PDA

View Full Version : Stripes and mulch job

mowinginva
03-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Here are some pics of our 1st stripes of the season as well as a couple snapshots of a mulch job we did.

2brothersyardcare
03-28-2009, 04:22 PM
nice that get edged?

Kennedy Landscaping
03-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Nice work, that black mulch is really starting to grow on me alot lately. I can't hardly find it around here though.

4.3mudder
03-28-2009, 10:29 PM
I like the mulch job, but not the color, I hardly recommend black to customers because it looks like dirt. Overall nice.

grassman177
03-28-2009, 10:35 PM
color is truly in the eye of the beholder. i am color blind so the darker the mulch, the more the plants stand out!!!! light colored mulch just does not look right as the plants blend in too much for me to see them well. customers may see that way too, to each his own.

4.3mudder
03-28-2009, 10:48 PM
color is truly in the eye of the beholder. i am color blind so the darker the mulch, the more the plants stand out!!!! light colored mulch just does not look right as the plants blend in too much for me to see them well. customers may see that way too, to each his own.

I just really like the red mulch in everything. To me, it helps the plants and hedges stand out more.

J & D Greens
03-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Nice stripes, is the mulch recycled tires?

Sherry Lawn and Landscape
03-29-2009, 01:57 AM
nice stripes man, you like the standers? Thats all we use

CoupesCuts
03-29-2009, 08:28 AM
I just really like the red mulch in everything. To me, it helps the plants and hedges stand out more.

eek. Red mulch is the worst. About 6-7 years ago everyone went bonkers over the stuff. It was used everywhere. No matter where you drove in town you saw red mulch and belgium block. Thank god thats over. We've all gotten smart and moved on to black or brown. I personally stay away from those too. The best mulches up here are hemlock and sweet peet. I use one or the other for all my jobs. No dye, just natural color.

4.3mudder
03-29-2009, 08:54 AM
eek. Red mulch is the worst. About 6-7 years ago everyone went bonkers over the stuff. It was used everywhere. No matter where you drove in town you saw red mulch and belgium block. Thank god thats over. We've all gotten smart and moved on to black or brown. I personally stay away from those too. The best mulches up here are hemlock and sweet peet. I use one or the other for all my jobs. No dye, just natural color.

Well, around in the area that I do, a lot of people do not even have flower beds with anything in them. So, red around here you are hardly able to find. I have seen brown, and a litte bit of black. Sometimes, nothing at all, it just being dirt. But, everyone has their own opinions, and the customers really like going with the red.

PerfectEarth
03-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Red mulch is in the top 5 list of horrible landscape blights... Along with misplaced topiaries, landscape fabric, rock mulch, and lawn ornaments. It's cheesy and low rent.

4.3mudder
03-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Red mulch is in the top 5 list of horrible landscape blights... Along with misplaced topiaries, landscape fabric, rock mulch, and lawn ornaments. It's cheesy and low rent.

I always thought that the red mulch looked good in areas? It would help spark the scenery.

grassman177
03-29-2009, 09:34 AM
i dont like red either, but have one customer tha requests it. oh well. they arent perfect!

hvphotog
03-29-2009, 09:39 AM
have a dumb question for everyone.. how do you get the stripes?

addictedtolandscaping
03-30-2009, 07:45 AM
I agree with the red, I absolutely hate it with a passion. I agree with the Hemlock, not so much the sweet peat as it is triple ground and blows all over the place. Best stuff I ever got was out of a saw mill that was just all double ground, no more no less, stuff was fantastic.

With any luck, I will find a tub grinder reasonable price and start making my own, we have about 25 acres of Hemlock, so it would be the cat's a$$. Clean up our property and get paid for it, how can you beat that.

If the mowers are walkers, they just stripe like no ones business, Dixie's do a fantastic job as well. I run stripe kits on the Ferris'

mowinginva
03-30-2009, 11:41 AM
have a dumb question for everyone.. how do you get the stripes?

Well, some people use striper kits. A lot of mowers will leave a stripe w/o a stripe kit. When you mow it lays the grass over in the direction you're going leaving the grass light or dark depending on which direction you're looking from. Of course, you have to mow up and down the lawn not around in a circle.

mowinginva
03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
nice that get edged?

We used a Stihl fs130 w/ the edger attatchment and edged the beds. Then we pulled some dirt out along the edge; that way we were able to bring the mulch down below the edge. I have to confess, that was our first mulch job. We're getting into landscaping more now.
I really like the black mulch. It seems to set off the things around it. Don't know what the mulch was made out of, but it seemed pretty good. Nice to work with.
We have one Wright Sentar 61". Very pleased with it so far. Our other mowers are 2 walk behinds and one small self-propelled. John Deere and Exmark.

Green Finger
03-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Nice stripes, I like the beds.

I like red mulch because the customers has to pay more for red and black.
So whatever the customer is paying I'm liking.

Personally I don't have the red at my house.:nono: