PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting ZTR so it goes straight.

astewart
03-29-2009, 09:26 PM
I bought a Craftsman ZTR last week for personel use and it was delivered today.

I noticed when I go full speed on the bike path in front of my house it veers quickly to the left.

Is that something that is common with these or did I just get one where they didn't qa it?

Thanks..

doubleedge
03-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Take it to sears and have them adjust it. Im sure your warranty will cover it. You wont find many craftsman ztr owners around here, I dont think.

astewart
03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks doubleedge, I'll do that..

Mowbizz
03-29-2009, 11:05 PM
I bought a Craftsman ZTR last week for personel use and it was delivered today.

I noticed when I go full speed on the bike path in front of my house it veers quickly to the left.

Is that something that is common with these or did I just get one where they didn't qa it?

Thanks..

Not bashing, but it was probably put together by the kid in the back room...lol
There should be a "tracking adjustment" but I don't know how it's done on this machine, or if there even is one. Did you get a manual with it? Read up...it may be a simple turn of a nut...

astewart
03-29-2009, 11:16 PM
I did get a manual. It has a procedure to put it up on jack stands, diconnect some wires rotate the control rod until the corrisponding wheel stops turning while in nuetral.

That sounds like an adjustment to set it for neutral not when moving but I suppose it might do both.

betmr
03-29-2009, 11:31 PM
I did get a manual. It has a procedure to put it up on jack stands, diconnect some wires rotate the control rod until the corrisponding wheel stops turning while in nuetral.

That sounds like an adjustment to set it for neutral not when moving but I suppose it might do both.

Take it back and let them adjust it. The one bad thing about sears nowadays is they will not give you any service or repair information any more. P**sed me off, sell you all these tools, but won't share any service info with you, so you can use them. The most you'll get from them now is what's in the owners manual, and directions on how to get to the service center.

Truth be told, their stuff is crap anymore anyway, they really shouldn't be in the ZTR business, but they see a market in homeowners, so they build something cheap that you can ride around the yard on. Heck it might not even have any tracking adjustments.

Good luck to you, you'll probably be back there a few times getting the adjustment right. :hammerhead:

Mowbizz
03-29-2009, 11:33 PM

Worth a try...:drinkup:

ricky86
03-30-2009, 12:13 AM
The adjustment procedure in the manual is correct. You adjust it for neutral. Small adjustments go a long way. First check tire pressure.

topsites
03-30-2009, 02:10 AM
Other than perhaps checking tire pressures...

Anytime a machine doesn't work off the shelf, take it back.
Maybe it is a simple adjustment, maybe it's a manufacturing defect, who knows, who cares.
A brand new machine should work without a hitch, turn the key and go.
Now they may not replace it, but the more you fool with it, the less likely it is they would just give you another.

Especially under warranty, less than 30 days, load it right on up and take it back,
explain nicely the problem and let them have at it.

TPnTX
03-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Thats all a waste of time they can't fix it. Put it on street with a curb, going full throttle slam it into the curb opposite the side it's pulling. Repeat if necessary.

GracesLandscaping
03-30-2009, 09:10 AM
if its too bad im sure it could be adjusted. but ive ran several leading brand ztr's and i have NEVERbeen on one that would go straight... i just dont think its possible while running them wide open

Mowbizz
03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
if its too bad im sure it could be adjusted. but ive ran several leading brand ztr's and i have NEVERbeen on one that would go straight... i just dont think its possible while running them wide open

This is true...my Lazer HP is pretty good at most mowing speeds but there is a couple of yards that I can push her to wide open and she just tracks a bit to the left...no big deal though.

milike
03-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Thats all a waste of time they can't fix it. Put it on street with a curb, going full throttle slam it into the curb opposite the side it's pulling. Repeat if necessary.

rotflmao:clapping::clapping::clapping:

saylorsdad
03-30-2009, 11:32 AM
assuming it's just a problem at wide open throttle I would ignore it. Most non commercial ztr's pull left at wot I think. I always they designed them that way so you will turn with the discharge blowing away from things. I have played the adjustments on my snapper 250z and if I get it balanced it doesn't turn around as fast. Seems it needs more rear pull from left tire, and more forward from right tire. After balancing it, I quickly set it so it did pull to left. Took it back to the shop, and me and owner "of the shop" adjusted it some more, he seemed to agree that it needed to be a bit out of balance to work properly.

astewart
03-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Well it pulls towards the discharge, not sure if that's worse or better. Anyways I put it up on Jacks and in neutral the wheels don't spin so any adjustment there would screw up neutral.

It does turn quickly in my opinion, in fact way open one lever needs to be about an inch from it's max just to go straight.

I called Sears, they are going to send someone out but I doubt he can do anything about it. The hydrogears are running on the same pulley at the same speed so what can he do?