PDA

View Full Version : plate compactor problem

bigviclbi
03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Saturday afternoon after a long day of tamping after a winter of sitting my stone plate compactor was running fine but would not move forward, kind of staying in one spot. Changed air filter and checked oil seemed fine. now this tamper is about 5 years old and I have never done anything besides air filter and spark plugs. Could it be the belt is loose/worn? What actually drives the plate compactor forward?

NEUSWEDE
03-29-2009, 11:03 PM
did you check the plate and make sure it was clean and didn't have anything sticking to it. I know mine wont go if stuff is stuck to the bottom, uually have to flip it over and scrape off with a shovel.

Rex Mann
03-30-2009, 01:39 AM
there is a drive belt. It's like 10 bucks. We always carry spares.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaverExperts.Com

Bru75
03-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Saturday afternoon after a long day of tamping after a winter of sitting my stone plate compactor was running fine but would not move forward, kind of staying in one spot. Changed air filter and checked oil seemed fine. now this tamper is about 5 years old and I have never done anything besides air filter and spark plugs. Could it be the belt is loose/worn? What actually drives the plate compactor forward?

Was it still vibrating as much as usual? If not it's probably your belt slipping.

GreenLight
03-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I had the exact same problem and like everyone is saying, it turned out to be the belt. Of course in my situation it became obvious when the machine started spitting chunks of the belt out like shrapnel.

btammo
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
yep loose belt.