy
03-28-2009, 08:51 PM
You just answered your question, highend = Walker you will never be dissapointed with your choice. I know a guy running a walker with 3000+ hours and it cuts as good today as the day he bought it. We have three decks and run the muchling decks mostly. We go to the bagging machine in the fall and on yards that require bagging. You will be very happy with the choice.

Based on some dealer and distrubutor issues, we will never buy Hustler products again.

puppypaws
03-28-2009, 09:18 PM
I have a Hustler super-z and a Walker MT. To me you are trying to compair apples to oranges here. I would say that a Walker is kinda like a walkbehind for me. I use it on properties that are that size that need a great cut and manuverability. I use the mid mount for open areas where speed and ride comfort is what I need. Everyones needs are different but what it sounds like to me is you need to get the Walker for collection and just use your mini z for the large open areas.

You said it all in this post.

Walkers = small manicured lawns where time is of no essence

Super Z = large lawns for more speed and productivity

lifetree
03-28-2009, 10:59 PM
... The grass collectors look cool... but you still have to dump it on the ground and pick it up unless your customers all have spots for you to dump it ...

No you don't, the Walkers have a "dump from the seat" control option that will let the operator dump the clippings into a truck bed from a raised position ... it's very nice !! However, I do agree with you that Walkers are too expensive, other less expensive brands can do the same job !!

doubleedge
03-28-2009, 11:24 PM
I doubt that most lawn care customers would even appreciate the (slightly?) better cut quality from the walker. It would be much faster mowing larger areas with a 60" deck going upwards of 15 mph. You will notice that. And time = money.

Also, I would go for the 30 hp option. Barely any more money than the 27 hp one. Even if the power difference is small, peace of mind is always good.

GracesLandscaping
03-29-2009, 12:23 AM
I doubt that most lawn care customers would even appreciate the (slightly?) better cut quality from the walker. It would be much faster mowing larger areas with a 60" deck going upwards of 15 mph. You will notice that. And time = money.

Also, I would go for the 30 hp option. Barely any more money than the 27 hp one. Even if the power difference is small, peace of mind is always good.

i agree with this! but when you say 15 mph... IF you even find a lawn smooth enough to run that fast, the cut will not be that good. with a "good cutting mower" (exmark is the best i personally have ran) if you take your time and know what you are doing you can acheive a cut i think that will be as good as any.

I would however love to have a walker, but i just cant get used to that undesirable wheel mark (or wheels) they leave in the stripes. it just drives me crazy and i would go insane if i left that in some of my high end lawns!

puppypaws
03-29-2009, 09:31 AM
i agree with this! but when you say 15 mph... IF you even find a lawn smooth enough to run that fast, the cut will not be that good. with a "good cutting mower" (exmark is the best i personally have ran) if you take your time and know what you are doing you can acheive a cut i think that will be as good as any.

I would however love to have a walker, but i just cant get used to that undesirable wheel mark (or wheels) they leave in the stripes. it just drives me crazy and i would go insane if i left that in some of my high end lawns!

I personally mow at 15 mph a larger majority of the time. The Super Z I own with flex forks and flex seat gives a wonderful ride and cut at 15 mph. There are people in this forum that has run my mower and will come in and tell you the ride and cut is excellent at 15 mph.

This is at a lower cutting height of 2.75", the cut falls off dramatically at 3.5" when running that fast. The people that have run my mower said they actually could not believe a mower could possibly ride and cut that well at a speed that fast. We are talking about rough property, not smooth manicured grass, this is cutting so fast you could not stay in the seat on other mowers; with the exception of the Bad Boy Lightning and AOS models. The Dixie Chopper will also cut with that type speed but will not give the smooth ride of the two mowers mentioned above.

GracesLandscaping
03-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I personally mow at 15 mph a larger majority of the time. The Super Z I own with flex forks and flex seat gives a wonderful ride and cut at 15 mph. There are people in this forum that has run my mower and will come in and tell you the ride and cut is excellent at 15 mph.

This is at a lower cutting height of 2.75", the cut falls off dramatically at 3.5" when running that fast. The people that have run my mower said they actually could not believe a mower could possibly ride and cut that well at a speed that fast. We are talking about rough property, not smooth manicured grass, this is cutting so fast you could not stay in the seat on other mowers; with the exception of the Bad Boy Lightning and AOS models. The Dixie Chopper will also cut with that type speed but will not give the smooth ride of the two mowers mentioned above.

if the property is rough, does it not make uneven cuts such as when you hit a pothole and the mower kind of jumps up i guess you could say? my dixie does that, and so do the exmarks ive used... the ferris even did it with a full suspension! and yea the dixies ride rough as crap because they have such a short wheelbase on them. im considering a hustler super z with flex forks but im a little leary after ive heard everyone talka bout the cut quality above 3.5 inches :/ i dont think i mow one lawn below that, most of mine are 4-4.5

joshco84
03-29-2009, 02:38 PM
yup i have no use for an xr 7 deck since i mow over three inches.

And i dont give a damn how fast it mows, i only mow 5 or 6 most of the time. Maybe seven on a crappy open yard.

If you are wanting to do high end residentials get the walker. Also get the bags that you can dump the clippings into, they will save you quite a bit of time.

puppypaws
03-29-2009, 03:19 PM
if the property is rough, does it not make uneven cuts such as when you hit a pothole and the mower kind of jumps up i guess you could say? my dixie does that, and so do the exmarks ive used... the ferris even did it with a full suspension! and yea the dixies ride rough as crap because they have such a short wheelbase on them. im considering a hustler super z with flex forks but im a little leary after ive heard everyone talka bout the cut quality above 3.5 inches :/ i dont think i mow one lawn below that, most of mine are 4-4.5

The ride on my mower is second to none, and yes I have cut with a Ferris, no comparison. The only mower I've operated with a ride equivalent to my Super Z with the flex forks and flex seat is the Bad Boy AOS model. This mower is heavy enough to make the 4 wheel rubber suspension perform to the standards it was designed, and it rides extremely well.

The Bad Boy Lightning series has the same exact 4 wheel rubber suspension and you would think it would ride equally as well. The rubber composition needs to me made softer for the lighter weight of the Lightning model to activate it properly and give an equal ride.

My Super Z still handles and controls better than the Bad Boy, the hydraulics are smoother and I like the integrated brake system on the Super Z better than any mower made.

You can get a much more powerful mower with the luxury of an electric lift deck, an excellent ride; second to none with the heavier Bad Boy AOS model. You also get a very good ride and cut with the Bad Boy Lightning model at it's top speed of 14 mph. The handling, controls and maneuverability of the Hustler Super Z are unsurpassed in the zero turn mowing industry as well as the ride with the flex forks and flex seat.

The flex seat makes more difference than anyone can imagine with it's rocking chair motion. When you hit a rough spot running 15 mph the seat moves back with your bodies natural motion taking the back slap out. No other mower has this and it makes all the difference in the world, especially when the flex forks are also added.

The flex forks take a lot of the unevenness out when you hit high and low spots. The more rigid a mower is the more bounce (an I mean hard bounce) you will feel and the more difference you will see in cut height variations. The gradual up and down motion of the flex forks remedies a great deal of this. You must also remember there is nothing totally perfect on any zero turn mower made, but I would say the Hustler Super Z is on top in control, handling and ride.

The higher cutting height is not as good as other mowers (3.5 to 4 inches) but then again you also have to consider how much slower these better cutting decks such as the Exmark Ultracut are moving. You slow the Super Z down to 6 or 8 mph and you may be surprised how good the cut is. I am personally not one that could make myself slow down to that speed. I mow at a lower cutting height and am willing to say there is not a mower on the market cutting normal size grass that can cut as much grass in a day as I will in large open areas, with or without obstacles.

The Bad Boy AOS will be close but where I will pick up the difference is in turn around and maneuverability and this would not be a significant difference. Where the BB will excel far beyond the Super Z is in heavy or wet cutting where you need more power, this is when the BB AOS will eat the Super Z alive. The Super Z may be slowed to a crawl while the higher powered AOS is full bore with no drop in rpm's.

The Bad Boy Lightning and my preference is the AOS will flat get grass cut the fastest of any machine on the market in larger than normal or wet grass conditions with the proper engine. The big Vanguards and 35 Cat diesel are the only engines capable of performing in this manner and are what I consider the proper engines.