PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Kayak Fishing

Flow Control
03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Anyone fishing with a yak? If so what model and any modifications? I am looking into purchasing one for use in small freshwater lakes, but I also plan on taking it to Florida during the winter months to fish in the flats.

Valk
03-29-2009, 11:59 PM
I've considered getting a kayak for way too long. It seems like it would be a great upper-body/core workout while communing with nature...I never liked gyms.
I'm not looking to tackle any whitewater...so what would a guy need to spend to get set up?

Flow Control
03-30-2009, 05:55 AM
If you were just looking for a standard kayak I would guess to say 150-300 if you bought used from craigslist, ebay or another avenue to find a used yak. Pretty much new kayaks start out in the 400's and up to 2000 depending on what you buy. It is a good way to exercise.

poolboy
03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I use an Hobie Revolution for fresh and salt water fishing. It's stable and very quick with the mirage drive system, but I use the upgraded turbo fins.

capelawncare.com
03-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Anyone fishing with a yak? If so what model and any modifications? I am looking into purchasing one for use in small freshwater lakes, but I also plan on taking it to Florida during the winter months to fish in the flats.

Lots of guys fish skinny water from kayaks down here. I have not yet fished from one, but I would definitly recomend a sea kayak vs a river kayak if you are fishing. They are a lot faster.

Flow Control
03-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Lots of guys fish skinny water from kayaks down here. I have not yet fished from one, but I would definitly recomend a sea kayak vs a river kayak if you are fishing. They are a lot faster.

Hows it going Cape,

I blame my new found addiction to the area you live in. I spent close to two months in Cape Coral and Placida this winter. We fished the Boca Grande pass. Amazing stuff. We yaked flats in that area as well. My wife and I are going to look for a winter place this fall on Pine Island unless prices shoot back up. Good Stuff. Send me a pm if you service SE Cape by Nicholas & Country Club.

Cape: Check your links on your website, looks like atleast one is broken

Flow Control
03-30-2009, 08:05 PM
I use an Hobie Revolution for fresh and salt water fishing. It's stable and very quick with the mirage drive system, but I use the upgraded turbo fins.

Helava kayak set-up you have there. I am looking at a Emotion: Mojo Angler, looks to fit my needs and price point. You have any advice on rigging the yak.

eagle irrigation
03-30-2009, 09:47 PM
poolboy, How does the Revolution paddle? I have a demo set up to try out a revolution and outback. I want to be able to paddle as well as peddle. The idea of hands free fishing/drinking sounds great.

poolboy
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM
poolboy, How does the Revolution paddle? I have a demo set up to try out a revolution and outback. I want to be able to paddle as well as peddle. The idea of hands free fishing/drinking sounds great.
It peddles much like riding a bike. The rudder control is to the left and simply moves left and right. Had I known there was going to be a thread, I would have shot some pictures last weekend while I was out on the lake.

FYI, the rudder engagement changed in the 09 models and apparently uses a non-stainless steel spring. The local service guy at the kak shop told me that they were expecting issues with this new design.

Here is forum that I checked out before buying mine last year.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/

Flow Control
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Post pics of your set-ups when you get a chance

OrangeToys
04-01-2009, 07:25 PM
anyone have pics that they can post?

OrangeToys
04-01-2009, 08:40 PM
what type of kayaks do you use? I'm new to this idea but it sound fun, since I like fishing and the outdoors.

Downeast
04-01-2009, 09:05 PM
I use an Ocean Kayak ..... Thats the brand name ... This style of Kayak is very popular .. The Hobies with the mirage drive are very nice .. Here is a pic of my prowler 13 ..

OrangeToys
04-01-2009, 09:09 PM
this is probably a dumb question but what types of water do you use it? Im in southern missouri and I don't know if this a real popular thing here. So I don't know where I would go.

mikeg1005
04-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I've got a Walden Walden Adirondack I love it. I put pics up at some point.

Flow Control
04-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I got the kayak that I was looking at for freshwater lakes:
http://www.emotionkayaks.com/HTML/Kayaks/Mojo_ang.htm

Tried it out today for about 30 minutes on a small pond and landed a 3+lb bass trolling with a 6' deep Rapala Fat Rap lure. Now I am excited to get out on some bigger lakes, but I think I will stick with the small ones a couple of more times to work out any "kinks" I have with my set up.

poolboy
04-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I got the kayak that I was looking at for freshwater lakes:
http://www.emotionkayaks.com/HTML/Kayaks/Mojo_ang.htm

Tried it out today for about 30 minutes on a small pond and landed a 3+lb bass trolling with a 6' deep Rapala Fat Rap lure. Now I am excited to get out on some bigger lakes, but I think I will stick with the small ones a couple of more times to work out any "kinks" I have with my set up.

Congrats on the new purchase. Make sure that you're always wearing a PFD and practice getting back on your yak when you turtle...and you will.

Flow Control
04-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Good advice. The lake temps are in the mid to upper 40's now. So I guess I will wait until the lakes warm up so I can practice getting back on before I start going on the larger lakes. Trying to find decent Fish finder, what are you guys using? I wore my PFD today so I could get used to it and I was really surprised that the only thing that bothered me while wearing it was where it was hitting the backrest on my seat. Other then that I didn't even notice it.

Flow Control
04-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Today I used a 10' 3/4" pvc stick to shore up in shallow areas, inserted through the scupper. That worked great, I am going to get a anchor here shortly as well. I think I have a place for everything that is easy to get to. I am installing a Humminbird 565 later this week. So when you install the transducer you ARE? able to mount it inside the Yak and glue it to the bottom? Or is it better to mount in the scupper?

poolboy
04-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Today I used a 10' 3/4" pvc stick to shore up in shallow areas, inserted through the scupper. That worked great, I am going to get a anchor here shortly as well. I think I have a place for everything that is easy to get to. I am installing a Humminbird 565 later this week. So when you install the transducer you ARE? able to mount it inside the Yak and glue it to the bottom? Or is it better to mount in the scupper?

Look at hooking up the anchor via a trolley.

Yes, the transducer is installed on the bottom-inside of the yak. Also, be sure to look at the Lowrange X50 fish finder. It has a kit for installation on yaks, plus, it gives a wider range in shallow water.

Flow Control
04-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice Poolboy, much appreciated.

Here is a pic of one I caught the other day. Biggest Bass I have ever caught. Being stealth in the Yak makes targeting areas much easier. It measured 18" and my guess would be in the 4lb+ range. That was the best pic I could get with the phone camera.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/SenorBob08/4lb.jpg

glfredrick
04-17-2009, 08:09 PM
I use an Ocean Kayak ..... Thats the brand name ... This style of Kayak is very popular .. The Hobies with the mirage drive are very nice .. Here is a pic of my prowler 13 ..

My first choice also. You can stand up on these!

Flow Control
05-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Here are some pics of my set-up

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/SenorBob08/yak3.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/SenorBob08/yak2.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/SenorBob08/yak1.jpg

poolboy
06-27-2009, 12:13 PM
As promised, here are a few from last weekend. I only had time to get out on a local lake; the fish were there, but just weren't hitting, nor was I trying all that hard. Anyway, this is my 08' Hobie Revolution....

Flow Control
11-22-2009, 07:34 AM
I have made my trip to Florida for the winter and here is a pic of my first catch.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/SenorBob08/1stflfishfall09.jpg

Valk
11-24-2009, 12:42 PM
WOW! And, fascinating!!

Can one paddle and pedal together?

Or, is the MirageDrive just a hands down more natural means of propulsion?