PDA

View Full Version : How do you pay for drive time?

TroutBum
03-29-2009, 04:07 PM
I would like to know how some of you with hourly employees are paying for drive time at the beginning and end of the day. Do you pay from the moment they leave the shop to the moment they return? Do you pay from the time they leave the shop to the time they finish the last job of the day? Just curious how others are doing this. Thanks

Tommy Boy
03-29-2009, 04:30 PM
I would like to know how some of you with hourly employees are paying for drive time at the beginning and end of the day. Do you pay from the moment they leave the shop to the moment they return? Do you pay from the time they leave the shop to the time they finish the last job of the day? Just curious how others are doing this. Thanks

From the time they report to the time they clock out they are your employees, and they have every expectation to be paid for the entire time they sepnd working for you. You can't nickle and dime this. You have to pay it. You have to deduct the drive time out of your total production day time and ensure your are charing enough to cover the drive time and also maintenance, and breaks the crew takes. This is why bigger outfits have to charge more per job, due to overhead just like this.

bohiaa
03-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Dont be cheap, pay these guys for ride time........

FLCthes4:11-12
03-29-2009, 06:18 PM
We do mostly landscape install and typically go to one job site per day. I pay from the time we leave the shop until we leave the job unless we have to load or unload once we get back to the shop. Most other construction companies operate this way or it is the employee to get to the construction site. This is just my opinion and the way I do things.

Tim Johnson
03-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I think the only way around not paying your guys for drive time is to pay them by piece work. Pay them a set amount for every lawn they mow. Only bad part about that is the crews quality of work will start to go down.

LB1234
03-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Do you pay from the time they leave the shop to the time they finish the last job of the day?

Last I checked slavery was abolished.