PDA

View Full Version : The Blizzard.... 3-27-09

Jason Rose
03-27-2009, 08:13 PM
So... Who all is doing the same thing I am, watching it SNOW outside?? This is just SICK :cry: I was working on the second cut for most lawns, all of my round one fert/preemergent was down, and now we are faced with 6 to 7 inches of snow currently, and they are saying we could see about a FOOT! Wind blown, and pretty wet too. My beautiful green lawn is gone, and this snow probably won't be melted totally for well over a week :cry:

I'd say this makes me sick, but I already AM sick. Came down with a BAD case of the stomach flu about 48 hours ago and it's still kicking my butt, literally. Thinking about getting out and running a snow blower is NOT high on my 'to do' list right now.

I'd take some pics of the blizzard but my camera is in the dump truck that's out in said blizzard. I'll have to recover it sometime I guess.

4.3mudder
03-27-2009, 08:28 PM
We got a lil rain today, I have a big week next week, already behind becuase of the rain we got a couple days ago.

Mowingman
03-27-2009, 08:31 PM
We are supposed to have snow flurries here tonight and tomorrow AM.

SilverPeakServices
03-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Out at 1:00am this morning plowing and shoveling walks. We got around 10 inches of snow out of the same storm.

AmsoilPower
03-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Supposed to hit here tommorrow night w/ up to 6" and maybe more if we get the thunder snow. People here are just starting to cut and I have 20 mowers in the shop to service for customers yet:cry:. I hate shuffelling mowers around in the snow:dizzy:

ed2hess
03-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Well we finally got some rain after two years of practically nothing....but we got hail big time. All our trucks and cars and houses are a mess. Had golf ball size.

4.3mudder
03-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Well we finally got some rain after two years of practically nothing....but we got hail big time. All our trucks and cars and houses are a mess. Had golf ball size.

Man, I heard about that, it was also bad in San Antonio. We got pea sized hail here a couple days ago.

doubleedge
03-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Global warming strikes yet again...

billslawn89
03-27-2009, 09:44 PM
So... Who all is doing the same thing I am, watching it SNOW outside?? This is just SICK :cry: I was working on the second cut for most lawns, all of my round one fert/preemergent was down, and now we are faced with 6 to 7 inches of snow currently, and they are saying we could see about a FOOT! Wind blown, and pretty wet too. My beautiful green lawn is gone, and this snow probably won't be melted totally for well over a week :cry:

I'd say this makes me sick, but I already AM sick. Came down with a BAD case of the stomach flu about 48 hours ago and it's still kicking my butt, literally. Thinking about getting out and running a snow blower is NOT high on my 'to do' list right now.

I'd take some pics of the blizzard but my camera is in the dump truck that's out in said blizzard. I'll have to recover it sometime I guess.

man, i remember those days back in ohio. it was april 25th, yes april. i lived along lake erie, northern ohio and we had this freak lake effect snow that came in over night. woke up in the morning and said, wtf? had to plow a small shopping plaza close to the lake, but more inland you went, nothing, i mean no snow what so ever. i plowed in the morning, and went mowing my clients in the afternoon that were away from the lake. now that was weird. that will never again happen in a million years.LOL

mississippiturf
03-27-2009, 09:47 PM
We're going into our forth day of rain. Tornados just south of here. I'll be looking for a four-wheel-drive zero turn if it continues to rain! We've gone from Mississippi to Missislippery!

freshcut419
03-27-2009, 09:48 PM
was out doing clean ups today in Michigan nice and spring like here starting to green up

mattfromNY
03-27-2009, 09:50 PM
We normally plow snow through March and sometimes into April. We havent had a plowable snow since mid February. Been doing cleanups since the first wk. of March.

grassman177
03-27-2009, 09:53 PM
yup, looks liek snow here very soon and no work for at least a few days. kind sucks, but i never argue with time off in spring.

Jason Rose
03-27-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm arguing! Because it looks like it could be up to 2 weeks before we will be able to get back out working on lawns... Depressing as hell. I had a good number of lawns that were ready for their second cut, some were skipped this last week because I was sick Thrusday, and then today was obviously a flop.

My only snow equipment is 2 snow blowers. Got a call from a lady earlier today needing help, said her son's car was buried in the drive and she couldn't get in the drive because of the drift. I told her all I have is snow blowers, she laughed. She said the drift was 3 to 4 feet deep, said she would try to find someone with a tractor or plow truck.

jsw2008
03-27-2009, 10:01 PM
A lot of rain here. Going on our third day. Some of my warm season lawns (including my lawn) are overseeded with rye. Rye loves this warm rainy weather. Seems like it grows about 1" per day. I mowed one of my regular customer's lawn this morning before the rain came in again and the grass was literally a foot tall in places. Big mess.

terrypiper
03-27-2009, 10:44 PM
jason i hope that snow stays in hutch lol i had taken my plow off my walker and had done a few cleanups and not this. we have only ice and freezing rain at the moment but they are predicting 6 to 10 inches here tomorrow. i feel your pain i had sunday all lined up to train my newbies on weedeating a cemetery, guess they lucked out. take care and hope it melts and dries up quickly

elite lawns
03-28-2009, 12:34 AM
it's coming down good here in western Oklahoma

modedicebox
03-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Been at clean ups and mulch for 3 weeks, started first cuts this week. Nice change of pace if we get 3-6. Stack that cash. Plowing is great!!!

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Hope it reaches here..they are calling for it to come through but who knows what will happen. But if it does come it better accumulate for me to bust the plows back out. Never know what will happen in St. Louis callin for this snow tomorrow the high 60s on Mon...

terrypiper
03-28-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm arguing! Because it looks like it could be up to 2 weeks before we will be able to get back out working on lawns... Depressing as hell. I had a good number of lawns that were ready for their second cut, some were skipped this last week because I was sick Thrusday, and then today was obviously a flop.

My only snow equipment is 2 snow blowers. Got a call from a lady earlier today needing help, said her son's car was buried in the drive and she couldn't get in the drive because of the drift. I told her all I have is snow blowers, she laughed. She said the drift was 3 to 4 feet deep, said she would try to find someone with a tractor or plow truck.

just checking to see what you got overnight and is it still snowing there? it was freezing rain all night and morning just snowed for about 25 minutes but all has stopped for now

stroker51
03-28-2009, 02:03 PM
The way I see it it's gonna be muddy as h#ll for a few days anyway with all this rain/freezing rain. It might as well snow so I can scrape up all those dollar bills that fall from the sky!! I'd prefer to do my plowing from November thru February, but seeing as how I spent half a day yesterday getting plows and the salter all back out and on trucks, it might as well snow. Gonna be 60 on monday, I can be back to finishing up first round of apps next week. Gonna put us behind on mowing and mulch, but thats alright i guess. I can make as much in one snow as I can 2-3 weeks of normal maintenance. Send some of that snow on up to Lawrence!!

Herrick
03-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Just started raining here... talking about 4-8" overnight. This should be interesting.

J & D Greens
03-28-2009, 02:11 PM
We got dumped on Thursday too, but I'm so glad because no one is watering and we haven't had any moister all winter long in the front range. All the snow has been in the mountains and they have got plenty of it there. So most of my customers have their pre-emergents down with fertilizer and this snow is just what we need. We will been turning on sprinkler systems in a couple of weeks after the threat of freeze is over. Great timing for us!!!!!

J & D Greens
03-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Check it out only two days later and the snow is half the way gone. I love it here in Colorado.

KCfireman
03-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Same thing is happening here.

MOW ED
03-28-2009, 04:17 PM
My snowblower has been "summer-ized" and I ain't bringing it out again. The stuff can sit on the driveway until it melts.
Don't know exactly how much, an inch or two but it still is March and I usually don't get going good until April.

terrypiper
03-28-2009, 04:40 PM
well the weather proved me wrong and we have about 3 inches on the ground now. i have went out in the blizzard and changed my walker back to a snow remover for one day, oh well i guess its good money and since it will be a week before i can get on the grass again i might as well enjoy.

huskres
03-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Have around 7" so far here in tulsa that I can measure.

Jason Rose
03-28-2009, 11:31 PM
What an Effing nightmare!!!!!! We ended up with about 20 inches of snow, yes, twenty inches. With drifts in places over 6 feet, and that's just in town. Snow blowers are almost useless in this much snow. It's VERY WET too.

Pretty much the entire town was shut down this morning. If you didn't have a lifted 4 wheel drive truck, with weight in the back, you weren't getting anywhere. We were stuck in the 4x4's many times today, though at least I never had to be pulled out. Had to pull out a couple people though. Not easy.

I don't know how the guys 'up north' deal with this kind of quantity of snow all at once. Most guys with truck plows weren't getting anywhere fast either. If you didn't have a large tractor/front loader, you aren't getting much done.

