PDA

View Full Version : Have Stihl 4 mix trimmers proven themselves yet?

tacoma200
03-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Well I haven't been keeping up much. I finally had a Stihl fs 80 break down after about 8 years (first failure of a Stihl product). Have the 4 mix models proven themselves. My dealer still has plenty of fs 80 two strokes but I'm looking at the FS 110 r. Just not sure how many of you have had valve problems. So is it worth it to go to 4 mix now or stay with the good old reliable two strokes? Please note any problems you have had other than the valve adjustment. Thanks!

mississippiturf
03-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Haven't had any problems with my 4-mix stuff to speak of. From what I've been reading on L/S if you run good synthetic oil you will have very little problems.

sandman23
03-27-2009, 08:49 PM
No problems with my FS90 or KM90. I use Opti-2. This is the third season with them.

TheUfan
03-27-2009, 08:53 PM
My first commercial trimmer was an fs90 with the 4mix engine. I bought it several years ago. i personally prefer shindy trimmers but the stihl 4mix trimmers are good units. the only real problems i have had with the 4mix units is vibration in the handles. stihl puts an anti-vibration damper somewhere on the unit (I would guess in the handle) but I have had problems with vibration in 3 different 4mix units: fs90, km110r and the fs100. if you're not a poonanny like me though the stihl 4mixes have great torque and are very reliable. They weren't bad enough for me to sell them after 3 years.

Think Green
03-27-2009, 10:25 PM
I have run the KM110R and the KM90R (both non-dedicated) and use Amsoil 100/1 with no problems yet.

ECO Landscaping
03-27-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm running an KM130 W/tiller,paddle,edger,and brush trimmer. Just got a FS100Rx but have not used it yet. Use the stihl synthetic oil (the white bottle). Also running three BR600 back pack blowers and never any problems with any of the 4-mix. JMI

genesis215
03-27-2009, 11:28 PM
The FS 110 4-MIX is a very well proven trimmer. It has been out for 5 years now, and all the initial problems are long gone. These engines are actually MORE reliable than the "old reliable 2-strokes". Not kidding. My friends have run their FS 110's for 3 years, and run them hard, and they have never even adjusted the valves, and they still have yet to have one problem. The 4-MIX is alot more reliable than any of the EPA-bound 2-strokes of today. They don't have the problems that most modern 2-strokes have, such as hard starting, necessary warmup time before use, bogging, and low power. The 110 is in another universe in comparison to the 80, and I have tried both. No comparison. The 110 is a 2-thumbs up trimmer. As long as you run synthetic oil such as the Stihl Ultra, or preferably Amsoil Saber, then you wont have any valve troubles.

MnDLawn
03-27-2009, 11:31 PM
11, 4-Mix engines and they all run great. One pull start every time.

milo
03-28-2009, 12:04 AM
first off its a stihl. next off all the other companys are trying to catch up. they are as good as any 2 stroke and last as long.

Fleur De Lawn
03-28-2009, 12:12 AM
My dealer says no! Not because anything is wrong with them yet he just does not trust the technology of that enginge yet, and he would rather sell me the 2 stroke.

TheUfan
03-28-2009, 04:40 PM
My dealer says no! Not because anything is wrong with them yet he just does not trust the technology of that enginge yet, and he would rather sell me the 2 stroke.

I would question the knowledge of your dealer. Evey company is moving all of their 2-stroke engines to this new 4mix, c4, stratified technology. This is not new technology, its been out for years. There really are a lot of good engines on a variety of machines that use this technology and the vast majority are better than 2 stroke tech and are more powerful and more efficient.If your dealer won't invest his own time into researching this tech and learning more it may be time for a new dealer.

MnDLawn
03-28-2009, 04:50 PM
^ What he said.

jsf343
03-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Hey Tacoma, good to see you onhere again, havn't seen you around in a while. To answer your question... I have both older and the newer models, so in my opinion the newer (4 mix) is much better. Seems to run cleaner, less oily build up, less smoke, overall a very good efficient running piece of equipment.

I think another poster (Genesis?) mentioned many of the same points I am talking about. I actually like the new stuff better (fs-110 ) I also like how you have so many interchangeable pieces (chain saw, sidewalk trimmer, hedge, trimmer, cultivator, etc.) Honestly I have had mine since they first came out with NO PROBLEMS what so ever. very nice piece of equipment.

if you have any other questions give me a holler,

Jeff

clay duncan
03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
as great as the fs80 are, the 4-mix weedeaters are much better. i have 5 fs 110s and i would not consider using anything else......

tacoma200
03-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey Tacoma, good to see you onhere again, havn't seen you around in a while. To answer your question... I have both older and the newer models, so in my opinion the newer (4 mix) is much better. Seems to run cleaner, less oily build up, less smoke, overall a very good efficient running piece of equipment.

I think another poster (Genesis?) mentioned many of the same points I am talking about. I actually like the new stuff better (fs-110 ) I also like how you have so many interchangeable pieces (chain saw, sidewalk trimmer, hedge, trimmer, cultivator, etc.) Honestly I have had mine since they first came out with NO PROBLEMS what so ever. very nice piece of equipment.

if you have any other questions give me a holler,

Jeff

Thanks, it looks like most of the reviews are favorable. If the one pull start is true that would be a blessing. Cheers.:)

joed
03-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I have the Stihl FS110 trimmer and The BR600 blower....both 4 mix engines. No problems whatsoever. Trimmer is very nice, well-balanced and lots of torque. Just make sure to use 93 octane gas and good 2 stroke oil from Stihl and you should be fine.