PDA

View Full Version : What oil

grizzly700
03-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Was wondering what is the best oil to run in my 21 hp Kawasaki Yazoo Kees mid max mower. Just wondering what is the best or recommended weight?

Pennington Lawncare
03-27-2009, 05:11 PM
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2217.pdf

Happy Frog
03-27-2009, 08:00 PM
What he said...

maintenanceman
03-27-2009, 08:04 PM
All air cooled engines should have a good synthetic oil, imo. And keep the the cooling fins clean. Synthetic is optional, but also recommended in water cooled engines.

AmsoilPower
03-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Yep. What they said.:)

betmr
03-28-2009, 12:18 PM
I would sujest contacting the engine manufacturer. I just recieved a service bulletin from Toro about some Synthitic oils causeing seal problems. It seems that some of the chemicals in them is haveing an effect on the seals.

I would sujest all you guys useing Synthetic oil check with your reps to be sure they are compatible and not have an effect on your waranties. Manufacturers don't like to cover things that are not recomended by them. Put in what the manufacturer recomends and you can't go wrong. It's all in your owner's manuale, and if you don't have one, you can get it on line.

michaelee2
03-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Amsoil only way to go.

betmr
03-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh, and that service bulletin is "General #01-09" you can find it at toro.com under service bulletins, Its topic is use of non-recomended hydraulic oil, but it talks about Lubricants, and Warenties, worth reading.

Happy Frog
03-28-2009, 12:37 PM
I would sujest contacting the engine manufacturer. I just recieved a service bulletin from Toro about some Synthitic oils causeing seal problems. It seems that some of the chemicals in them is haveing an effect on the seals.

I would sujest all you guys useing Synthetic oil check with your reps to be sure they are compatible and not have an effect on your waranties. Manufacturers don't like to cover things that are not recomended by them. Put in what the manufacturer recomends and you can't go wrong. It's all in your owner's manuale, and if you don't have one, you can get it on line.

What is the name of the oil causing problems?

ricky86
03-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Any name brand SAE-30 oil will work fine. Change at 100 hrs. You wont have a problem. Can you justify the added expense of synthetics when cost is such a concern? And cost is always a concern ALWAYS. But if you do have addition cash, don't spend it on oil, run premium fuel. That will help more than than the oil. Sometimes, in the summer, FH and FD's will "run on" with lower octane. Now, who's goin to say "but synthetics run cooler"

michaelee2
03-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Thats right they do run cooler. I had never run synthetic in anything until 04 when I bought a new Kawasaki Prairie 700 4x4 atv. I ran the regular kawasaki oil until about 500 miles and then switched over to Amsoil as recommended to me on some atv forums. I put it in and could instantly tell how much less the fan would kick on. It kicked on probably at least half as much as before.

ricky86
03-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Which means it might run 2 degrees cooler. You make a strong point.

betmr
03-28-2009, 02:26 PM
What is the name of the oil causing problems?It is not a nme brand but general topic. could void your warenty. toro.com,golfcourse maint.,customer care, service bulletins, general topics, Use of non recomended hydraulic oils. Talks of lubrisants AND warenties. worth reading! If engine manufacturer won't pay for the warenty work, will the synthetic oil co?

Happy Frog
03-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh, and that service bulletin is "General #01-09" you can find it at toro.com under service bulletins, Its topic is use of non-recomended hydraulic oil, but it talks about Lubricants, and Warenties, worth reading.

The Service Bulletin is about the use of a very specific type of lubricant and doesn't concern synthetic oils in general.
Here is a link to the type of lubricant they are talking about:
Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG) Gear, Bearing and Compressor Lubricant (http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_Glygoyle.asp)
These lubricants were not developed nor are recommended for use is Lawn & Garden equipments.
Therefore, damages from their use will not be covered under warranty (note that it will not "void" the warranty).
You can't fix stupid... There will always be a dumb ass trying to save a buck by putting what they have on hand in their equipment without reading the sticker on the bottle...

topsites
03-28-2009, 02:34 PM
You can't fix stupid... There will always be a dumb ass trying to save a buck by putting what they have on hand in their equipment without reading the sticker on the bottle...

Yeah, or failing to read the OM, as you said that doesn't make synthetics bad.

traman
03-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Was wondering what is the best oil to run in my 21 hp Kawasaki Yazoo Kees mid max mower. Just wondering what is the best or recommended weight?

most dip sticks tell you what to use

brianslawncare
03-28-2009, 05:24 PM
i contacted scag tech support and they said castrol 10w30 is great to use, and keep using it. i run it in a scag tt 61/27 kawi liquid cooled and a scag tiger cub 17 kawi 48. also in two exmarks one 36 /15 kawi viking walkbehind and one 61/ 23 kawi turf tracer walkbehind. also run in both trucks chevy 1500 and ford 350. works great for me. i change oil in the mowers every 75 to 100hrs, and the trucks every 3000 miles.

KGR landscapeing
03-28-2009, 06:30 PM
If i would of bought that my dealer would of sent me home with a case of opti4

kaferhaus
03-28-2009, 07:38 PM
If you change it at the recommended intervals any oil that meets the specs will be fine and give just as long of engine life as anything else.

Syhnthetics are better lubricants, no doubt about it, but all the fancy test data that they show has very little relevance in the real world and especially in low HP engines like the ones we run.

Sure you can go longer between changes but we use that change interval to check a ton of other things. And as synthetics are usually double or more in cost..... even the extended oil change doesn't pay for it.

We've got a few Kaw's with over 3,000 hours on them still running fine and only use regular petro oil.