I'm still sick I guess. Thought I'd be well by now, but everything I eat shoots right thru me, so I pretty much just can't eat now. I have NO energy and finally had to just call it quits today about 7:00pm. Still have at least 20 drives to get cleared, and some are so bad I don't know how we will ever get them done. I need an army of guys with shovels! The guys shoveling seem to be doing as much as us with 2 blowers. Just need guys with strong backs and arms.

KCfireman
03-29-2009, 12:01 AM
about 10" here.

S.I.
03-29-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm glad it's you guys now. We got dumped on last Thursday, and today it finally melted off. It doesn't really make a difference because everything is still brown here.

Australian Mower Man
03-29-2009, 06:16 AM
I cannot believe this thread!
In Australia (the flatest, driest continent on earth) we have ONE maountain range that gets snow. Sure in the west of said range it gets cold in winter (avg 10degC ) but not much snow, sleet maybee. Where I live on eastern coast average winter temp is 18C, about 70F daytime and 12c or about 51F night time. AS I said I dont know how you live there. But You likley think the same about us with our sharks, spiders jellyfish, snakes rays and all the other thinks that will kill you. (no bears though)

Frue
03-29-2009, 08:46 AM
At least its moisture. We were so dry here waste management was watering the roads at the dump to keep the dust down. I had a load o junk and had to go and drop it off at the waste lands. On my way back there big triaxles was kicking up so much dust that I thought I was lost. Not to mention getting in there this time of year is absolutly amazing. I usually need 4 wheel drive this time of year. I was in two wheel the whole way.

We just got about 3 days of rain now everything is going good. Everything is soaked.

MOW ED
03-29-2009, 09:07 AM
But You likley think the same about us with our sharks, spiders jellyfish, snakes rays and all the other thinks that will kill you. (no bears though)

I was gonna say that we have gangs and other mopes that will kill you here but then I saw the report about the beating at one of your airports last week. Sounded like American gang names however.
I would love to live in Australia for our winter. We only got about an inch of snow here in Green Bay so I am not so sad today. That will melt whne it reaches a balmy 38 degrees this afternoon. One thing about Green Bay is we don't have the big brush fires like you do there. They have some big ones out west but we are pretty wet here.

MileHigh
03-29-2009, 10:18 AM
You need to start plowing snow. So when things like this happen, your still raking it in.

I can make more in one storm plowing snow, than I can all week cutting lawns....ALOT MORE money involved with plowing.

AmsoilPower
03-29-2009, 12:29 PM
We ended up only getting 3-4" here thankfully. Has been melting all morning. Tommorrow is supposed to be sunny and 60 degrees with thunderstorms at night:dizzy:

It will be so sloppy around here for a few days until we get some wind to help dry out. But that may not happen too fast as there is rain in the forcast about every other day for a week.

Has anyone ever thrown grass seed on top of the snow? I have heard it works good but thought I would ask the pros!!!

MnDLawn
03-29-2009, 12:39 PM
I did it once to my yard for the heck of it, I guess it worked.

"Cool season grasses (Perennial Ryegrasses, Fescues, Bluegrasses) can be successfully planted on top of snow for winter planting. What happens is that the seeds are carried downward to soil level by melting snow in the spring. At that times cracks are present in the soil from the freezing temps of winter that the seeds can be "melted" into. This provides for reasonable seed / soil contact."

STIHL GUY
03-29-2009, 12:52 PM
we got rain but i think were done with snow for the year

joshco84
03-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah its been a mess jason. I stayed at my cousins house in hutch so i could get my wife to work at the hospital. My cousin and i drove around quite a bit and there were people in cars and small pickups stuck everywhere. What a bunch of idiots, thinking there little cars and pickups can make it through 3 foot plus drifts. I had a hard enough time in my 4wd half ton ford, never got stuck though.

lawnprosteveo
03-29-2009, 03:00 PM
We got six inches here. That was on top of a ton of rain. Snow is melting today but itll be too wet to work for a couple of more days at least.

HOOLIE
03-29-2009, 04:11 PM
70 and sunny here, balmy breeze too :laugh:

IdealLawnCare
03-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Took a trip to Colorado last week for a wedding. It was 79 in Denver last sunday and then snow this past week. We were heading home from the western slope last Tuesday and we were lucky to get through because they closed Vail pass. Now that is my kind of adventure.