PDA

View Full Version : Need help with weeds

Sythik
03-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Im looking for advice on maintaining a yard of grass this year instead of weeds. Right now my yard is covered in weeds and is so tall I need to mow it badly. The problem is its soaking wet, I live in North Mississippi minutes from Memphis, it rains here every other day this time of year. I dont know if I should mow it then spread some type of weed killer or spread the weed killer first? And I have no idea what kind of stuff to use. Any Help?

kirk1701
03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
My advice and what I did was completely kill off the yard with round-up. I tried planing in the spring but as far south as you are (much like me) I had better results planting in the fall and let winter thicken up the yard.

Come spring, which is where I am now with my back yard just spot spray with weed killer.

A little hint, ortho weed b gon is great but specticide Weed stop works better and kills more faster and pssss its cheaper then weed b gon :)

bluridge
03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
specticide is junk to me. Does not work THAT fast and yeah...its cheap for a reason. IMO the ortho stuff acts much faster. you get what you pay for.

Sythik
03-31-2009, 03:15 AM
I got the yard mowed today, it hadnt rained and the ground was mostly dry. With mostly my whole yard needing treatment is this the best option: Ortho® Weed B Gon MAX® for Southern Lawns Concentrate? Just mix it in one of those bottle sprayers and do the whole yard.

ussoldierforhire
03-31-2009, 03:38 AM
Depends on what weeds you have. Don't treat a freshly cut lawn. Wait a few days for the leaves to grow. Herbicide needs contact with the leaves. Read the label, make sure it wont kill your type of grass. Lastly, search this forum for information on pre-emergent herbicides to prevent future weeds from germinating.

kirk1701
03-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Depends on what weeds you have. Don't treat a freshly cut lawn. Wait a few days for the leaves to grow. Herbicide needs contact with the leaves. Read the label, make sure it wont kill your type of grass. Lastly, search this forum for information on pre-emergent herbicides to prevent future weeds from germinating.

Give you guys an idea what I do, keep a journal, anything and everything new that I do I write down (MS Word is great for this and since I teach MS word just works well for me) and even note when I appled scheduled fertilizer applications. Before I try something new I always go back and note the results of what I tried so I know next time.

Some of my enties:
Note I also include how much it takes so I know how much to buy next year at this time :)
Early Spring Application: Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizer with 2% Iron 29X2X4
• Apply at first sign of warm weather and when grass starts to get green.
• This year was March 10, 2009
• Before rain if possible
• Need two 15,000 Sq Ft bags but will only use half of the second bag so can use the other half is spots are missed or the following year. Can also buy two 5,000 SQ Ft bags rather than the second 15,000 SQ Ft bag.

March 22, 2009
1. Spot treated front yard and sprayed entire back yard with Ortho Weed B Gon MAX Plus Crabgrass control to control early weeds coming up before spring application of Scotts weed and feed. Mixed as directed, 2.5 oz per gallon
• Preliminary results as of March 28, 2009, Some weeds have began to turn yellow but will take a second application to keep under control sometime in near future when whether pattern becomes more stable and dry conditions.
• Final results as of March 30, 2009, still see some yellow in weeds but also seeing new growth as well. Will save rest of bottle to spot treat weeds with over summer, but for now back to old faithful, see March 30, 2009 below.

March 30, 2009
Sprayed entire side (front yard) from fence to street and property line to first dogwood, also along street frontage and driveway with “Old Faithful” Spectracide Weed Stop® plus crabgrass killer to control crabgrass, mint and chick weeds coming up in new grass. Spot treated this area on March 22 but some weeds were either missed, are new or were unaffected.
• Mixed a little heaver then directions for spot treatment but not as heavy as directions for entire lawn treatment. (see Label) Mixed at 3 oz per gallon
• Was also applied same day grass was cut but weeds were not tall enough to see before grass was cut. Also 24 hours prior to rain but temps are in the 60’s for highs and 40’s for overnight lows which is within norms as per label.

kirk1701
04-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Just thought I'd post up some results of the March 30th application (see above) of Spectracide Weed Stop® plus crabgrass killer compared to Ortho Weed B Gon MAX.

I just took this pic tonight, April 2 when I got home and not only has the weeds started to turn brown the whole yard turned yellow where I applied it ;) which I am a bit concerned about being that it should not harm the grass just the weeds.

I might be able to get a better pic tomorrow but notice how green the grass is at the bottom of the pic. Then there is a clear line starting at the tree all the way the the pine trees you can see at the end of the lot.

Question, should I be worried about the yellowing? I used the material out of this same bottle last year and it did not do this? :confused:

ussoldierforhire
04-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Depends what type of grass you have. Certain weed killers will kill your lawn. Weed B gone isn't supposed to but it could definitely put a hurting on it for a bit. I wouldn't worry to much.

kirk1701
04-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Depends what type of grass you have. Certain weed killers will kill your lawn. Weed B gone isn't supposed to but it could definitely put a hurting on it for a bit. I wouldn't worry to much.

Thanks ussoldierforhire,
Originally I just wanted to use as the pic as a example for this thread and don't want to hi-jack the guys thread.

The yellowing looks worse then in pic and since I have a few questions I'm going to start a new thread for my problem.:dancing: