PDA

View Full Version : Dethatching, is it time?

FYS777
03-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Still in mid twenties at night, mid fifties in daytime, do you think this is still to cold, or should one wait until grass actually starts growing???

RLawns
03-28-2009, 12:10 AM
it is best to de-thatch in late August for optimum reseeding timing

FYS777
03-28-2009, 12:31 AM
it is best to de-thatch in late August for optimum reseeding timing

Thats our hottest time of year here,

AndyTblc
03-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Get it done before the grass starts growing

FYS777
03-28-2009, 12:46 AM
Get it done before the grass starts growing

what about the temps, do you think mid 20s to cold ? or is it ok when temps reach 50?

White Gardens
03-28-2009, 01:04 AM
I've never figured temps into the equation. To me it's a matter of timing. If I dethatch in the spring, I wait until the grass has just come out of dormancy, all the frost has come out of the ground, and the ground has firmed up enough.

If it's too early, then you might pull up too much good sod if your machine is too aggressive. But, even then it's not enough to do too much damage.

FYS777
03-28-2009, 01:14 AM
I've never figured temps into the equation. To me it's a matter of timing. If I dethatch in the spring, I wait until the grass has just come out of dormancy, all the frost has come out of the ground, and the ground has firmed up enough.

If it's too early, then you might pull up too much good sod if your machine is too aggressive. But, even then it's not enough to do too much damage.

Thanks white gardens, reason I'm asking is I've seen some one doing this today, I usually wait myself till it quits frosting, you have good points. we may even get into the teens for temps at night still.

White Gardens
03-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Thanks white gardens, reason I'm asking is I've seen some one doing this today, I usually wait myself till it quits frosting, you have good points. we may even get into the teens for temps at night still.

I wouldn't dethach or mow for that matter a yard that has frost on it. But during the late season here (cool season grasses) you can mow during the day after the frost has burned off.

Critical Care
03-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Hello neighbor. Yes, some people have started to dethatch around here, such as the workers in Bend's Old Mill District. I generally wait until I begin to see some life returning into the turf, and as a guess that will likley be a couple more weeks, but you know how screwy the weather can be in our area.

FYS777
03-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Hello neighbor. Yes, some people have started to dethatch around here, such as the workers in Bend's Old Mill District. I generally wait until I begin to see some life returning into the turf, and as a guess that will likley be a couple more weeks, but you know how screwy the weather can be in our area.

Wow this is amazing, second one from Oregon i've seen on here, no less central Oregon, ya I usually start some were around the second week in April, or when I start turning sprinks, on so I know were the heads are. I here you about the screwy weather, I'm about two weeks behind, compared to last year.

cgaengineer
03-28-2009, 07:45 PM
You are best to wait until the grass can recover quickly.