PDA

View Full Version : Real world productivity of Quick 36 Single Hydro vs. Q36 Dually

Exact Rototilling
03-27-2009, 02:53 PM
This question I'm really aiming at is for those of you who have used both mowers. How much faster on the average 1/4 acre or less lawn?

I'm not talking perfectly landscaped lawns either. Grass up against the edges of fences trees etc. Average working class lawn with minimal landscaping and borders. Throw in some fairly fragile borders and edging that are common in retirement communities that would be destroyed by rough maneuvers. Does the dually really save much time over the single?

FYI: I have a Q36 Samurai with the step saver and the sulky stays stowed and folded up roughly half of the time. I really like to have it there and I can pull the pin one handed and use the knee maneuver to drop it down. Same to fold it back up just takes a few more seconds. What concerns me about the dually step saver is it doesn't fold up? How big of a pain is this for those of you who have it- to run back to the trailer to get the sulky? Will the single sulky work on the dually?

WHIPPLE5.7
03-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I own a dually and I can tell you that you would have some modifying to do to use your single hydro sulky and even after all the trouble you will still not be able to use reverse and your turns won't be as sharp. If you are getting a dually I would highly reccomend that you either modify a swivel wheel sulky like I did or buy the BOP dually one. Once I let some air pressure out of my tires my traction issues were resolved and it works just as good as the BOP one. I have pinpoint turning and reverse without stepping off the machine. However I would love if it were 1/2 the weight and sprung up once you step off just like how Proslide does. I've thaught about getting rid of about 30 Lbs. of steel on mine and replacing it with black polycarbonate so it weighs like 23 lbs. less.

Exact Rototilling
03-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Did you just get the Dually?

Thought I was going to sell you my Q36 single so I could buy a dually. :)

WHIPPLE5.7
03-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Yep, I got a dually. You said you didn't want to sell yours anytime soon. I've already been using mine for spring cleanups when weather is decent enough. I'm assuming your in the Sandpoint area? I was thinking moving over there in a few years, is there enough room for one more lawn guy?

lifetree
03-27-2009, 09:30 PM
This question I'm really aiming at is for those of you who have used both mowers. How much faster on the average 1/4 acre or less lawn ? ...

For small lawns like that the difference may not be too noticeable, however, I would still get the Dually because you will feel better at the end of the day from not having to Muscle the machine around all day !!

Exact Rototilling
03-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Yep, I got a dually. You said you didn't want to sell yours anytime soon. I've already been using mine for spring cleanups when weather is decent enough. I'm assuming your in the Sandpoint area? I was thinking moving over there in a few years, is there enough room for one more lawn guy?I live off the I-90 corridor so I technically I live in Post Falls but I'd love to the move to Sandpoint my self. Funny we all want to move west now - except me. My wife is sick of the Ice Age winter here and wants to move to the Portland Ore - Vancouver WA area.

Tough to say what the market is like up in Sandpoint. Just like anywhere work smart survive - work even smarter you can do well. There is a bigger market base where I'm at. I'm moving into Washington state more this year. I figure I need to make it worth having the 3 separate licenses' and bonding over there.

I'm toying with the Quick Dually 36 or 44 or maybe a Toro Grandstand or even a Wright Stander [no dealers here]. Depends on what clients I add this year. I really like the fold up platform on the Toro. But the added cost is a real detractor over the Quick mowers. Even the Toro dual hydro WB have a nice fold up sulky.

One of the mow and blow Co. here said his production rate really climbed when he sold his Quick 36 singles and went with Wright Stander 36's. Was able to mow 2 to 4 more lawns per day with a crew of 2. Then Again rumor has it that Toro will probably bring to market a 36 Grandstand. Again the cost but the cutting deck [turbo force] is better than the quick's.

CFB
03-28-2009, 03:52 AM
for 1 the dually is twice as fast, turns faster, less effort, you will get more done. Forget their sulky it is just way too high. Buy a havener and attach a tow bar. That one is swivel wheel and can still be attached uip.

However, realize...This machine(at least mine) is hard to get used to.... So jerky. Controls are way too responsive. Causes you to slow down on turns and baby it so you don't tear it up or bounce your front end like you got hydraulics on it. And for me the operator presense control I had no choice but to disengange it. Mower was always starting to die when I tried to reverse or turn. Hate to disengage saftey features but I could not get used to it. It'd be one thing if it just killed the blades but it kills the machine alltogether.

lifetree
03-28-2009, 08:57 AM
for 1 the dually is twice as fast, turns faster, less effort, you will get more done. ... for me the operator presense control I had no choice but to disengange it. Mower was always starting to die when I tried to reverse or turn. Hate to disengage saftey features but I could not get used to it. It'd be one thing if it just killed the blades but it kills the machine alltogether.

I understand about the Operator Present control, it takes some getting use to ... however, I just learned to kind of slide my hand over the left paddle to keep it depressed when I go into reverse !!

Exact Rototilling
03-28-2009, 10:14 AM
for 1 the dually is twice as fast, turns faster, less effort, you will get more done. Forget their sulky it is just way too high. Buy a havener and attach a tow bar. That one is swivel wheel and can still be attached uip.

However, realize...This machine(at least mine) is hard to get used to.... So jerky. Controls are way too responsive. Causes you to slow down on turns and baby it so you don't tear it up or bounce your front end like you got hydraulics on it. And for me the operator presense control I had no choice but to disengange it. Mower was always starting to die when I tried to reverse or turn. Hate to disengage saftey features but I could not get used to it. It'd be one thing if it just killed the blades but it kills the machine alltogether.
Re: the dually controls - can you dial in an increasing or decreasing radius turn accurately without banging edging or trim after some practice?

Is the dually sulky platform higher than the single hydro sulky?

Will a Pro Slide work on a Quick dually?

lifetree
03-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Re: the dually controls - can you dial in an increasing or decreasing radius turn accurately without banging edging or trim after some practice ? ...

Yes, it's not as bad as it's been made to sound !!

Exact Rototilling
06-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Time to resurrect this old thread. With the pending July 2010 release of the BOP "ultra high lift blades" my resistance to getting a dually is greatly diminished. [I run a Q36 single currently]

The comment about the BOP dually sulky raising the operator up too high concerns me? Does it raise you up higher than with the single Quick with the sulky? What other sulkies on the market work well on the 36 Dually? The ability to drop down the stander on my single is a strong point for me....it does make the front end lighter but it is handy. for 1 the dually is twice as fast, turns faster, less effort, you will get more done. Forget their sulky it is just way too high. Buy a havener and attach a tow bar. That one is swivel wheel and can still be attached uip.