PDA

View Full Version : My new Grandstand

lilweeds
03-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Haven't used it yet, but it looks like a good machine. I do have one minor concern. Will the belt guard actually stay on the deck? they are only secures in two spots with rubber grommets. It certainly doesn't look like they'll stay on the deck.

The Toro Company
04-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Hello lilweeds - In addition to the rubber grommets you referenced, the belt cover is retained by a quick-release swell latch. The swell latch allows for quick and easy removal and replacement of the belt cover during routine maintenance, but the system is indeed prone to some cover vibration/movement, particularly when traveling over rough terrain. At the customer's option, the swell latch may be replaced with a threaded knob (installed by a Toro dealer free of charge). The threaded knob design still allows for removal and replacement of the belt cover without tools, but it provides greater clamping force, and in turn less vibration/movement of the cover during operation.

Thanks - The Toro Company

lilweeds
04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
I did use it, and they stayed on better then I thought. Do you have the part number for that kit?

The Toro Company
04-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I did use it, and they stayed on better then I thought. Do you have the part number for that kit?

There is no kit for the belt cover knobs. Because the conversion uses existing Toro parts, a bulletin containing a list of the necessary parts and installation instructions was simply provided to all dealers who carry Toro Landscape Contractor Equipment.

Thanks - The Toro Company

tglasslawncare
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
lilweeds. How do you like your grandstand so far? I am thinking of trading my z-master in for a gs 19 h.p. 48". My walkbehind was not worth repairing and I was thinking I could not replace rather buy a grandstand and trade the Z. Did you get a chance to really run it yet? Thanks for your help.

lilweeds
04-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I've ran it on a few 1/4-3/4 acre lots and so far I like it. Last year my set up was a Kubota ZD 25 and a scag 48 WB. I went with the 52 since it's right in between. The cut is perfect. I was surprised the shields didn't fall off, so I'm not sure the repair above is needed. I've only put a couple hours on it, so it's still like new, but hills are great, it won't lift no matter what anyone tells you. I'd buy another.

ddp
04-08-2009, 05:43 PM
lilweeds,
Do you like your kubota?

lilweeds
04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I sold it over the winter, all I have now is this GS. The Kubota was ok, there are alot of things I liked. The front axle doubling as a jack and the engine, well it's unstopable. However it was HEAVY, up till last years model you couldn't lock the axle straight which made it cut uneven and the cut from the machine was just so so. My GS cuts so much cleaner and I would recommend the Turbo Force deck over any other I've tried.

The reason I sold it, was I needed the cash over the winter with the slow fall I had and I think the right side hydro was starting to give out on it. It was real weak on that side going up the hills. From what I'm told it's not a cheap fix on those machines. Anyhow this is a Toro forum, no more Kubota talk!

lilweeds
04-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Ok guys, it's been a few weeks, let's talk some more about this machine.

First I must say this is much better then riding. I love how it hold hills, the comfort of standing, the visibility. Yes I can say standing is better. Turbo Force cuts better then anything I have used.

Now lets talk downsides....

Don't get me wrong I am in the for the long haul and will be patient, but the quality control over there at Toro needs MAJOR help.

Right side wheel motor housing..... Not one but two missing welds. Didn't notice at first till I started to feel a clunking and then saw the right side wheel toe in then out when changing direction, not good.

Second hardware, come on tightening a bolt correctly isn't hard. Now I have gone over everything, and alot was loose. Somethings like the left front deck strut bolt keeps coming loose. Any fixes for that?

Platform falls down when walking behind, and damm it hurts the shin when it falls! Not much I can do but put a washer behind the strike plate maybe.

Last a few suggestions......

One shorten the spacer on the park brake a 1/8 inch or so, that way the nut can stay tight.

Second the lock for transport height needs to be taller and thicker. Good bump and it pops off and I know if I don't someone will break it off.

Third, MORE REVERSE SPEED! I'm not talking 90MPH, but come on it is way too slow!

I am sure there will be other things. I also understand it's the first year of this machine. It is all understandable that things happen.

Mr. Toro my dealer is Walker Mower and Equipment in Reading, PA can you make sure my new right side wheel motor housing and Hydro filters are a big priority to you! Also he needs the parts to clamp the belt shield on the deck better, and the less I have to visit the dealer the better.

lilweeds
04-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks to Toro for the call today. Sounds as if you are aware of the little issues and prepared to continue improving what is a great machine. Walker's called and everything is ready to go! All fixed up. Thanks again!

tglasslawncare
04-30-2009, 09:41 PM
My dealer told me to bring my GS back after 10 hours and they would go over everything. Do you think I should ask them to check it over again. I had it there last week and now have 14 hours. Thanks Tom

lilweeds
05-01-2009, 07:14 PM
If I were you I'd look it over my self. Did your hand brake lever come loose? Did you have any issues? If you'd like give me a ring 610-802-0744

tglasslawncare
05-03-2009, 10:02 PM
No issues yet. Just under 20 hours. I did take it in at 10 hours like the dealer had asked and I told them you had the hand brake lever issue. He said the mad sure it was tight. The dealer again said bring it in at no more than 10 hours so they could make sure everything was tight and to change the oil. I thought this was routine but never had a brand new machine like this one. I will keep you informed if I have any issues. Thanks for your help and info. I appreciate it.

KCfireman
05-03-2009, 11:02 PM
pics pics pics!!!!

tglasslawncare
05-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Bolt came off deck last. The bolt that holds the deck up on the front right of the mower. Just feel off in the middle of mowing. Did not notice right away until some scalping was happening. Could not find it. Took it to the dealer and had it back in 2 hours. A bit of an pain in the you know what during prime mowing season. Dealer was so busy I just pick-ed up the mower and did not get a chance to talk them about the problem. The are a super dealer. I am just upset that it happen with only 28 hours on a practically new machine. I had to call my customer and apologize for scalping marks. Lost a few hours of mowing that day. Trying to not let it bother me too much. Just wanted to let you know.

lilweeds
05-14-2009, 04:38 PM
TG,

Toro sent me some replacement hardware that is holding up much better. Unfortunately I didn't save the part numbers, or at least I don't think I did. If I can find them I will get them to you to give to your dealer. Maybe Toro Company can chime in with the numbers? They also gave me an extra to replace the nut for the brake handle. It hasn't come loose since.

Rich

tglasslawncare
05-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks I appreciate the info

lilweeds
06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Well I must commend Toro again. This past Saturday I picked up my second Grandstand. They made a few improvements for the later serial number units. Fixing all the hardware issues and a few things I didn't expect! The plastic belt covers are stout and will not go anywhere. The longer brake handle is nice. The only thing I noticed that maybe should be fitted to all models is the hose guards on the frame to keep the Hydro hoses from rubbing the lift arms.

Toro is there a way to fit the new covers to the old units. The knobs keep the metal ones on, but the rattle alot and don't stay centered.

Rich

PS Pics will follow soon I promise.

robertsturf
06-21-2009, 11:11 AM
We are having not stop problems with the throttle cable on one of our units. They have fixed the pulley covers with the new hardware. We are still having the same issues with the parking brakes!! I wish they had demo'd this more without having us doing it for them. Let a LCO use one for 2-3 mo's and then get some real feed-back. All-in-all still a great mower just aggrevated these problems are still occuring!! BTW we decided to take off the muffler guard on the one that was having the throttle cable issue, we felt the heat was being held in around the cable causing the failure. 2 cables so far and needing a 3rd. Around 100hrs on both mowers.

lilweeds
06-21-2009, 09:19 PM
I have 100 on one no issues with the cable yet.

The Toro Company
06-22-2009, 02:27 PM
We are having not stop problems with the throttle cable on one of our units. They have fixed the pulley covers with the new hardware. We are still having the same issues with the parking brakes!! I wish they had demo'd this more without having us doing it for them. Let a LCO use one for 2-3 mo's and then get some real feed-back. All-in-all still a great mower just aggrevated these problems are still occuring!! BTW we decided to take off the muffler guard on the one that was having the throttle cable issue, we felt the heat was being held in around the cable causing the failure. 2 cables so far and needing a 3rd. Around 100hrs on both mowers.

Robertsturf -

Please contact a Toro dealer and have him replace the current nut on the parking brake with a 32128-21. This should solve the parking brake problem.

While we understand your motivation for removing the muffler guard, we do not think the presence of the muffler guard is the source of the throttle cable problems you are experiencing. As you suggest, we actually did run several machines with landscape contractors for an extended period of time prior to going into production. These machines contained the same muffler guard that you find on the production machines, and the contractors that ran the prototype units did not experience problems with the throttle control. We cannot say with certainty what is causing your issues, but we have received similar reports from other customers. We are investigating whether it is variability in the resistance on this throttle control plate that is causing some customers to experience the issue, while others are not. Kawasaki has a spring on the back side of the throttle plate to prevent the engine from backing off from full throttle. The spring goes "over center" at about 80% of throttle travel. If the throttle control is moved to the fast position very slowly, the spring tension has the potential of not allowing the throttle to be moved fully. The problem can generally be overcome by moving the throttle control in a brisk, steady motion to push through the resistance.

The Toro Company

The Toro Company
06-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Well I must commend Toro again. This past Saturday I picked up my second Grandstand. They made a few improvements for the later serial number units. Fixing all the hardware issues and a few things I didn't expect! The plastic belt covers are stout and will not go anywhere. The longer brake handle is nice. The only thing I noticed that maybe should be fitted to all models is the hose guards on the frame to keep the Hydro hoses from rubbing the lift arms.

Toro is there a way to fit the new covers to the old units. The knobs keep the metal ones on, but the rattle alot and don't stay centered.

PS Pics will follow soon I promise.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Glad to hear you approve of the updates. Putting the new belt covers on older machines requires some grinding and drilling 12 new mounting holes. It can certainly be done, but the decks are made of 7-gauge high strength steel so it will take a lot of elbow grease, a few drill bits and patience. If youíre still interested we can get engineering to put together some directions. Let us know what you think.

The Toro Company

robertsturf
07-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Ok I have tried all the above mententioned "fixes" for the too small throttle cable and now both of them need to be replaced again. The 3rd for one of the units and the 2nd for the other. I want this FIXED! I am tired of taking the mowers to the dealer every week and having them band-aid fix them. WE spent $15K on these mowers and I am feeling like we are being used as Guinea Pigs. You can spin it any way you want but these 2 machines are lemons in reguards to the throttle cables. I don't want to wait another 2-3 months for the right cable to be manufactured. These machines don't even have 100 hrs on them each and we have yet to solve this problem. I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating this is. I cannot send them out with the workers unless you leave them at full throttle all the time. The mowers are backfiring when you shut them down at full throttle so I can only imagine at some point it will be doing some kind of damage to the engines. VERY FRUSTRATED!!!

lilweeds
07-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Backfiring won't hurt the motor, now the muffler maybe, but not the motor. I can't believe you've replaced many cable, both of my units work fine in that aspect. I will say if you slowly move the cable to full throttle it doesn't go, but as long as you move the lever fairly fast it works as it's supposed to.

robertsturf
07-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I have tried moving them a varying speeds with the same results. When the units get hot it doesn't matter. I even put some heat shielding material over the cables on one unit to see if that helps.

lwelve
07-08-2009, 07:02 AM
My rubber grommets are already gone and machine has about 125 hrs on it, belt guards are a little cheap, I think, with regards to the latching system, should have been studs and knobs. My machine is slower than what Toro advertises, especially in reverse.
Have had my share of little problems with my Grandstand.

robertsturf
07-08-2009, 08:31 AM
So far no phone calls from TORO!!!

lilweeds
07-09-2009, 07:43 PM
If I have time I will post the TSB to fix the reverse issue. If not your dealer can print them out, or better yet make them do it.

There is also on for the belt guards to replace the rubber latch with a wing nut.

robertsturf
07-12-2009, 05:02 PM
BTW I found out that Toro is on vacation until Aug 3rd. Kind of odd way to run a business, no one returning phone calls for that long!!

TXNSLighting
07-12-2009, 05:05 PM
theres no way the customer support people are on vaca...youre just refering to the guy here. You can still call toro direct for problems. Or your dealer.

robertsturf
07-12-2009, 06:50 PM
theres no way the customer support people are on vaca...youre just refering to the guy here. You can still call toro direct for problems. Or your dealer.

No that is not correct!. I have 3 different contacts with Toro, 2 national and 1 regional sales rep and they are all on vacation.

lilweeds
07-12-2009, 07:56 PM
What do you need a sales rep for?

robertsturf
07-12-2009, 10:04 PM
He handles the local dealer issues with recalls, bulletins and other issues like the problems we are dealing with.

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-02-2009, 08:16 PM
If I have time I will post the TSB to fix the reverse issue. If not your dealer can print them out, or better yet make them do it.

There is also on for the belt guards to replace the rubber latch with a wing nut.

how about that TSB.........

Bob_n_weave
08-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I have 70 + hours on my Grand Stand. The only problem I have is sometimes the Deck will lower by itself when in the locked raised position. Seems it only takes a bump too cause the lever too unlock. When Im going on/off Trailor I have to watch closely or the blades will scrape where Ramp / Trailor connect.

Any suggestions Toro ? I really hate nicking my blades up because of this.

The Toro Company
08-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I have 70 + hours on my Grand Stand. The only problem I have is sometimes the Deck will lower by itself when in the locked raised position. Seems it only takes a bump too cause the lever too unlock. When Im going on/off Trailor I have to watch closely or the blades will scrape where Ramp / Trailor connect.

Any suggestions Toro ? I really hate nicking my blades up because of this.

Bob_n_weave -

We're glad to hear your GrandStand is performing well. As for the deck "jumping" out of the transport position when being trailered, an easy solution is to move the HOC pin into the 5" position after the lever is placed in the transport position. Then if the lever jumps out of transport it will catch on the pin and prevent the deck from dropping too low. Hope that helps.

- The Toro Company

Perry Lawn & Landscape
08-19-2009, 06:01 PM
I am having trouble with the cable, brake, loose hardware, vibration in the covers also all have been giving me problems too! But its cut is the best ive ever seen!! love the mower.

lilweeds
08-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I hear the fix for the cable will be out soon, it will pull the plate the full throttle instead of push.

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-20-2009, 07:11 PM
I am still trying to get 8mph of the mower.....6.5 is the best I have gotten

Bigkaluna
08-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Very Nice info. I bought the first Grandstand in April out here in Iowa. We had a few nuts fall off while mowing but have replaced them with locking nuts. The parking brake does fall down as well as the deck arm. We put are cutting height pin at the 5" mark and it holds deck better in travel.

My dealer is great on all the issues of this new machine. the mower is great and once all the bugs are out it will be that much better.

lilweeds
06-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm becoming very disappointed quickly. I have 2 emails into the Toro guys and have not heard back two weeks later. I have one that is cutting like crap, and one that won't achieve any kind of real speed. Not giving up, and still feel it's a great mower, but really need to get these issues resolved and the dealer hasn't been much help.

Bigkaluna
06-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Cutting problem? When I had a bad cut with the mower I would check to make sure deck is clear of clumps of grass. Also sometimes my blades would be dull.

In another instance all those items would be fine, then I would try crosscutting the yard and find that some lawns are very uneven.

The only other problem I had was the bolts that lower the deck would loosen and make the deck uneven when it cut. It just happened last week and I put locking nuts on the screw. Don't know why they would not do that in the first place. oh well Good Luck:cool2: