PDA

View Full Version : Some suggestions from you pros

emby
03-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi guys,
Did this last fall for a friend. We want to try and tweak the look of it so I was hoping that you guys would throw some suggestions my way.
As you can see from the photo this house sits way up on a hill so it stands out at night big time.
Not too sure if I should be using bullets or ingrounds for this.
Currently installed are 8 CM-125 with Ushio 35 36 degree bulbs, and 5 CM-730/20 Path lights (20 watt) leading to the front entrance. 600 Watt Cast multi transformer. Lots of room to grow.
We would like to enhance the front of the house a little more but the landscaping is not very mature yet.
The back of the house will be done later this summer.
I will try and post a night time photo later tonight but that depends on how well the camera and I work together:confused:

Thanks in advance
emby

Mr. Quik electric
03-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Nice house. About all you can light is the house.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Less is more on this one. Subtle subtle subtle.

After I see some night photos of what you have already done I will have more to say, but I bet 1st thing will be to re-lamp from the 35W MR16s to 20W.

Go softly into the dark night!

emby
03-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Still playing with the camera...wish I could figure this thing out. Nikon D60 is the camera. More reading to do.
Here are the photos....

emby

emby
03-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Less is more on this one. Subtle subtle subtle.

After I see some night photos of what you have already done I will have more to say, but I bet 1st thing will be to re-lamp from the 35W MR16s to 20W.

Go softly into the dark night!

Thanks James,
As you can see from the night photo I guess I will be changing them to 20watters. Do you think it needs a couple more bullets? On the right side there are only two bullets I was thinking of adding one more in the middle? Again on the left side there is only one bullet firing above the window maybe two on that side as well? What do you think?

David Gretzmier
03-28-2009, 12:48 AM
I would do 3 on the right side, closer to the house and more up. 20 watters. I'd play with 60 degrees on the outside and probaby do 24 or 36 in the middle. on the far left , it looks like one light, I'd do 2 on each side of the window centered, closer to the home and up. 20 watters. probably 36's or 60's. the columns need 24's in my opinion. I like entry columns to have a bit more focus. That multi trunk ( birch? ) on the left looks like a single 60 degree would be nice.

I would also reccomend a good landscape guy to put in 4 decent size maple trees ( 250 bucks each installed maybe, 2 inch caliper and up? ) maybe 50 feet away from the home at good locations for property beautification and future uplighting.

emby
03-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks David,

I will be attempting the changes in a couple of weeks as the ground is still frozen solid. I think that your bang on with adding the extra lights as it would give it more of that elegant look. Much appreciate your advice.
I will post the update pictures once I am completed.

emby

Pro-Scapes
03-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Start with the lamp swap and move the fixtures closer to the wall so you have light starting at the bottom. Quick first impression is the house is floating on a black cloud. Thoes pathlights also look wickedly tall.

We just bought the d60 nikon and here is a couple of our first photos with it. On my computer this looks underexposed. On the mac it looks great. On the Plasma tv in our show booth this weekend it looks stunning. This is a play set the homeowner had built and wanted lit from the tree in front of it. I know the exposure is off a bit because the river birch on the left is actually understated a bit.

emby
03-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Start with the lamp swap and move the fixtures closer to the wall so you have light starting at the bottom. Quick first impression is the house is floating on a black cloud. Thoes pathlights also look wickedly tall.

We just bought the d60 nikon and here is a couple of our first photos with it. On my computer this looks underexposed. On the mac it looks great. On the Plasma tv in our show booth this weekend it looks stunning. This is a play set the homeowner had built and wanted lit from the tree in front of it. I know the exposure is off a bit because the river birch on the left is actually understated a bit.

Hi Billy,
The photo looks great compared to mine. Just wondering a couple of things... At what time of day did you take the pic and what were your settings on the D60.
I fully agree about the moving the fixtures closer to the house to give the elecgant,dramitic look so thanks for the tip. The path lights are that high because they have a ton of Maiden Grasses along the path. Really it is a bad time of year to take the photos since the little vegitataion they have is not fully grown.
What product do you use for path lighting?

Ken

Pro-Scapes
03-29-2009, 09:41 PM
that was taken a bit too dark after the sky was already a deep navy blue. The pic is slightly over exposed in areas.

I think the settings are ISO 400 f 11 in A mode. This camera is still very new to me as well but I am very pleased with it already. I have ordered the remote trigger and also met a young man at our patio show this weekend who is a freelance photographer. The kid took pictures with an older 4mp nikon dh2 and his color rendition is flawless. He is going to be giving us some lessons and shooting a few jobs for us in the coming weeks so stay tuned for some great pics and tips for nikons.

This was a complete demolition of the backyard I had previously lit so I reused the cast mushroom pathlights he already had. Now I am pretty much hooked on a private lable pathlight which uses an MR16 that sets a bit higher like that but I often lower it down to look pleasing during the day time as well.

If you have plants around the pathlights it could just be the photo and not the actual view. Definatly need some light at the bottom of the walls.